Scleritis help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a healthy female. Around a year ago the whites of my eyes turned completely red and i had horrendous headaches. I suffered facial pain around my brow bone and cheekbones. I went to A&E where i was referred by emergency appointment to see an opthamologist. This appointment wasn't until two days later - by the evening I simply couldn't wait this long. My temples were swelling and my sight was wavering so I went to a different A&E where I knew they had an eye department. After various tests two doctors told me I have episcleritis and i was prescribed drops.

I had two check up appointments where they said my eyes were still inflamed and I needed to continue with the drops.

I've struggled since and have seen various doctors who seem to do nothing. I saw a doctor this morning who told me that because my eyes aren't red, there is nothing they can do. I now know through research that i have scleritis and not episcleritis. 

The doctor also informed me there was no paperwork from my last FIVE hospital appointments.I am at my wits end and no family or friends understand.

At work, unless my eyes are red no one thinks anything is wrong. I am in so much pain with my face and my eyes are sore to touch.

Can anyone reccomend anything to help? Please.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethany, are you still suffering?. I've recently been diagnosed with Scleritis, my eyes are not always red, but the pain is real, in my eye, head, face and in my ear. Would be nice to know you got help and now better.
  • Posted

Bethany, I know you posted this a year ago but i just joined and was wondering if you found any help, I have scleritis for aroung 13 years, Just went to a rheumatioolist just recently who told me i did not havr RA or Lupus  and she could not help me. my opthamologist wants to put me on methotrexate, Im afraid to go on it, Ive been using Advil for my pain 2-4 evert 10-12 hours.My flares have gotten much worse and was wondering how you are coping, doesnt seem to be a lot of people with this, and I always feel like the doctors dont know what to do with me. Anyway, I would like to hear from you . Im trying to get as many opinions as i can.
  • Posted

No they know very little about this.  I have been having issues since 2006-2007, I went to different eye doctors and no one knew anything back then.  it was not common and most didn't knw what to make of it.  of course no one gave me a name or a diagnosis but everyone shoved prednisone in my face all the time.  

It would come and go randomly with no rhyme or reason.  Now in the last few years with chronic dry eye on the rise, they know more about this and now I have a name and a diagnosis to this thing that has just plagued me elusively for years.

But it is serious and can lead to permanent eye damage.  it is like having eye arthritis.  i don't know any good treatment for it as I think the doctors are still learning about it themselves.

but here is what i tell everyone

steroidal med, it will increase the pressure in your eye.  I have a friend who had eye surgery and they were put on steroid eye drops after the surgery.  it does help but it also increases the pressure in the eye at the same time. 

increase your omega vitamins, get a good eye vitamin with luetin, and some other vitamins good for the eye.  use thick articfical ointment at night like "genteal" and gel tears to use during the day.  a good NSAID will help and tramadol pain med will help subside the pain until it is manageable.  Reduce time in the day you spend on computers, tablets and smart phones.  keep the eye moist and clean throughout the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.