Upper thoracic / neck back pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My problem is upper thoracic back pain. It is less painful when I am walking, but the minute I sit, lie down or simply stand still, the dull pressure pain from between my shoulder blades going up to my neck begins and headaches develop. This only started less than a year ago, and it is getting worse by the day. Sleep is difficult now. X-ray shows osteo arthritis I am told. I have tried osteopaths, physiotherapists and sports massage.  Only thing offered to me by the doctors are pain relief injections.  I  was worried in case there was a tumour, but was refused a scan as they said it would not help. Any ideas?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm afraid valerie94214 there is not much on the line of treatment for osteoarthritis.

I have had this for many years, cortisone injections didn't work for me as the drug in question had no affect what so ever. But I. Don't want to put you off as it may help.

what I do is lye flat on my bed with my head hanging over the side for a few minutes, do this once a day for a few days.

NOTE:

As you lift your head up, do it as slow as possible because doing this helps open the nerves and blood vessels. Getting up to quick my cause drowsiness.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you Mark. I will certainly try this and let you know how I get on. It doesn't help that I also have some arthritis in the lower back as well, so anything I do has to take this into account! I will let you know in due course.
    • Posted

I find that when my neck/upper back/shoulders/middle back start to flair up then I always lay flat on the bed with my head relaxed over the side. I find that it helps really well. But as I said that I do this for a few days. Again take it easy when you get up as the rush of blood can make you feel faint. What I do is slide back down the bed after.

I think it helps because you stand/sit with your head slightly forward and after a period of time put pressure on the joints then the nerves join in. Lying on your back with your head hangs back helps everything fall back in place.

The last time I saw a physiotherapist, they examined the movement in my neck and was happy for me to carry on, on my own.

Sorry if I am rambling on, but hope this helps and all goes well.

• Posted

Hi Mark.  Well, I have just tried your suggestion. I wasn't sure how long to lie in this position, so relaxed for about 3-4 minutes before slowly moving into a normal position and sitting up. You are right about holding your head slightly forward, although I do try not to. I will try again tomorrow and continue a couple of times a day to see how it goes. Thanks for your help 
    • Posted

You will find as well Valerie, that after a few days that you will have better movement...if you remember just send us a quick reply about Monday to say how you are going.

Take care and till Monday.

👍

• Posted

valerie,

Try a cranial osteopath. I have had cervical and thoracic pain for 56 years now following a R.T.A and had every treatment uder the sun to no avail.Have OA in whole of spine. This is the only thing that has helped. He has stopped my migraines and also stopped me swimming breast stroke.

If I tilt my head back or look round sharply it all comes back with a vengeance. At the moment it is bad. so attending weekly, unfortunately not available on the NHS.One or two sessions may sort you outand then maybe once every six months. Find a good one though.

Good luck

Jenny

• Posted

Thanks Jenny. I do use a general osteopath o is very good, but not sure if she deals with cranial osteopathy.  I'll ask though.  Thanks for your suggestions.

valerie

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

I went to a normal osteopath for twenty years, but he never got rid iof the terrible migraines or relieved much of the pain. It was only when he said it was too dangerous to manipulate my neck anymore that I was referred. No thrusting or pushing, just feels like your head being cradled and gently massaged. Boy !Afterwards I sleep for three hours and feel a bit out of it next day and then it improves in my case very gradually. Apparently I have an intense reaction so you need whoever is treating you to know that this may happen! Cranial osteopaths can tell what is happening in your body and work to re balance it. My husband thinks itis all baloney, but I am living proof it is not. Accrding to most doctors I should have been in a wheechair years ago not living a normal life!

Do not believe that nothing can be done, I researched everything, as simply not willing to be in pain all the time.Was hospitalised for a cervical myelogram and hung up by my ears in the early days, but still brought up four children.

Jenny .

• Posted

Thanks for this Jenny. You have given me hope when I thought I had none. I don't know if you are the same, but I do not sleep well due to the pain in my upper back and neck. In the early hours of the night, I have convinced myself there are tumours and goodness know what wrong with me!! Have you ever had a scan done on your thoracic area? I asked for one and was told it wouldn't show anymore up than an X-ray. Not sure if that is true, or a cost saving exercise though. I will definitely look into finding a cranial osteopath. Thank you again.
    • Posted

I have never had a scan done, but the myelgram was done for the same reason(25 years ago) It showed up little growths of bone on the end of my ribs, which aggravate the intercostal nerves. The same thing is happening again now as have had intensive dental treatment, which pushes down on the neck plus the ill fated swim plus the accident when I was 24( am now 80) Your body never forgets an injury, do you know what caused this in the first place?Incidentally I have just bought another V shaped pillow to put in my chair, this takes pressure of the area of my back which isgiving me the pain. I call it square pain as that is how it seems, but it radiates up under my skul on the right side, which is where I was badly hurt.

Good luck Valerie and let me know how you get on. I believe in the principal that there is always something you can do to help yourself. Just keep smiling and if you feel something is wrong, keep saying so.

Jenny

• Posted

Yes, I too had these osteophytes, little bony growths on my shoulder joints. They removed these and the pain disappeared immediately. Like a magic wand. There is evidence of these on my spine, but they have said these cannot be removed surgically.  I am due to go for pain relief injections tomorrow which may or may not help.  I don't remember doing anything specific before I felt this upper back pain. I go to Pilates which helps my general back pain, and again, it feels great after I have done it, but the minute I stand, sit or lie down, the pain returns. I have found a local Cranial Osteopath and emailed her to see what she thinks she can do to help. I will indeed keep you posted Jenny. Many thanks for your interest.
    • Posted

Great, Hope the njections help. If you can break the pain cycle it should be better.

Jenny

• Posted

Hi Jenny

thanks for your good wishes yesterday. All went well. Had 8 jabs which were fairly painful, but bliss afterwards until anaesthetic wore off! Cortisone should kick in which will allow me to do the stretching exercises they want me to do every hour for three months! They think this will help as my muscles are very  tight which they think is causing the pain. My life is now taken over with these exercises. Very simple to do and only take about five minutes each time, so fingers crossed. Valerie

• Posted

So pleased for you. Can you describe the exercises for me.

Unfortunately pain has the effect of tightening the muscles causing more pain and then it is a vicious circle!

• Posted

It certainly is Jenny. That is what the doctor told me and its a case of re-educating your brain. When you are in pain, your brain is telling you to rest: lie down : etc., and  apparently it's the last thing you should do and it can take three months to re educate the brain with this information. So, she told me to do the following about five times slowly and gently every hour;

1. Gently push the chin on to your chest, creating double chins. You should feel a stretch down your spine. 

2. Bend your arms in front of you, elbows and wrists touching and raise them upwards. There is not a lot of movement, but you do feel a stretch. Then in the same position, move your arms from side to side. As ai have a lower back problem, I suggest sitting firmly in a chair with your back pressed to the back of the chair to prevent lower back problems.

3. Stretch an arm in front of you, and with the other arm, pull it across your body. Then slowly bend gently side wards, following the arm.  Repeat with the other arm.

4. Turn your head slowly left and right to the fullest extension. Hold for a few seconds each time.

5. Bend your head sideways as if you are trying to touch your ear to your shoulder. Hold for a few seconds each time. Once you have done this one a few times, gently using your hand, pull your head a little further towards your shoulder creating more stretch.

6. Finally, if you are mobile enough,  a few minutes doing the basic Tai Chi exercise, standing legs apart, swing your arms across your body, a little at a time, increasing the swing until you can feel your hands flopping against your back. Be careful doing this as it can make you a bit giddy.

i do Pilates as a local class and the doctor said it is one of the best things you can do to create a healthy back. I only go once a week, but she suggested me doing it at home as and when I can.  I am not sure if I have time to even eat now! Ha ha

Hope this helps 

Valerie 

• Posted

Thanks so much. I too did pilates and found it wonderful. The teacher went to Australia and I couldn't find another class, but I will have to give up The Fitness league class I have attended for 23 years because it is veyr aerobic and my neck doesn't stand a chance!

Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.