Symptoms that fibroid has grown?

Posted , 28 users are following.

I have very bloated/distended abdomen all the time (visibly protruding like I am about 6 months pregnant, not eating as much, have to wear a pad as bladder seems weaker, I had a scan a few years ago and they said I had a mini fibroid so not sure if it has grown or just being overweight.  What symptoms did everyone have when theirs had grown please?

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jayne sounds as if the fibroid may have grown. I have had a fibroid for over 2 years and in that time it has grown from 5cm to 15cm. I am having an open myomectomy next week. It doesn't cause me any pain but its got so big that I look pregnant! Also following my MRI scan my consultant advised that if it gets any bigger it may affect other organs. Might be a good idea to go back to your gynaecologist for advice. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi ffion28

I see your having mayomectomy in 1 wk times. I will having the same in 3 wk time. How you feeling about your up coming surgery?  even though I'm booked for a mayomectomy consultant r saying I shd consider hysterectomy because of the size of mine :-/ I dnt know what to do I just know I want this huge monster out!!  I'm scared if I have mayo the fibroid might grow bk and I just don't think I can bear to go through this all again, I just want my life bk!!

I do hope your surgery goes well keep me updated on your recovery I wud appericate any tips u may have thanks. 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm petrified!!  Keep researching the procedure on the Internet and finding different information. When I saw the consultant in April I was given the options of embolisation, hysterectomy, myomectomy or pregnancy! I opted for the myomectomy as although I have 2 children I don't want to have my uterus removed. I'm 37 and I don't fancy going through early menapouse. Embolisation was an option but only reduces the fibroid by up to 50 per cent then it can grow again. I realise there are risks involved with the myomectomy but guess there are with all major operations. The bit I'm dreading is the recovery especially with 2 young children!

I will keep you posted to how it goes. My operation is taking place next Wednesday at East Surrey Hospital. How you feeling about yours? By the way have been on esmya tablets for under 3 months to shrink the fibroid. Really convinced they are not working as my stomach is still big.

• Posted

Aww same here I have 2 kids to :-) yeah I was on them tables didn't do anything for me so they given me injection to reduce it instead which I feel is working I'm on second mth jab now and I have a still big but jelly belly lol it actually moves now.. before it was solid has a rock lol

Your like me im constantly on forum now trying to get has much info has poss, my consultant has said if I go hysterectomy route they will leave in my ovaries which is ment to delay menopause, but iv been reading does not alway work :-/ I'm just fed up why wud I want to go from one extreme to another..

I really dnt know what to do iv cried so much during the last couple of weeks my moods have been up and down. The whole open surgery does freak me out a little :-0 but it's got to be done cause I can't go on like this my dilemma is to keep my womb or not!

And the fact I'm going to be house bound for a good while I don't how I will cope with it and the children especially when school open cause 6 wk is a long time not being able to drive. 

Next wk will be here before you know it lucky you!! All the best :-)

• Posted

Oh know how you feel. Haven't been able to sleep with fretting about the operation. Think the tablets have made the "alien" (my nickname for the fibroid!) grow. We will be fine. I will keep you posted! 
    • Posted

Hi ffion28

This may be to soon but I was checking how your op went? Hope all went well. I'm on count down mine is a week on Monday x

• Posted

Hi,

I was discharged from hospital yesterday after being in for 4 nights. The operation was successful. They discovered I had 2 fairly large fibroids and 1 small one so removed all of them without leaving any scar tissue in the uterus. I have to admit the first couple of days were tough. I felt sick for days due to the general anaesthetic and possibly the spinal block they administered too. However today is day 5 after the operation and I can get up and down the stairs, walk slowly and sit and do activities with the children. I am resting too but was told its important to not lie around. Anytime I feel pain ibuprofen seems to work.

Let me know how your surgery goes. I'm sure you will be fine x

• Posted

Aww that's great  I must stock up on some pain relief. .does your stomach feel like a load been lifted? Or is it swallow with only being 5 days? How's the scar looking any tips? I can't  wait now hope this week goes fast. Wishing you a speedy recover rest up take care x
    • Posted

Stomach is still swollen, not sure how long it will take to go down. Guessing it might be a while. Thanks Tanza please let me know how it all goes x
    • Posted

I am going tthrough the same dilemma..I have my daughters wedding coming up in may and now he want's me to get it done..may deal with my symptoms until after the wedding. .however it seems like what ever it is is growing fast.. (mri didn't show fibroid) so confused but just want to resolve it..my right leg is week and can't lift it ..rolleyes

• Posted

I have leg and hip weakness..I am not pregnant though..but from a recent ultrasound they said my uterus is anteverted and leaning to the right putting press it e apparently on my right leg. When ever I get my period Imy right leg almost drags so disturbing. For yes now I have been telling my gyn that my leg weakness has to do with my periods he insisted otherwise. Now all of a sudden after last ultrasound and exam he says oh ya definitely get hysterctomy. He said my endontrium lining is kind of thick considering I got an ablation in 2005. One doc. Wants to give me biopsy..another says they may not be able to get a good sample due to my ablation. So frustratingsad I have hysterctomy schedulled in august. Hopefully I can hang in until then. I am so out of common when I get my period. I shake..get a low grade fever. And my leg problem magnifies. If anyone has any input or have same symptoms let me know I am not alone. P.s. Ana and antidna. Elevated..Mri.came back negative for any lesions or pinched nerves or hernias that may have caused weakness. Thee was also blood in urine and I am on antibiotic now apparently I have bv. They said protective barrier is gone..sheesh!

Hopeful that I will find a solution. Just hope that if I decide to get biopsy before hysterctomy it comes out negative.

V.b.

• Posted

I think mine has gotten bigger ecauseat firsy I had no symptoms. I was told I hadthem about 8 -10 years ago. I've had extremely heavy periods but never any pain. Now my back, around my waist and y legs hurt so bad. I don't have insurance so I'm stuck with this pain. Thanks for responding. I thought the pain in my leg was something unrelated.

• Posted

I am in the same situation as you. For many years I didnt have health insurance so the fibroids just grew and grew. Now they are about a 9 month pregnancy. I'm petrified but I know I have to do something now. I saw a gyn male doctor today. I can tell he is very capable. But they were making a big deal about the size. I knew they would. They ( him and his partner) probably have never seen a extremely large fibroid uterus before. I am requesting prayers for courage and good out. I will be praying for everyone heading into this journey too. Take care

• Posted

I am glad that you are able to finanally get treatment. I am praying for a miracle. I don't think that my fibroids are that big but I am sure it has grown. The bottom portion of my body is always in pain. I will be praying for a speedy recovery, God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.