Bowel cancer symptoms???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a complete nebiee! And would greatfully appreciate any advice or similar experiences you can share with me. Ive generally been a well guy who hates visiting the doc (I'm 29). However I've been there 3 time in last 2 months which is more than last few years! The reasons for the visit:

-irregular bowel movements.(always needed to go quite a lot until recently)

-thought my pee looked pink(done a sample and doc checked and no blood)

And in last 4 weeks starting from earliest symptom:

-couldn't pass a poo in over a week( other symptoms since then)

-lots of red blood on toilet paper(something I've ignored for years but worse now)

-poo has turned near black recently( I do drink wine and guiness) 

-tummy bloated(something I've lived with before)

- I've lost a stone and a half in the last six months( maybe due to eating less and less fizzy juice)

-and for the last month I can't go to toilet it feels like I'm blocked up I poop a skinny small poo then it's like soup afterwards which is all but a shade of black.

-had a few night sweats where duvet is soaked when I wake

-clear slime mucus discharge

-no major pain just discomfort and the feeling my bowel isn't emptied even when I mange to pass something.

-recently my appitate has diminished

-get the a shiver maybe once a day which gives me a sensation in my lower righ chest no pain and goes away instintally.

my doc pressed my tummy no pain, and wanted to check my bum which I refused due to my guts being so bad(too embarrassed). Also had bloods done which showed I don't have celiac disease but my liver function test was 46 and should be 45. 

so I've been referred for a camera up bum test which I'm not looking forward too. I always though I had irritable bowel (mum and sis had) but doc says it's more common in women and blood shouldn't be present. 

After hours of online research I keep finding bowel cancer the likely cause due to my symptoms. What does the people of this site think?  Thankssmile

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,

It's good your GP is refering you for the camera up bum (colonoscopy). You will be checked by Dr at hosp. who will then refer you for the test and very worth having. They can then tell you what it is. Tell the Dr everything to help him make a good diagnosis and ask questions if you need to, no question is too silly. The test is not that bad, nurses know what they are doing (even if they are about your age). They have seen lots of bums in their working life. Bums all day long, young and old. Doesn't hurt, sensation facinating and a screen where you can see your inside. They might give you a sedative but require someone to go with you for that.

Black stools could be the Guinnes and that can make you constipated, doesn't it. Skinny small stools sounds like something blocking. Blood in urine I don't know as I thought it was alway the poo. Mucus in poo with blood I had and think that is sign of something wrong. But what. I would wake in the morning in a pool of blood and mucus before my Gp referred me.

I guess you work and must be very weak with all that's going on. It aint going to get better, only worse as long as you leave it and could end up untreatable. Don't want to frighten you too much, but true.

I've just had my op for bowel cancer and was quite advanced as GP left it too long messing about with other diagnosis, but they managed to shrink the tumour in the colon with chemo and radiotherapy, to where they could do keyhole surgery, albeit one the keys would have to be about 3" long. I'm suffering bad constipation now after 4 wks from surgery and probably because they had to take part of the rectum. Takes a while I guess for the rectum to start doing it's job again, needs a good kick up the ars.

Hope this helps some. Take care, Daffs

• Posted

Hi daffs thanks for your detailed response. I'm glad they've managed to shrink your tumor somewhat, and hopefully the constipation will begin to ease off soon! How long did it take for ur conolosopy test after ur gp finally referred you? I was told it could be up to 12 weeks! Tho my doc said they will probably want to see me sooner cuz of my symptoms. And on Friday I'm away to florida for 2 weeks so it couldn't have happened at a worse time! Did u experience much pain back before you were diagnosed? I haven't had pain thankfully, but worried that could change! And hate the thought of becoming unwell in a different country! Not sure what way that works with my insurance.

• Posted

Hello David,

Firstly I was seen by a Hosp. Dr. who referred me for the test and It was 4 wks from Hosp. Dr. to Colonoscopy. But I thought that long and believe NHS says should be 2 wks.

Would you cancel your hols. if hosp. wanted to see you. I didn't cancel any of my test, just went along with them. Didn't have anything else on my mind after I was diagnosed.

Pain, well 2 yrs previous I had what I thought was tum bug and then had little pain in tum, that's all. Mostly couldn't hold my weight (Gp thought it was something else and put me on diet!) of course I lost more.

I have a daughter living in Tampa and son in Jacksonville, other daughter lives in Conn. So I wish you a happy hol. I guess you're going to have to check with the ins. on availability in US. Take care, Daffs

• Posted

Hey daffs im goin though the same symptoms so you say it dose are symptoms of bowl cancer
  • Posted

Hi David it sounds like you need that colonoscopy I've been diagnosed with bowel cancer and I've had all the symptoms you've said so the quicker you get that done the better I really hope it isn't .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.