Coping with an ileostomy.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a side passage for 34years. I have a successful marrage,two beautiful daughters,ran sereral business's, played hours and hours of golf and tennis. I toured many parts of the world. If anyone out there needs advice or help coping with an ileostomy I would be glad to advise.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I used to anaesthetise patients undergoing colorectal surgery, and I have often wondered how I would cope with a stoma, although as yet, thankfully I have never had to find out - I think that it is wonderful that you are offering help to others in this way.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Dave,

i took great interest in your article and would love to get your advice and previous experience regarding the following:

I am undergoing surgery next week and as a result will have a permanent ileostomy. I am a 44 year old male and previously had a temporary ileostomy 16 years ago but the bag kept falling of my side. This in turn caused me serious confidence issues and as a result I did not leave my house till the reversal cured. Did you have any issues with securing the bag to your body and have you any advice on how to minimise the times that the bag falls off? I would love to live a full life with regards work and hobbies. 

Thanking you in advance,

Ollie

• Posted

Hi

I had a temp bag for 4 months after surgery and had the same problem as you ,the stomer nurse provided me with support pants that cured the problem and also eased the discomfort of the bag pulling on my skin

Hope this may be of help .....good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.