trochanteric bursitis

Posted , 29 users are following.

hello, I am 49 and was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis few months ago. I have started with strong pain on the upper outer side of my thight list January and after several attempts following MRI results I was prescribed with Cymbalta 60mg/day. I am on this medication (+ sulpadol) since March 2014. I also underwent to a nerve block procedure on April 23, 2014. I had physio agopunture and muscle stimulation. Although the pain has slighltly dininished, I am still experiencing discomfort. I work as Sr Engineer and spend most of my day at my desk. walk in the evening and doingo some exercising when I have time......

I have recently moved to UK from Ireland (were I received treatment indicated above) and was wondering if there is anything else that I should do to help with resolution of this problem.

thank you in advance

regards

Monica

2 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Monica

very interested to read your post and the fact that you were put on cymbalta. I also have trochanteric bursitis and the pain has been getting worse. I was on cymbalta 60mg/day also, but for depression not for the bursitis. how odd. is your cymbalta also called duloxetine? 

i'm now on a lower dose of cymbalta (duloxetine) and i wonder if that is why my pain has increased?

• Posted

hello

that's could be a possibility..... I have tried to stop cymbalta as it mwas givinh me some problem with my liver however I had so many side effect .... including increasing of pain so I had to start again. I logged on a couple of forum and red that stopping or even reducing cymbalta is a complete  hell in term of pain and other effects I am still wondering on why my GP in Ireland put me on this medication without advicing me of this.... anyway i guess it is too late now to wonder. For sure I am looking for a better solution to either  treatient the bursitis (which is still there) and to get rid of this treatment which is giving me so many problems......

• Posted

i've been offered an injection of steroid and anaesthetic. due to have that in a couple of weeks' time. 

wondering if there are any types of cushions / supports that you could attach to your chair at work which might help?

• Posted

hello, 

I had epidurl injection with steroid and anestetic  last may,unfortunatelly it  did not work GP said I may undergo to another one but have to waith another couple of months before that ......hopefully :-)

• Posted

how are you guys now ?

did you heal your trochentric bursitis?

l got it recently from doing hip abduction exercise !? m very concerned about this condition

• Posted

[Suppressed links for faster access.]

Hello Monica. Have you been feeling better now? I can see you're an educated woman so I wonder why didn't you question your dr. about the prescription of an antidepressant to treat hip inflammation. As you know cymbalta is an serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor i.e an anti depressant. On the other hand the condition you have, trocanteritis, is an inflammation. If you need mood enhancers it would be better to opt for St John's Wort (for serotonin) and a good Vitamin B complex + mineral (not forgetting Zinc) and supplement with extra Magnesium and Glucosamine (better with Chondroitin). Women in "middle age" have hormonal imbalances and on their own they generate many physical problems and "myalgias". You should check your hormones. It's likely they're imbalanced. Perhaps Oral Micronized Progesterone (OMP) would also help you sleep (the lack of which causes fibromyalgia for eg.) and a bit of bioidentical estradiol. But your hormones should be checked. A "myalgia" without inflammation, tough, is not the same as trocanteritis which causes pain but has indeed an underlying inflammation.

In fact have a look at anarticle that came out on the Guardian on how "Anti-inflammatory-drugs-could-fight-depression-immune-disorders".

Isn't this curious? So inflammation causes depression not the other way around. 

Following an anti inflammatory (excluding dairy or in small amounts organic only but no milk, no wheat, etc, etc) is appropriate. Also, besides of getting you "middle age" ailments addressed with proper support from hormones and nutrients trocantheritis must be treated with adequate physical therapy and for as long as it takes. In my view rotating several methods is better.  Troncanther pain/inflammation many times also causes lower back pain that gets worse if your spend a lot of time sitting. So it's better to use ( a dr Oz suggestion) a neck pillow under your butt (that's right!). 

What else: is there a good antiaging MD? That would save you a lot of time and  trouble. 

All the best. X. 

• Posted

thanks a million Teresa,

I have just signed up with a new GP here in UK (....forget about my previous and unfortunatelly useless GP in Ireland) and she gave me a lot of helpfull suggestions... I have also got the chance to see an orthopedic and he changd my d=medication, have some positive feeling/expectation on this ..... I have started to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

happy new year

• Posted

Hello Monica, I've read your pervious posts and have been experiencing very similar symptoms as you described. I have had this pain for a week nowand haven't had much success in easing the pain. I have an appointment with my doctor to get a formal diagnosis but am pretty sure it's what you have. I am a runner and am 45 years old. The thought of not running causes distress for me. I pray you're doing better and will let you know how I'm doing.
    • Posted

You may find that the running is causing the irritation of your trochanteric bursae. It can be an "over-use" thing, as it is with me.

• Posted

@ monica111 If "trochanteric bursitis" has a mechanical basis it will be worsened by that activity (e.g. running) and other loading factors such as climbing stairs. It might be worthwhile to keep a diary to determine cause-and-effect.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response.  I have had 3 total knee replacements...after 8 knee arthroscopys....I have not 

''run'' for a very, very long time.    The Physical Therapist

tells me that when patients have this ''Trochanteric" issue, they almost scream when she pushes on it.   I have no reaction whatsoever.   More Xrays show significantly inflamed nerve root between L4 and L5.   MRI done...will get results today.

And it has now been 13 wks ( 3 months ) of this pain.  So the Doc who insists this is a muscle strain is still wrong.   Good luck to all on here.

• Posted

You must consider why you had the knee "replacements" [In reality they are "knee substitutes", no biological knee can be replaced], and wonder if there is a cause-and-effect relationship with that abnormality.

Are your feet normal?

• Posted

I had a very serious injury to both knees...they kept the pain under control by taking out the ripped cartilage until there was no more left.   They would not do a replacement until I reached age 50 so I suffered longer than I should have...but 2nd knee is now 19 years old and working well.  I wore out the 1st knee, and the revision is now 9 years old.    They "replace'' the parts that are not functional with things that make it functional (pain free)...thus call it a ''replacement''.
    • Posted

I am very familiar with prosthetic knees, having implanted many over many years.

It is a misconception that loss of cartilage causes knee pain, and I have seen many people who have no cartilage whatever, and yet have no pain.

A common cause of knee pain is abormalities of the feet. The explanation is complex, but is certain.

This is not the venue to consider those biomechanical features so long ignored by knee surgeons

• Posted

TORN cartilage is very painful, more so if one is quite active.

I am amazed that you are unfamilar with bone-on-bone

pain.  It is real, trust me.  Those nerve endings on bones were never intended to be irritated so brutaly.   Those with extreme

bone on bone pain have no pain when the replacements parts

are put in.  So it must be real.

• Posted

You must differentiate between a torn meniscal cartilage and tears of the articular cartilage (can I assume that?).

I am not unfamiliar with knee pain. You are the one who has made assumptions as to the cause.

Meniscal tears give symptoms when fragments entrap in the knee joint. It has long been recognised that the majority of the elderly have (asymptomatic) meniscal degeneration/tears.

I can base my opinion on having seen inside many knees which have bone on bone contact (i.e. no articular cartilage) and yet those people have no pain, not even a limp.

I am surprised that you attempt to give me a lesson in orthopaedic surgery,

• Posted

I'm so sorry JP if I gave you the wrong impression . I have no problems at all with my knees but I had an MRI and it's definitely trocanteric bursitis with frayiny and tendinitis. I had my surgery yesterday five fantastic orthopedic arthroscopic surgeon for a bursectomy with ITB windowing and repairing and cleaning up in there . I'm doing well as the second day . But a lot of pain and will start physical therapy next week , I'm so excited to know that I'm finally going to be over this mess which was called from my car accident . Thank you for all your comments and may God bless you , Connie
    • Posted

Also I forgot to add that I do not have any arthritis anywhere and worked out four days a week as far as walking and physical therapy for my lower back and neck which that's been constant PT for eight years . My brother is a doctor as well and my nephew is a physical therapist . I've learned a lot about trocanteric bursitis the main thing is that you need to find out what caused it in the first place so that we can prevent it from happening again . However I finally opted on surgery because I've gone every other route and surgery is extremely successful when it's done the right way by the right doctor , thank you so much and take care
    • Posted

Every Best Wish and Good Thoughts, Connie.

Please tell me how it goes....

• Posted

Hey Connie -Please explain exactly the sugery that you had due to your Trocanteric bursitis? I always thought that there is no surgery for this situation? I am getting frustrated with having this. The inflamation is always there for me. I live on 800 MG Advil-2 to 3 times a day. I have been told to look in Boswellia VS Advil. Any idea on this product Boswellia?? I almost think I would be better off having a very bad hip -getting that hip replaced and move on VS this T.Bursitis. I am interested in this surgery you had because I would rather get this done then keep taking meds for the rest of my life. I am 60 so have a long way to go. I am very active. Play golf whenever I can. I use to play ice hockey(goalie) but with my situation I cannot even think about going back to play unless my T. Bursitis goes away. Thank You.   

• Posted

Hi Mark, I am 61 and I have a little medical training and some doctors in the family , I got sick of this horrible illness and couldn't deal with it because of the neck and back injury, please don't take Advil or over-the-counter anti-inflammatories as they will damage your liver . I found a great orthopedic surgeon who does arthroscopic bursectomy, however it's very important that he does IT band windowing and debridement if necessary . I had it done on my right hip three months ago and now in two days I will have it on my left hip . You have to do physical therapy for it at a week after the surgery but I can tell you more about that later, my doctor didn't have me do all the things other doctors make you do , he was great . I live in Arizona end I'm sure there's one you can find if you do a lot of calling . Period it is really the only way to totally get rid of it because it will just keep coming back and I had two sets of shots end one was guided with ultrasound . The truth of the matter is I've researched it and most people don't ever get over it unless they have bursectomy . That way you grow a new healthy one within a few weeks and you won't have this back , then you just do some physical therapy and you're good to go . I wish you the best and lock end hope you can find someone if not you can contact me but I know you will . But please don't take over-the-counter anti-inflammatories if you can help but there are so many natural ones that you can look up online, clove powder put into gelcaps , fish oil, Tumerick or the lCucuramin, (sp) , that they get from Tumerick is very powerful . Also really good glucosamine is also powerful anti-inflammatory and I took the ones that work at the same cellular level . However none of that really took care of it totally and I was so done with it because of my neck and back, take care and good luck Mark
    • Posted

Sorry about the messy spelling, I have to use voice to text because of my neck so and is actually and, and I was talking about the powerful derivative of Tumerick spice , circumvent, sp😁😁😁
    • Posted

Hi Connie Thank You so much for this and I do have an appt. with another Ortho Doctor. I will go over this with her when I see her next Monday Jan 4th. I hope she says she will try and perform this surgery. I have had this situation for almost 2 years now. Yes the 800 MG Advils work but I cannot continue taking that. I am surprised that the ortho Dr. I use now has not mentioned this Bursectomy. I will also ask him too. Best Regards and Happy & Healthy 2016 to you and your loved ones.  Mark 
    • Posted

Hi Connie- Can you please explain in detail what is IT Band Windowing and what is Debridement mean. THX  Mark
    • Posted

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comments and your question. I am not a doctor nor do I have any in-depth medical training , just been around it a lot . All I know is IT band windowing means they kind of cut a circular hole in your IT band which is kind of like the outer sheath of a sausage. , That prevents future rubbing and friction on the area, and prevents injury and then the debridement, kinda like Roto-Rooter cleans out any debris or fibers that are getting caught in there , kind of clean out any tissue that is stuck in there, look it up online and find doctors pages that

The surgery and after care and the results and patients comments on the success of it. Good luck to you end find a good outcome for your self and best wishes for the new year, and the family.

• Posted

Have a look on YouTube, Mark....there will probably be a video on it. smile

• Posted

Hi Mark I sent you a long explanation yesterday of the answer to your question as far as I know . Also you can look it up online very easily . Best of luck to you and happy new year , I'm feeling pretty good after yesterday's bursectomy . And the good news is it won't come back
    • Posted

I don't understand why your replies are being deleted by the moderator. Anyway good luck with your problems. I am so relieved to know the the L3 disc in my back is causing the pain in my thighs and hips. The epidural cortisone injection I had on 12/21 is still helping me. I don't know how long the relief will last but I hope for a few months. I am planning to try an inversion table for my slipped disc (L3).  Does anyone have any experience with an inversion table for back problems and, if so, which brand is a good one? 
    • Posted

Good morning Clarice- Just getting up and my left knee is feeling sore I can it is like siaticia. My lower back is very tight. Hard to walk up right and this is with meds in me so I would be alot worse if not taking the ibpro.  I have been talking to a PT person who is on U tube- she is very helpful and my issues could be a number of causes like both legs NOT being the same length- spine issues but I have no doubt it is an inflamed bursa. I guess she is concerned that if I have the surgery it will come back unless I cure the reasons I have the inflamed bursa which I understand what she is saying. No quetion a lenghty PT program will help along with icing, etc. Will let you know what my Ortho. doctor says today when I get back home. Be curious if this Ortho doctor has performed this bursa surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Mark, I was sure I had Trochanteric buristis as s result of my right hip tislocation following hip replacement surgery in 6/2015 & my chiropractor though I did also until I began having pain in my left thigh, hip & low back. I have since learned I have a bad disc in my back due to arthritis--even after having back surgery in 2011. Now I will need another back surgery but hoping to delay that as long as possible. Feel great now after having an epidural steriod injection in my back for the L3 disc. If I were you, I would have some back X-rays to see if there is a problem there. Good luck. Hope you find the cause of your pain soon. It was such a relief for me just to know the cause even though it will require more surgery later this year. From experience, I know the injections will only last 3-4 months at the most & possible only 1 or 2 months--maybe only weeks.
    • Posted

I have found that I have very weak muscles around my hips so the more walking I do the worse the situation gets and that is why I have a very inflamed left hip bursa. Just started PT and hopefully PT and icing will help plus cannot do much walking until I build up my hip muscles. I did receive a cortisone injection week before Thanksgiving due to I was going away for a mini golf vacation but I should ahve been told that after reciving the cortisone shot you should rest- and I ended up doing tjust the opposite playing 7 days in a row and when the shot wore off last week )first of the year2016) my left hip bursa hurts more now then before I got the cortisons shot so now just have to go easy- do PT and ice. If this inflamed bursa does not go away in about 4 to 6 weeks I will look into my Ortho Dr. doing surgery to remove the inflamed bursa. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.