200mg Trimethoprim (twice a day) feel sick all morning!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 24 year old male and went to doctors on friday 29th Jan with aching bladder/kidneys and slight diharrea.

Did a urine sample (results should hopefully be back today) and doctor prescribed Trimethoprim 200mg which I'm taking twice a day.

Yesterday I woke up felt fine for 15 minutes then started feeling REALLY nauseous, sick (but wasn't actually sick), shaking, head felt hot and couldn't get comfortable or sleep through the symptoms either but by lunchtime felt okay!

I went back in to the doctors and he had another feel of my abdomen and took my temperature which he said was fine (despite me feeling feverish) and basically said it could either be the infection or side effects causing these symptoms. He said to try and eat something, keep taking on lots of liquids and to wait for my results.

This morning woke up, felt fine for 15 minutes then same again-nausea, feeling sick (was very nearly sick!), shakes, feeling feverish etc

I woke at about 7.30 am it's now 12.15pm and I feel okay again.

Anyone else have the same thing or knows of something to negate these side effects? I'm drinking plenty of water and flat lucozade/cola as suggested by the doctors, also taking paracetamol and ibuprofen as often as the packets say (and taking them an hour apart from each other)

Please Help!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi i have been feelin like that on and off all day, having looked i th internet i found the following

Like any other medication, Trimpex-Trimethoprim too may cause some sort of side effects that ranges from mild, moderate to severe. In case, the patient complaints about any or all of the following conditions or symptoms, he should immediately be taken to the doctor for necessary medical assistance. However, in certain common side effects the patient should not stop taking the medication but he should inform his doctor on priority.

Allergic reactions such as: sever skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of face, lips, mouth or throat, difficulty breathing or swallowing, fever, low blood pressure and experiencing like fainting or dizziness. Several more side effects may be reported by some patients taking Trimpex-Trimethoprim medication such as: nausea, vomiting tendency or vomiting, rash or itching over the body, swollen t6ongue, sore mouth, headache, stiff neck and or higher body temperature.

Some of the less common or rare symptoms of side effects by Trimpex-Trimethoprim may also include: black or terry stools, blood in urine or stools, bluish fingernails or lips or skin, changes in facial skin color, chills, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, fever with or without chills, unusual feeling like discomfort or illness, headaches, joint or muscle pains, nausea, neck stiffness, pale skin, pinpoint red spots on the skin, redness or blistering or burning, tenderness, peeling or loosening of skin or mucous membranes, redness – swelling – soreness of tongue, red skin lesions often with purple center, sore throat, swelling – thickened or scaly skin, unusual bleeding or bruising and unusual tiredness or weakness.

i hope this helps Jo

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel, I had a really bad flu and was prescribed paracetamol ibropufen and trimethoprim after taken the antibiotic i felt really sick, i havent been sick but feel like anything will set it off. I don't know what else to do this antibiotic is making me feel worse then before I took it.
  • Posted

hi there i recently felt pain in my kidneys , constant urge to urinate

and a weak feeling in general,

i went to the doctor and my urine sample showed slight blood and

cloudiness according to the test

the doctor checked my bowels and diagnosed me with a uti urinary tract infection

I was told to take trimethoprim for 7 day twice a day 1 morning and 1 in the evening and aslo drink lots of fluids especially water

i started taking them and the first day i woke up i was sweating and felt weak

after a few days the sweating and weakness went away as did the urge to urinate and kidney pain

but every day i woke and for periods during the day i felt shakey

nervous and a sick stomack feeling like anxiety without getting sick

i have 2 days left on the antibiotics and am wondering how you are feeling now

• Posted

I have recurrent urinary tract infections every 3 months and each time I am prescribed Trimethoprim 200mg. Depending on the infection i.e. how poorly I felt before I went to the doctor determines the nausea I have during the drug taking period. Each time I have completed a course of Trimethoprim I feel much better so I would say grin and bear it.

It is interesting that I can confirm the exact symptoms of sick stomach, nausea and anxiety. I would also recommend as previous report eating little and often. Whatever I am doing I try to keep water with me and when at home keep a large glass of water and a straw (this seems to help the swallowing) beside me.

• Posted

I went to the doctors about a horrible pain in my stomach and he told me that I must have an intestine infection; he prescribed me with a 7 days course of Amoxicillin [3 times a day], after that course had ended, I went back and still had the same stomach problems as before. He then prescribed me with a 7 day course of Trimethoprim [twice a day] I finished that course on Monday. It is now Wednesday, and I woke up this morning covered in hives [red, raised lumps] literally, covered in them. I then found out that my family had a history of allergies against penicillin, and so I told my doctor, and he now thinks that I have an allergy against Trimethoprim.
  • Posted

Hi.

I was given this antibiotics when I was diagnosed with a urine infection. The first one I took was fine but the next day I felt like I was going to throw up. Today was my 6th tablet out if 14 as I was given 7 days twice a day. I have felt dreadful. I haven't beenable to eat due to feeling so sick. I went to take a nap and started to get the shakes and agitated. I actually starting crying and felt really scared. I've now stopped taking these and I'm going to my GP as I do not weigh very much and it's dangerous for me when I can't eat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.