Doxazosin-related (?) leg problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

for some years, I have had leg problems ; swelling of ankles, and perceived heavines of lower legs (as if filled with molasses) making walking very difficult.

I had difficulty persuading my GP that his could be a side effect of anti-hypertension medication: I have been taking a range of medecines for some years, but have now whittled these down to doxazosin (four 4mg tabs daily).  A week so back I had been taking [u]three[/u] 4mg tabs doxazosin plus amlodipine, but my GP suggested discontinuing amlodipine and upping the doxaxosin to compensate, since when the leg problems seem to have [u]worsened[/u].  There seems little doubt that doxazosin is the culprit.

Has anyone had a comparable experience?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My experience with Doxazosin is rather different from yours, as I was prescribed amlodipine earlier this year, but was unable to tolerate it for more than a month or two due to extreme swelling of my lower legs and ankles. The doctor then prescribed Doxazosin 1 mg per day and when I said I felt fine on that she increased the dose to 2 mg, and now it is up to 3 mg. I am finding that 3 mg is enough to make my ankles start to swell, particularly at night, and my legs do occasionally feel heavy, but it is nothing compared to the reaction I had to amlodipine. I am actually due to see her again tomorrow, and I think she will want to increase my dose to 4 mg as my systolic BP is still too high, averaging around the 140's, but frequently going much higher. The other problems I have with Doxazosin are backache and blurred vision, so I might ask if I can try something else, although I know all BP drugs come with their own set of problems and everyone reacts differently. I currently take Losartan, atenolol, bendrofluazide and Doxazosin. I doubt there is a perfect solution to high blood pressure.
  • Posted

It looks to me like you could be right.  I think Doxazosin should be removed as a medication for anything.  It has a lot to answer for giving patients more problems instead of helping with the one it was prescribed for.

I told my GP that under no circumstances would I continue to take Doxazosin whether he replaced it with something else or not.  I didn't have your leg problem with it, mine was urinary incontinence which is a common side effect of this medication.  I also came off Ramipril at the same time because this one gave me a terrible cough which was so bad I was sick most times.  This didn't help the incontinence.

I have looked at the list of problems with Doxazosin and your leg problem is one of them.  There are a lot of comments and various side effects with this medication.  If you click on Doxazosin in the list which usually appears on the right of these comments (Groups in Heart and blood vessels) you will see more discussions on Doxazosin including leg problems.

Good luck, but stick to your guns with the doctor.  Doxazosin is evil.  Could he up the amlodipine and stop the doxazosin may be?

• Posted

Have lower leg problems as well as many others foot feels bruised and painful now but started as spasms this tablet can cause muscular pain all over the body and hell with your stomach and bowels

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.