Is this really a symptom of Inflamed Esophagus or Acid Reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I started experiencing esophagus problems all of a sudden about two months ago. It started one evening right after I finished supper, I felt like I had a lump of food stuck in my esophagus, rignt between my breast. It did not hurt, just felt like a lump of food just sitting there. I drank a lot of water and walked around the yard trying to get the food (?) to go down. After about an hour, it seemed to be ok. This continued to happen to me every evening after eating, but the symptom started lasting longer. At that time it was just my evening meals, then as the weeks moved forward it started happening with all meals, just worse in the evening. I made an appointment with my Gastroenterologist, who I use to see ten years ago for acid reflux. He scheduled an endoscopy, and the results showed no stricture, and no cancer. He said my esophagus was a little red and inflamed and prescribed me rabeprazole sodium at 40 mg daily. This seemed to make the stuck food feeling go away but caused me really horrible insomnia and constipation, so I had to stop taking it. I now take Nexium at 20 mg twice a day, but it is not helping at all. I am having a hard time believing this symptom has anything to do with acid reflux, as I have not had any acid reflux symptoms, or issues in years. There are no symptoms at all, no heart burn, nothing. Does anyone else have symptoms like this? Could it be anything else? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Raellen, I've had similar symptoms for some years now, but not as bad as yours. The foods that cause me the most problems are bread and potatoes - both of which I love, especially potatoes!

Over the years, I've realised I tend to eat far too quickly, so have trained myself to chew more thoroughly before gulping food down, which has helped a lot. This works quite well with potatoes (my all-time favourite food!) but I've found I've had to cut down drastically on bread, especially in the evening.

As a former nurse, I've long been convinced that patient-controlled management works better than medical treatment for conditions like this, especially when investigations have shown that there's no sinister pathology, as in your case. Try and identify which foods or behaviours cause the most problems and then adapt your life-style accordingly. It usually gets results. And good luck!

• Posted

Thank you Lily for your reply. Sounds like good advice, I will start paying closer attention to how I am chewing and what I am eating, especially to bread. I know today, I had two cups of coffee, then later a cup of grain cereal, blueberries and banana, with milk, and got through that ok with no lump feeling afterwards. However, I had a sandwhich later in the day for lunch and the lump feeling has been with all day.
  • Posted

I was just release from the E.R and I went in with the same symptoms this has been going on with me for about two weeks I am currently looking for sometime of relief. The Doctor sent me home with a prescription called epitomize I will be getting it filled in the morning. Feels like food is stuck, feels like I need to burp really bad and I'm kind of experiencing gas this sucks because it gets worse at night and I can't lay down and sleep. And I'm scared to eat anything and I get that lump in the throat feeling now. Can't make an appt with the Go until Monday it's 1am Saturday.
  • Posted

Hi Raellen. I also suffer badly from reflux. I have had 2 endoscopes done this year and was diagnosed with "All the itis'" as they said with a smile. (Oesophogitus, gastritis and duodunitus) as well as a hiatus hernia. Your symptoms are a classic symptom of reflux. It is important to acknowledge that your feeling of food sticking is not necessarily food sticking. Any inflamed areas that food is passing over can become irritated further, giving sensation that the food is still there. If that makes sense. In the same way that swallowing tablets with a sore throat can give the impression they are sticking in the throat. You will be surprised by how many people suffer reflux without experiencing classic symptoms such as heartburn.
    • Posted

Hello Miggy1, I just had my second endoscopy on Wednesday and was

told I have basically all the “itis” as well. In addition, I have a small using hiatal hernia. It’s 2 days after the procedure and I’m not able to eat solid foods. I called my doctor and he told me it’s likely that my esophagus May be aggravated from the procedure. Since I can’t swallow, he told me to eat foods hat are mashed potato consistency. Did you or anyone in the group experience this after the procedure? If so, how did you ensure you got enough nutrients? And when were you able to eat? Thank you! 

• Posted

I certainly hope you found a solution for your problem by now, Raellen! I had reflux for years and took meds for it. Symptoms can be very silent except for the discomfort you were describing and occasional acid eruption. However, I have been free of it for years now and tonight it is recurring. I am drinking Aloe Vera juice (about 2 oz.) with some gatorade or juice (pomegranite is good). I believe this might be very healing. I hope so. I'll do this twice a day for the next couple of weeks along with omeprazole 20 mg. I am posting this in case anyone else reads the replies and is looking for other forms of medicinal support. Best to all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.