chloasma misery

Posted , 10 users are following.

i have been suffering with this condition now for about 5 years. i barely remember not having chloasma. when i went to my gp for help she brushed me off and told me there was nothing that could be done. before the chloasma became really bad i was very confident,but this has totally drained me of that and i no longer have relationships anymore. i wear make up every day to cover what i can but would one day love to not have to cover myself in make up just to go to the shops. i know that my chloasma is hormonal as it varies in shades throughout the month, but the docs just wont help and tell me there is no lotion/creams available. i am now waiting for thiospot, to arrive from the internet, which has been recommended on here by another lady to see if that helps. i thought i was going mad until i found this site and found other people in the same situation as me and realised im not the only one suffering. hopefully the thiospot may help and if it does ile let you all know

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi - sadly I know exactly how you feel. I've just posted another message on here before I saw yours. It is super depressing. I used to like my face and often got comments on my lovely skin. Now it is just foul and blotchy - not to mention I now have a kazillion freckles and the number is increasing daily! I am super vigilant in the sun, always have been. I use Skin Ceuticals sunblock which has the transparent zinc oxide and I ALWAYS wear a hat in the sun.

I was prescribed Skinoren today but have just read from someone else it was completely useless. Now I'm deflated again after reading all these posts - it seems noone has managed to successfully get rid of it.

Are there any success stories here???

• Posted

hi vlh466 and to any other person who is suffering the same condition as so many others are.

as you can see from my first post way back in october and i said that i would return after i had tried the THIOSPOT intensive cream so here i am. i have been using this product for almost about 6 weeks now. every morning and evening i have washed my face with an exfoiliating face wash and then applied the cream to my dark patches on my cheeks and forehead. after just over a week the results were amazing. i am still in shock at the difference just a few weeks using this product has made to the chloasma. after 6 weeks the dark patches are hardly noticible, although they are still there, but are at least 80% less dark than when i began the cream. i can not rate this cream highly enough. it is not cheap..25 pound a tube but the results and the confidence it brings is totally worth the cost. i have just started the second tube and will definatly be buying more until hopefully the chloasma continues to fade until it has disappeared completely. even if this post reaches one person, and works for them, then i will be happy. hopefully it will work for you as well as it has for me. a long boring process to keep doing it but totally worth it in the end, and coming from someone who even wore make up in the house, and no longer needs to then i am more than happy to recommend this product to everyone else..good luck.. if anyone does want to try this, i got mine from amazon.co.uk

• Posted

Hello, R u still on here and having success? I would like to know if your patches are Brown as some people describe or a dark sort of grey black colour!? Mine is the dark grey/black (not sure how to describe really)but almost like wiping your hands on face after reading newspaper! Just wondering if it's worth me trying cream but fear it works on the brown colour, not my colour!! Thanks
  • Posted

Hello everyone. i have spent the last 2 days on the computer searching for information on how to get rid of chloasma/melasma. I have it on my upper lip. It is so depressing. I have started using a product called Osmosis Enlighten, but it seems to be getting darker. I just never want to leave the house. sad
  • Posted

Hi Doe, sorry ur feeling depressed. I have never used the product that you are trying. I am still using thiospot intensive cream. It hasnt made the chloasma disappear completely but it has lightened it enough to hide under light make up. i have heard that some poducts do make chloasma darken, so its a case of slowly finding what works for your skin. I understand how depressed you feel as i felt like that for years. i really hope you find something that helps you feel better about yourself.
  • Posted

Hi there

I'm so glad I found this site, I thought I was a nutter for searching this on the net, but as you all know: chloasma is such a confidence breaking infliction... I hardly want to talk about it to my friends! In fact, I dont think I have, and none of them have seen me without makeup on. I found myself freaking out thinking going on holiday: planning ways of how to swim and still cover up my pigmentation... I know what you mean when you say you never leave the house without makeup on... its just miserable looking in the mirror and to see how terrible my face looks... BUT! there is hope!!! okay, so i found these posts about 2 weeks ago, after feeling particularly depressed (certainly depressed enough to trail google for likeminded people) and saw a post mentioning THIOSPOT. Let me tell you, I work in the beauty industry and have tried just about everything - i wont mention the names here incase i get into trouble - but they all promise and dont deliver. I dont know why I gave Thiospot a second thought... nevermind finding it on amazon and purchasing it! anyway, so pleased i did and let me tell you what has happened in the last 9 days of twice daily application!! The cream is really lovely smelling too by the way, I've used some nasty chemically stuff before. So! I can already see the patches under my eyes are lighter! I have kind of two lines under my eyes on the cheekbone. they are each about 2 inches long... and then i have a patch of pigmentation on my forehead. I'd say it's worse under my right eye, and at its darkest not even a concealer,powder, foundation and blusher combo could hide it! now, after 9 days of use... its like the overall patches are lighter, but not only that: it looks like the patch is ''breaking up''!!!!!!!! this is so amazing... they say the whole point of Thiospot is to remove old melanin cells and replace with new lighter ones... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you try this product! Compared to the others out there £25 is really a bargain, esp since it works!!! make sure to use a great SPF, maybe the combination of products i'm currently using is adding to its success. hopefully at least one other unluckily blotched lady reads this and finds the hope and results I have: Twice daily this is my regimen: Wash with Dermalogica Tri Active Cleanse, Exfoliate twice weekly with Dermalogica Powerfoliant (brilliant product!) Apply skin ceuticals CE Furelic and wait few minutes to dry, Apply THIOPSOT to pigmented areas and allow to dry, apply daily moisturiser - skin cueticals, and finish with Dermalogica Pure Light Spf 30. the CE furelic and SPF 30 combo gaurantees total sun block, so you are safe! i do this in the dead of winter, no UV rays alllowed thanks! at night, leave out the Spf. Good luck, I really hope this helps... I'm feeling so positive and excited and look forward to dramatic results!! I'll be back on in a few months to give an update, hopefully by then i will say that its completely gone! that day i will walk everywhere completely fresh faced with not a drop of makeup! oh and by the way!! the best concealer to date (on which i've become a pro too!) is MAC studiofinish. it's opague and blends beautifully! bit of powder, touch of blusher/bronzer and no one knows i even have skin issues!! in fact, i get compliments on a lovely skin! if only they knew hey... BEST OF LUCK AND THANK YOU THIOSPOT!!!!!

• Posted

I am so pleased that another lady is having the same luck as me with THIOSPOT. If you have never tried this product please do give it a go. It has totally changed the way i see myself after years of hiding away and hating what i saw in the mirror. I have used this cream for a few months now and the pigmentation is barely noticible anymore. I just hope they never stop making it. Please give it a go and hopefullly it will work for you to and make a big difference to how you feel about yourself like it has for me
  • Posted

I am 35 and have 2 children. I fell pregnant with my first child 9 years ago absolutley fine. My youngest who is 5 now is where is all began. At 9 months my face looked like I had left 2 tea bags on my cheeks and one on my upper lip.

I used to work in the make insutry years ago and tried everything. I am going to try this THIOSPOT and feed back. It has got better over the years the lip has faded and not so prominent, the cheeks can only be seen if you look close up but the forehead one has not made me cut aq fringe. During the summer its worse.

I wouldnt want any more children after this experience with my youngest. Evryone kept saying it will all fade once the baby is born or when your body gets back to normal and it hasnt. It is such an unspoken misery and embarrassing. especially on the face! I hate it so much and like other people it has really got me down, when people ask me I say it is a birthmark heaven forbid I say chloasma they may think I have a real disease

xx

• Posted

Hi Kit Kat

Did you get the thiospot, if so how are you getting on with it.

My chloasma worsened a lot when i was pregnant with my last child and i was also told it would fade when everything was back to normal, but it never did. I too would not have another baby because i know from experience this will make the chloasma return with a vengence and now that it has faded so much with the use of the cream i definatly dont want to risk it returning.

i hope you are having some luck with the thiospot, let us know how you're getting on. Im on my 4th tube of intensive cream now and it is still lightening the chloasma and some has even disappeared completely. :D

xx

• Posted

Hi

So glad I found this site, I too have chloasma on my face it is really bad on my forehead and affects my confidence daily. I have spent an absolute fortune trying to get rid of it but nothing has worked. Like many other people I hate having to plaster on the make up every day that doesn't always cover it anyway.Going on holiday is a nightmare as because of the heat it just gets worse no matter how much I try to cover up, the heat rays not just the light rays can darken the patches and create more. I feel really unattractive and embarrssed by my skin at a time when I want to feel relax and look good.

I read with interest the post from pimented pain and plan to purchase the thiospot cream. I was wondering if pigmented pain could also tell us where she purchases her other face creams from such as the moisturizer etc I would really apprciate it. 8) Thank you

• Posted

Hi

I have noticed cholasma starting on my forehead and just under my right eye. I also have a brown spot to. My doctor said this was caused by taking the pill. Has anyone else heard of the pill causing that? I've tried a few creams that just don't work. I am thinking of buying the Thiospot Intensive Cream and was just looking for people's experience. I don't want to make it darker as noticed someone said that some creams can do this. do you really recommend this one as being good.

• Posted

I too have suffered with Chloasma for 7 yrs now. My forehead is covered with a brown streak and both my cheeks are covered in brown patches with white spots dotted around. I was referred to a dermatologist thinking they could use laser or Derma brasion to get rid of it but apparently its untreatable. I was prescribed skinoren but this hasn't had any effect, I was then sent to the red cross who specialize in skin camouflage makeup. They were amazing, they blended a color to match my natural skin color and the covered is amazing. I've spent thousands on makeup in 7 yrs but nothing comes close to this. I was prescribed the makeup and get it free on the nhs! It's waterproof and lasts all day even in water so I can go swimming with my little boy. It won't ever go and could get worse in the summer if I'm not careful but the camouflage makeup has given me back my confidence. It's called veil. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Hey hun is the camouflage make up working for you I definitely need to get some to cover mine I'm so depressed I haven't seen anyone else with the hyperpigmentation I feel like the only sufferer in the world...

• Posted

Hello Lisa, nothing helpful I'm afraid, I was just wondering if yours is brown or grey!? Mine is more grey but everyone else seems to mention brown!? Makes me wonder if mine is something different sometimes!

• Posted

Hi. I too have grey coloured chloasma. I don't know what caused it as I wasn't on the pill and it was four years after having my third child that it started. I absolutely hate it and nothing I do disguises it. I just have it over my top lip and it looks like a five o'clock shadow - really embarrassing. I have tried expensive camouflage creams and different lotions/creams for pigmentation but nothing works.

• Posted

Hi sal12! I had no reason either, had never been on the pill and hadn't even had children when I got mine. I was on holiday at the time tho so I wAs out on the sun everyday - I had been out sunbathing and went inside and looked in the mirror - was mortified as it had just appeared over my top lip! Was awful...went back outside and someone remarked had I wiped newspaper hands over my face!! Sadly, I've tried lots of different creams etc and nothing has worked. I try to cover it now but it's always there! How do u manage yours!? Has yours been diagnosed as chloasma? X

• Posted

Hi Geee. I haven't seen my GP for a diagnosis as I know nothing will be done on the NHS but I'm sure it must be chloasma as the symptoms fit. I try to cover it with foundation or Dermablend with factor 50 but it doesn't really work. It seems to me to look even more apparent in artificial lighting than in natural daylight. How about you? X

• Posted

Hi, well I'm glad I'm not the only who's got grey!! I hate seeing myself on FaceTime and things as I look awful. I always hope that I don't look as bad to other people and in 'real life'! All I use now is an YSL touché eclat stick on top of normal foundation. It doesn't cover it but I hope it hides some of it. What do u use and does it cover? I was tempted to try the thiospot that a few people have mentioned but I'm worried it will make the grey darker, I get the impression that ours is worse than the brown patches 😞

• Posted

Sorry, forgot u already said what u do to cover yours...any other ideas welcome...! X
    • Posted

Hi. I started This thread a long time ago so an update on how things have been since. I came to the conclusion that my chloasma seems to be hormone related . Some times it darkens others it's better. Over time it has lightened a lot but still covers most of my cheeks. I recently (about a month) started moisturising with Olay total effects. This seems to have helped a lot and lightened my skin tone quite significantly . It's quite pricey so I get it when shops have it on offer. I also NEVER leave the house in warm weather or sunny days without spf 50+ on my face as I found that even hot days can effect my face. After all this time I still try anything. I'm hoping that when the menopause starts it may have a great effect and lighten the chloasma. X

• Posted

Hi debs, thanks for the update. Have u tried thiospot? I hoped when I had my second child it would somehow trick my body into it clearing up....no such luck!!i don't even put sun lotion or anything on mine as it seemed to make it worse. I always try to avoid direct sun light onto my face one way or another but if ever I have caught it a bit mine darkens straight away X

• Posted

Hi I used it for about 6 months and it really helped but it never went completely . I don't think it will ever disappear to where I feel comfortable without make up but it has faded a lot over the years so I'm guessing it's to do with hormones . I know because of it I chose to not have any more kids after my last one because that made it so much worse x

• Posted

Oh poor u having to make such a decision because of this horrible condition. Is yours the brown colour? Mine is grey and I don't think it's hormone related as I got it before having children and wasn't on the pill X

• Posted

Yes mine is brown. It used to be very dark brown but over time it disappeared from my forehead but never completely from my cheeks. Although it has lightened too with time. I don't think anything will ever clear it and I envy those who never wear make up. Maybe when the menopause hits it will fade more x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.