Causes of Lichen Sclerosus?

Posted , 33 users are following.

What do you think caused your condition? 

Any ideas, theories, inklings? A complete brainstorm opportunity.... 

4 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was just about to make a post but think it will fit in your discussion.  I have alsways thought that getting my tubes tied brought this on.  and did some searching and found that there is post tubal ligation syndrome.  I have many symptoms of this.  many changes happened after my tubal including getting LS.  Just was wondering if any one else got LS after having a tubal ligation.
    • Posted

Sha, that crossed my mind, too. I had LS as a child and all my life, but I'm convinced having the tubal ligation set up the Koebner phenomenon (trauma triggers the disease) and made LS progress faster in my five years of perimenopause.
    • Posted

Thank you sha...what was on your mind? 

how might you have framed the question? thank you very much for your feedback ...what you're saying makes complete sense...did you experience a lessening of oestrogen? ... more vaginal dryness and skin coarseness among other things? And then LS. That is major sha I am so sorry.

• Posted

my question is how many women got ls suddenly after child birth or tubal ligation? Most women say they had the symptoms all their life but only got diagnosed later in life. My genital are has always been healthy all my life. My thoughts are weather or not the tubal affected my estrogen level(never been tested) did experience dryness and itching. Second thought, my first birth  was so traumatic to the area, so perhaps after a second birth perhaps my body went crazy. 

Was LS brought on by trauma, drop in estrogen, hypothyroid after that pregnancy(never tested) or combination? anyway my LS came on suddenly after second birth at age 31

• Posted

extremely important questions. I think you've touched on a very important point here. 

so with you it could have been trauma or ligation. the point is that ligation or removal tends to affect the hormones associated with the organ over which the hormones exerted their influence.

• Posted

Yes for me that is the only explanation for the cause. Does not seem to be hereditary in my family.  I did watch that lecture, will watch again when I dont have kids bugging me throughout so I can pay full attention. 
    • Posted

Hi Morrell, I just looked up the Koebner phenomenon--what a weird reaction.  Do you think that the abrasions or trauma associated with sex and LS could be creating new plaques?  This is concerning.  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Suzanne, I totally think that. I stopped having sex a year ago after my (long-delayed) diagnosis and I attribute my good condition at least 60% to that. Dr. Goldstein certainly says sex causes repeat trauma and scarring. I think he even mentioned the Koebner Phenomenon.

• Posted

I'm totally new to the group.

I see this post is 6 years old.

I had my tubes completely removed about 14 years ago as I had stage 4 endometriosis and they were just destroyed, hydrosalpinxed beyond recognition. My IVF doctor suggested removing them to reduce cytokines leaking into my uterus and lowering the odds my embroys taking. (Didn't work).

• Posted

Interesting sha1271,  I also had my tubes tied aged 30
    • Posted

I had mine tied at age 31 and soon after developed symptoms of LS.  I do also have the symptoms of hypothyroidism.  going to find a better dr. and take a couple check lists and talk to them about it.  although I read most Drs. will deny the Post tubal syndrome because its the surgeon who causes it by cutting blood suply to ovaries.  would love to be tested for both though. gotta find a dr. willing to listen to my theory and concerns.
    • Posted

hang on TB ...was this your causation? or are you more recently diagnosed? did you experience symptoms post ligation?
    • Posted

Hi Marey

I wasn't diagnosed with LS until itching was unbearable at aged 69. Tubes were tied off when I was 30. But since I never examined myself, who knows if I developed LS some time ago.

• Posted

gosh so i suppose you'll never know...but thing is we've got it now....and dealing...are you getting on ok and having some kind of treatment?

if you did start to develop the condition slowly i wonder if there might have been any signs or change in architecture....are you holding up and itch under control now?

• Posted

Hi Marey. Thanks for the response and enquiries.

I no longer itch but still have the sore patches coming and going. Also it has travelled right up between my buttocks so it is a bit difficult passing motions and also above my anus cracks at times. I'm using clobetasol twice a week and have modified my use in the light of Dr Goldstein's recommendation of soak then rub in for 90 seconds.

I have started a 2 day fast today. I think, if it isn't too difficult, then I will do it at the start of every month for the next six months. This is because (roughly at the same time that LS came) I also developed erosive lichen planus of my mouth and obviously my body is a bit out of kilter with the autoimmune responses. I am hoping the fasting will go a bit towards resetting my autoimmune system. This is probably something I will start in another thread.

• Posted

to all ...i think chemicals and sprays to treat various things may have been a precursor to LS for me together with stress. ANYONE ELSE? 
    • Posted

I wonder about all of the toxins, too--in our environment, in our food supply, and all of the medicines that we take!  What is the story of the flat evacuation?  Will peruse the alternative health site as I can.  Following all of these posts does take a bit of time!
    • Posted

I was sterilised at age 38 and less than a year later I was noticing dryness and some discomfort during intercourse, less than another year later I was having symptoms of LS.  At 42 now and three months ago I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and LS diagnosis almost a week ago.  So I'm not sure what caused mine.
    • Posted

so sorry to hear of your difficulty g,

this does seem to be a strong indicator of a cause together with other young women pre-menopause who've had tubal ligation.

Are you bearing up ok and finding a way to get comfortable? 

• Posted

Yeah having a tubal ligation seemed to mess with my body. I just had my thyroid tested again yesterday and its still in normal range.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.