Open Myomectomy

Posted , 81 users are following.

I am just over 4 weeks post open myomectomy and was wondering how others have recovered. The scar is still swollen and sore which I expected however at times I get what I can only describe as sharp "stabbing" pains. These seem to be more from inside my body rather than from the scar. Is this normal? I'm not due to see my GP for another week so just wanted to check with others who may have gone through the procedure.

3 likes, 141 replies

141 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ffion28

I'm 3 weeks tomorrow post op yay feeling good. My scar below the belly button is fine, mines just a bit puffy above the belly button where they joint it bk up cause I was cut from just above my button. If I do to much I get like a burning pain in my tummy similar to heart burn. 

Oh and when I wee it's a little uncomfortable iv had it checked and there no infection but apart from that I'm feeling great so so glad the fibroids gone. Hope your recovery is going well?

• Posted

Glad you are doing well. I get that burning pain too. Guess there will be some discomfort for a while. Have 2 small children so some days I think it's just doing a bit too much. Although trying to walk as believe exercise is good. Find I get very tired after my walks! You were cut vertically? Was that due to the size of your fibroid? 
    • Posted

Yes it was vertically my fibroid weight just under 6 pounds!! Yes myself with 2 kids it was ok first 2 wk my mother in law stayed with us so I was able to get plenty of rest. The first day after she had gone just doing there breakfast I was tired, iv been to supermarket and I needed to sit down lol that was in wk 2 :-0 you feel like yh I can do this and then I find I just get extremely tired from doing a simple task. I may not be in much pain but the tiredness is definitely a issue. Hopefully it want be long until we regain our strength 100 cent.
    • Posted

Wow 6 pounds that is a lot! Bet you are relieved it has gone. Didn't get mine weighed, surgeon didn't offer. They found another one while operating so glad I got it done. Yes the tiredness is tough. Like you said feel as if ok then realise simple tasks are tiring. Supposed to be going back to work in 2 weeks but going to follow what the GP says which is probably phased return. Got to look after ourselves!! 
    • Posted

Yh I requested a picture of it to which they thought was very strange lol so your having 6 wk off I told my manger 6 wk but I said it may be more depending on how one feels. Definitely not going to rush we need to remember that we had major surgery so we just need to stay in tune with our body's we will know when we are right. 

I do wish you all the best I know for me the future is bright being fibroid free I'm soo happy I can already feel the benefits in my health onwards and upwards :-) take care!!!

• Posted

Yes keep forgetting it was major surgery! When I talk to people they alway say must be like a c section but have never had one so not sure!! Yes all the best to you too.
    • Posted

Hi! I know this was a little while ago; however, I am due for a vertical incision myself for my myomectomy. How was the healing for you? And was scarring as terrible as I'm thinking? My fibroid is 20cm and I want it out!!
    • Posted

Hello

Am new here

Happy to be part of dis discussion

Very informative

Am scheduled for my surgery in Dec and it's a vertical one

Can u please tell what type of knickers u wore as De incision was vertical

Tnx

• Posted

Hi nasad

I am just on my 8th day after an open myomectomy, vertical incision. I went dressing free for the first time today and it seems to be fine. I usually wear a light vest and tucked this into my knickers (regular medium rise cotton knickers) so that the waistband doesn't rub. I've been fairly comfortable all day.

I think your incision will be fine. You can always get some extra dressings if you need them, but follow your Doctor/ Nurse's advice.

Happy to answer any other questions. All the best for your recovery.

smile

• Posted

Hi i requested a pic too and got a strange look....hence no pic after wards lol
    • Posted

Hello, I just had surgery done on Fri April 1st. Wat was supposed to be a quick, easy surgery requiring the 3 small holes in the uterus to take out fibroids w possibly an inch incision if they cudnt take it out, they opened up "a can of worms" and had to cut a 6 inch incision horizontal "c-section" at the bikini line to get fibroids and endometriosis taken out while manipulating the bladder and filling the stomach up w gas so they can see everything. Recuperation was originally supposed to be 2 weeks but has been changed to 6 weeks w post follow up in 3 weeks. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similarb"procedure" done, what I can expect in the next "6 weeks" and how going back to work will be like. My part time day job-25 hrs a week is an easy non stressful behind the desk answering calls and at the computer. My 40 hr week FT is more physical, working in a laboratory, living heavy items up to 50lbs, LOTS of standing in one place, and if there is sitting, its a stool. Please help me out. Im 33, 5'5, 123 lbs. Imm not a big girl, but not too skinny either, toned. Thanks for any help/advice!
    • Posted

Hi

I am eight weeks after a vaginal hysteroscopy & myoectomy, it was easy after the procedure, i was normal again after 3 days.

two weeks ago i started to experience extreme pain under my navel, went back to my gynea who said it could be my colon. All results were clear from blood tests, sonar etc

two days ago, i started to feel discomfort again but this time under my navel and deep inside my abdomen

I went back to my gnea who saw thar my uterus is swollen & thinks it could be my period, 

i have no bled at all since the procedure, i am afraid it could be clotting inside me from scar tissue

i am now taking ponstan & bascopan. its slightly eased the cramps & pain, but i am so sore

Does anyone have any advice for me, i dont know what to do anymore

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Regards

• Posted

Hi Jazmine,

I was wondering if you'd gotten any better. I'm 7 weeks post op and went back to work on Monday. I think I made a mistake. I'm almost feeling like I did 2 weeks after surgery and walking like it too.

I don't have another ob appt until September and I start school at the end of month....

Please let me know that there's a silver lining here.

• Posted

Wow 20 cm !!! Mine is only 7 cm the other 2 smaller and he is thinking histerectomy sad ... did you get to keep your uterus ? Thank you 
    • Posted

Hi Justus3. I'm due a myomectomy in a week. I've got several large fibroids close to 10 apparently. My gynae never once suggested hysterectomy. Go on the NHS website and read their guidance. With advances in technology only a surgeon who is not skilled would recommend hysterectomy for fibroids. Hysterectomy is not the default treatment for fibroids anymore. I would say get a second opinion and save your uterus. All the best! Xx

• Posted

Yes I had 10 fibroids that were removed 5 weeks ago that’s what was recommended to me at first. But being that I was only 33 with no kids they opted to just to do the myomectomy. My doctor told me that I should be able to conceive as normal in about 6 months once my uterus has healed 

• Posted

Hi Tiesha1984. Thanks for your response. Come to think of it my gynae did first ask if I wanted kids and following that discussion recommended myomectomy. How are you recovering? Hope it's going well.

• Posted

Hey @agathaT I’m recovering great! Currently it’s been 5 weeks since I’m down 6 pounds since the day of surgery and I’m already active. I typically walk about 3 miles or so a day 3 times out the week. Tomorrow I will start back going to the gym and do some light weights. Oh and if anybody is wondering what works to get rid of the scar Mederma Pm and bio oil throughout day is bomb! My scar is almost non existent. Good luck on your surgery and remember to listen your body during recovery. 😘

• Posted

Wow tiesha1984 it sounds like you are making great progress! I'm happy for you. You lost 6 pounds?  Was that all due to the fibroids?(were your fibroids on the outside or inside?) Also are you still on pain meds? Sorry for bombarding you with lots of questions!

Let me know how it goes with the gym. I don't want to become totally inactive after my surgery but then at the same time I wouldn't want to overdo it. Thanks for the Mederma Pm and bio oil recommendation. I was wondering what to do about reducing scarring - I'll definitely look around for these two tomorrow. I'm putting together my hospital bag...I can't believe it's only a week away Time has flown by!

• Posted

@tiesha1984 - p.s. how soon did you start using the bio oil and mederma & where did you purchase mederma from? xx

• Posted

@agathaT well one of my fibroids was pretty large. It was the size as if I was 18 weeks pregnant. The other 8 were normal size. So some weight was def from the fibroid but u also don’t have much of a appetite afterwords. I literally could only eat jello and fluids (soup on a good day) for like a week. I stopped pain meds after the first 3 days because I didn’t wanna become needy for them. But the gas is the worst part so get ready 😣I started using the mederma and bi oil after my post op appt after 3 weeks. Got them both from amazon. If you’re a pretty active person then you should have great recovery. Let me know how it’s goes! 

• Posted

@tiesha1984 thanks for all the advice and support. I'll keep you posted xx

• Posted

Hello Agatha,

I pray that all went well with your surgery. I am 13 day post myomectomy bikini cut surgery. I had a total of 7 fibroids some the size of large mangos. I must say I really underestimated this procedure (pain). I'm very happy that I had the surgery because I was tired of going through so much with my then menstrual so no regrets. I'm very grateful to be progressing through this recovery, but know there will be some up and some down days (various reasons). Yes I have some down time to go but I know that each day is better that the last. I stopped taking the pain killers 2 days after I was discharged from my 3 day hospital stay, sometimes I feel like I need them but I try to sleep it off. As another person mentioned, I'm experiencing a loss of appetite, I don't know what that is about, so I have been eating fruit, it seems to go down well. My follow up is this week so I'll check in on you all afterwards.

• Posted

Hey tiesha

I just want to know if your tummy went down after 5wks after your operation. And what about the pain?

I am just over 5wks post open mymectomy and I feel almost good but when I sit for too long I feel pain on my incision mind u it was bikini cut thou and I also feel like my tummy is not going down. Is this normal? Hope u feel better now yourself

• Posted

@mary19501 

Hey Mary, 

It’s been 2 months since my surgery and my stomach still isn’t completely down. They say it varies by person but I have started back being active. My soreness wasn’t completely gone at 5 weeks either. I had to learn to listen to my body. 

• Posted

Hi tiesha1984. Hope your recovery is going well. Update -  I'm 20 days post op. The op went well but Post op got a bit dramatic and I spent 1 week in hospital. Firstly the scan showed 10 fibroids they found 25! The surgeon managed to remove all 25. - hats off to him and his team! My uterus was the size of a 24 week pregnancy and I had some really big fibroids all over the place - outside, in the muscle wall and in the uterine cavity. They also found endometriosis which they scraped off and a cyst on one ovary which was removed. The other ovary was adhered to the pelvic wall they had to deal with that as well. I lost quite a lot of blood during surgery and also post op.  I had to get 3 packs of blood transfused. I feel mentally alert but still get tired easily not as much as in the beginning though. I'm trying to walk outdoors everyday. I'm up to 20 minutes but that's with me walking so slow a snail could overtake me lol. The distance I walk in 20 min Inwould cover in 5 min pre op. I'm still in a bit of pain but it's getting better. My tummy's gone down a bit but it's still a bit swollen. I sometimes get the shooting pains others have described and sitting for long periods is still difficult. All in all I thank God it went well. Mentally I feel more alert it's just my body that's doing the catching up now. 

• Posted

I'm scheduled for the 20th for both procedures too😔😧😞.Thats if they can't reach one that's in the back which they said it would be hard to reach with laparoctomy. I pray everyday they can't get it and they wouldn't have to open me up🤧😢😭😭😭. Just saw that this was 2 yeras ago. But how was your recovery and was the pain unbearable after the you woke up??? If you dont mind me asking? How may days did you have to stay in the hospital? How long did it take before you could go to the restroom or move around by yourself. How was the pain level from 1-10😢??? I'm sure after the years youre feeling alot better. How's your scar?? Hope your feelinf great🙄

• Posted

I just had the abdominal Myomectomy 2 days ago on Thursday. I just left the hospital today.  I was very nervous about getting this procedure done as I have never had surgery before. I spent time researching and reading testimonials from different people about their experience, so maybe mine will help someone else. 

The morning of surgery after arriving at the hospital was pretty straight forward. I went back, got weighed, gave a urine sample once again to make sure I wasn’t pregnant. Was given a gown and stuff to change into. Met the nurse who placed the needle into my arm for the anesthesia.  About 10mins later was rolled into the operating room.  Met the operating team and it was literally lights out.  Don’t even know when I went under.

Woke up about 5 and a half hours later. I apparently took longer than usual to come out of the anesthesia, like 2 hours. Was completely out of it when I opened my eyes and pretty much stayed like that for the rest of the day, in and out of sleep 😴. I did immediately feel pain at the incision but it gradually died down as I was on a pain killer drip or (PCA machine). I was incredibly nauseous while coming off of the anesthesia even ice chips or water made me want to throw up. So they gave me nothing for a day. 

The second day they took the catheter out and remove the PAC machine. Some people are allowed to leave on the second day however there are certain thing you have to do in order to be discharged. 

1)void 3 times on your own

2)eat without complications

3)pass gas

Some hospitals may require other things also. I was unable to do number 1. I had the urge to urinate, I could feel my bladder was full but both times I went to the bathroom, nothing! It was so frustrating. They had to put the catheter back in just to empty my bladder and that wasn’t a great experience, I now see why it’s mostly done when ur knocked out. I wasn’t able to use the bathroom for the first time on my own until about 3am on the 3rd day. Then I went all the time after that. 

The pain was fine when on the Percocet or Motrin. The minute they wear off, omg the pain is intense. My stomach is swollen and there is a ton of gas which is uncomfortable and a little painful. Coughing, laughing, sneezing all hurts like hell.  Moving isn’t easy but it gets better each day. You will need to rest as much as you can. I went home walked up some stairs and used the bathroom and was completely exhausted. Do not over extend yourself as bleeding may start again. The pillow or compression belt for my stomach works wonders too.  

Can’t wait to see how I’ll feel in a few weeks!

Well that’s my experience, a little long sorry!😃 

• Posted

Thanks for the comprehensive description..  It helps to ease the nerves a bit before going in knowing more or less what to expect.  I just want to ask you something if you don't mind.  When you came out of theatre did you bleed a lot, like you needed pads?  And the days after that?  Sorry if I am a bit forward but it is going to be very uncomfortable for me if I have to lie there with a catheter, in pain with blood everywhere.

• Posted

All of this was the same for me as well. Except they must have emptied my bladder while I was under, so no catheter and no overnight stay. But the pain from moving , laughing etc., the not eating, and gas everything else was same for me. The compression belt was my lifesaver. But I had no bleeding for two reasons one because they used a chemical to stop the flow during procedure and two because they suspected, due to my age that when they stopped it , it wouldn't come back. (46 at time of surgery in September, and it hasn't really ) . But I'm so glad I did it. I feel lighter. I have more energy, and have kept off the 7 pounds that having them in me had added. Good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for posting your experience. I have been putting off this surgery for years now because I am a big wimp and scared to death of having surgery. I am 51 and have several uterine fibroids with my largest being over 15 cm now and I look like I am 5-6 months pregnant. I really don't want to have a hysterectomy and am opting for a myomectomy because I have been reading that recent studies show that a having your uterus removed isn't always the best answer even when you are older. What made you decide to go this route instead of a hysterectomy? Also, how are you feeling?

• Posted

I also looked about 4 ir 5 mis. Pregnant. But its gone now and I feel great mine were all smaller like 3 and 4 centimeters but there were 10. as for now im so much more comfortable. I do get twinges of pain at scar sites from time to time but its just that, twinges and it's only been 7 months so I expect it to continue to fade. I have four very small scars and an additional scar in fold of belly button but I'm so happy.

I was also afraid. Not of surgery I've had many others but of surgery in this area. I'd been told I had no other option but hysterectomy. So I put it off for years. I suffered with horrible periods and it just sucked. So one day I decided to go to a new doctor who specializes in fibroids and it was God (or luck if you're not religious) I just wound up at a guy whose claim to fame was this type of surgery. He immediately sent me for tests and said I was a good candidate. Surgery was long, like 3-4 hours but still went home at end of day and as I said, pain was bad but by the 3rd week I was walking gingerly and by 6th or 7th week I was back at work (substitute teacher). I actually tried to go back earlier but couldn't stand for long periods so added 2 more weeks of rest and then went back. But I'm happy. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.