Tramadol withdrawal, please help

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 17 years old, 5'2, 145 lbs, I've been trying prescription pills since I was 14, but never been hooked on anything like this. I'm from the States but currently residing in Mexico, the first time I tried tramadol I was 14. I loved them, but only tried them because of a friend, so I didn't have enough to get addicted. February this year I found out they're legal here and can be found easily in any pharmacy. I've been hooked on them daily since then and have been taking up to 300 - 350 MG a day. Mexico's drugs aren't nearly as potent as the ones in the states, and I quit on Saturday, I took 200 mg. 

Today is day 3 for me and I'm feeling much better already, the electric shocks and dizziness aren't as occasional and I can eat now. I've been drinking 2 liters a day and exercising a bit so I can be tired enough to sleep, but it doesn't help me at all. It's my second night with no sleep and I'm scared of whats to come. It's currently 5 am and I had about 2 hours of sleep, 3 hours the night before. I experience horrible nightmares in my hours of sleep. I also have this hot/cold sensation, with sweating.

I don't have access to any benzo drugs that would help me sleep, if anyone going through this could please give me advice on how to get more sleep? I'm feeling much more alive than before, I forgot what it was like to actually see clearly

I've also noticed I've been developing the flu, I read that tramadol withdrawal can also cause this

My best friend is going through the same thing, we both started the same time and are around thee same height and weight, we're the same age, and our last day was on saturday, tho she took 300 mg. She can't sleep either, and we're both just as bad. I notice I can put up with the symptoms in the day time but at night I'm just so tired and can't sleep, I'm so uncomfortable, please help me, will this get any better anytime soon?

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all, SO PROUD OF YOU for stopping!  You are obviously very strong, you have got this! 

I quit cold turkey  (though I have never been above 200 mg and take for chronic pain), because we were going to Las Vegas and I wanted to drink.  Holy crap, have never been SO SICK!  I was sick for about a week.  I had cold sweats, flu symptoms, and horrible restless leg issues.  I also  wanted to harm myself-- and I am normally not someone who has thoughts like that and they were so strong  However, the bright side is after that week I felt 95% better.  I got short boughts of nausea and that was it though.  I had been taking them, at that point, for about a year I think.

You can't undo what is already done, but you can change your future and you are doing that!  Good for you!  Taking higher doses of Tramadol makes withdrawl terrible and you can have seizures at higher doses.  You are doing the right thing to shake it free!  Keep us posted and best of luck to you <3>

• Posted

Thank you SO MUCH! No one knows about my addiction and I really needed those words from someone. It all feels terrible. The cold sweats, flu symptoms, and the insomnia, but I know it will all be worth it in the end. Realizing that addiction isn't a normal thing is hard because the drugs make you so blind, and there's no one to tell you otherwise because no one knows!

Tramadol, although some people may argue otherwise, to me, is evil. It made me ditch school so much I got suspended for a semester, all those abscences just because I craved the pills so bad I needed to leave and buy them. It made me focus only on them and when I didn't have more for tomorrow, I was literally living day by day for them.

It's terrible. I now realize the harm I've done my body both mentally and physically. I would hate to see people I love go through this.

This experience has made me realize I don't want to experiment with drugs anymore. I wouldn't be able to take it. I don't want to know.

Thank you for your reply. It really helped me. I was up all night just waiting for something. Thank you. 

• Posted

@lin06321: Thank you SO MUCH! No one knows about my addiction and I really needed those words from someone. It all feels terrible. The cold sweats, flu symptoms, and the insomnia, but I know it will all be worth it in the end. Realizing that addiction isn't a normal thing is hard because the drugs make you so blind, and there's no one to tell you otherwise because no one knows!

Tramadol, although some people may argue otherwise, to me, is evil. It made me ditch school so much I got suspended for a semester, all those abscences just because I craved the pills so bad I needed to leave and buy them. It made me focus only on them and when I didn't have more for tomorrow, I was literally living day by day for them.

It's terrible. I now realize the harm I've done my body both mentally and physically. I would hate to see people I love go through this.

This experience has made me realize I don't want to experiment with drugs anymore. I wouldn't be able to take it. I don't want to know.

Thank you for your reply. It really helped me. I was up all night just waiting for something. Thank you. 

• Posted

((((carolina33336)))) You sound like such a bright girl, you can do this.  It's just one of those life learning moments if you stop.  You will feel better soon, and no one will need to know.  In the end this may have been the best thing to happen to you just because you know you don't want your life to be this way and keep yoursefl from making further mistakes.  You have your whole life ahead of you, you just have to remember this later, and why you don't want to take them anymore.  This can be your blessing in disquise.  Stay strong!
  • Posted

well done. Do not go backwards! I just did this myself. I had been put back on tramadol after a year off it for post op. My body went into total dependence and wanted more each day. I had to stop cold turkey. I am six weeks from stopping. YEs, it is tough. It is not real flu. The hardest sympoms are the panic attacks and crying in the evenings feeling like all is despair - that still happenes, and I tell myself just to cry and it will pass. It does pass. I can set a clock to 60 mins. And the lack of sleep from  restless legs is really really bad. Get up and walk. Do something interesting and try sleep again after an hour. Just do NOT use any electric light. Restless legs is low dopomine and you need candlelight or firelight not to decrease dopomine even more. Take antihisimines if you have to for sleep or itching, but they lower dopomine too, so best not. Best things is lots of chewable vitamin C, a chewable multi vitamin - take double. 

The nights are the worst. Do not sleep in the day. You will not get a full nights slepp at night for a few months, but the nights will get progressively better. Your brain has to adjust. It will only adjust over time. Give it time. I do so sympathise as I am still weeping with tiredness at night, hit with misery I can't descibe, my legs need pummeling, and I get so tired I feel life is not worth it. But I keep reminding myself it is not real, will not last and I will get better. Epsom magnesium salts in a bath with candlelight and a good book day or night is the best remedy.

• Posted

The nights truly are the worst. I feel like I'm fighting some sort of demon or something - I've never felt this way in my life. I've tried lots of things, none of these substances have affected me like this. I never really knew what addiction is. It's truly terrible. Today is day 3, and I can't stop crying.. I wish I had vicodin or Anything really to soothe away the pain, but I won't have prescription for it. I really need sleep. It's depressing me. I've cried all morning. I need to go to my high school social service taking care of babies, and for some reason that makes me feel so sh*tty too. I feel like I'm not worthy to do anything, everything hurts. I never thought it would be like this.
    • Posted

Tramadol releases Seratonin.  Messing with that, I think, is what causes the feelings of hopelessness.  It was really bad for me the time I quit cold turkey.  I am currentlly taping off (I take for pain, and have been on a very specific amount for years...so it's not as bad).  I was down to 1 1/2 a day and yesterday I was so depressed.  I went back to 2.  I think I will wait another week to drop 1/2.  In your case, cold turkey is the way to go since you are struggling with wanting the high.  I wonder if an anti-depressant might help even out the seratonin and make your life easier.  Is that an option for you?  Obviously you would need to be somewhat back to normal before that but if happyjoy is still struggling I wonder. 

I am, in fact, going to go to a dr end of the month and ask about Wellbutrin or another reasonably mild anti-depressant (I am in the US).  My background is in mental health (just bachelor's level, I don't diagnose).  I do know that tramadol taken with an anti-depressant is dangerous because you are at risk for seratonin syndrome (poisoning).

I just looked, it says there is conflicting information about whether Tramadol is a serotonin releasing agent or a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. 

My non-professional advice (with perhaps a tinge of extra understanding) would be to see how you feel a few weeks out.  If you are still feeling sad/hopeless I would consider it at least on the short term to help even things out. You would need to mention probably that you had been taking Tramadol though, so maybe wait to see just how bad you are feeling?

I do remember I just lay there thinking I wanted to hurt myself and I felt so hopeless I just kept wringing my legs.  It was weird, couldn't hold still it was like I was trying to pin myself in place not to do anything I'd regret.  On the up side, it truly does get much, much, much better.  Hope today finds you slighting improved.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, I am feeling much better today. I quit only a few days ago because I started taking them again, but this time it's been easier than last time somehow. Thank you.
  • Posted

Do not quit. Keep reminding yourself this will get better. By day 5 many people suddenly feel better. It took me to day 7. Think of it as if you have a virus that will pass. It will pass, I promise. It can't not pass. The only way you can keep this going is to take drugs to prolong it. Please, cry and weep your heart out, but stay off tramadol. You will be able to get through this!

Day three and four you might find you are seeing movement at the side of your head that goes away if you try to see what is there. Nothing is there. It is not real. It will not last. It is nothing, believe me. If you start to feel like it is all just too hard, go find someone to help you. It would be so much better if you had someone to be with you day and night.

• Posted

Thank yousmile It is day 4 today, I'm feeling so much better! I can actually feel my brain producing endorphins now after days of insomnia lol I feel sleepy, I love it. The only thing that hasn't gone away is the dizziness, the electric shocks you get for half a second. And a bit of depression now and then. But I feel much much better than the beginning.
  • Posted

I was not allowed to use an anti-depressent after tramadol. This is because the brain needs to start making/using it's own chemicals - seretonin, dopomine, norepinephrine. It will not be able to make the recovery if it is always being given a substitute. Particulalry the SSRI anti-depressents I was told to avoid for a year or two. But taking a dopomine re-uptake inhibitor for restless legs and anxiety can be acceptable - although these drugs are often hard to tolerate and the side effects can be worse than the problem. If you find you are not getting sleep from restless legs, then get help, as sleep is vital, and the sleep aids you can get ahold of will all mess with dopomine even more. Do not use valium or night nurse or antihistimines or alcohol or nicotine. They will all make it worse. Please be careful not to go looking for a magic pill to help you cope without the tramadol pill. You will need to learn to live in a world that is greyer than you would like, and to look for the glimmers of colour as they come. It will get better. If you feel too low to cope - get help and make sure that help knows everything. 
  • Posted

I am taking calcium and magnesium tablets from the health food shop and they seemed to have an instant effect. I was two days no sleep, one night of hallucinations, hot and cold and flu like symptoms and restless legs during the day and especially at night and an overwhelming feeling of irritability (emotionally and physically). I was told to take 2 x 500mg tabs in the morning with breakfast and 2 x500mg tabs early evening, so I started them yesterday and last night I slept right through the night with no RLS symptoms. Felt great.

Give them a try, they won't harm you cause it's all natural and they might even work. Good luck

Carol

• Posted

That is great, nuttytart!  The withdrawel from Tramadol is something I would never wish on my worst enemy.  I am tapering and was so depressed yesterday that I took one so I suspect that even at tapering slowly it is too much for my system.  I quit cold turkey once a long time ago.  They helped my pain greatly, but aren't working.  I've seen some people post on other boards that they kept taking them, despite no pain relief, because they can't handle withdrawls.I will try this, I appreciate the post!

I am worried about carolina33336 as she's not posted how she's doing.  Hopefully this will help.

• Posted

I am sad to say that I fell back in the whole for a few days, and left it again Friday. I got food poisoning and had to go to the doctor, it's Saturday night and I do not feel any withdrawal symptoms like last week. I feel like it's because I puked out EVERYTHING this time from my food poisoning. My bones however ache so much.

I have a question for all of you, I am quite concerned. My heart rate fastened with tramadol, the doctor said it should be 60-80, and I am at 120. Will my heart rate go back to normal once the tramadol withdrawal is over?

• Posted

Your heart rate should settle, but not even a heart surgeon can predict that for sure. You are putting your body through a lot, so your organs will be effected. Adrenalin speeds up the heart. If you can be kind to yourself and stop taking tramadol and do not substitute with any other drug, your health will improve. Get rid of the tramadol so you can't take it. Get some rehyrdation drinks and potato chips and fruit and lots of yogurts. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.