Gout

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 23 year old and I had my fist gout attack in my big toe 2 month ago, I then had my second attack a month after that but it hasn't gone away yet. I have suffered with the pain now for four weeks and it's started to get more painful and I can barely walk now. I'm choosing to walk on the outside of my foot which makes me look a bit strange but eases the pain slightly. But i am worried that I will get used to walking like this... Is there anything I can do to help? I have been taking ibuprofen to help but can't seem to shift it. Many thanks smile

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm older but could have just written that!  Try vitamin c twice a day....been pain free for a few days now at last.  It likes my ankle mostly. ..
  • Posted

Hi,

Ibuprofen won't shift gout - if you take enough Ibuprofen with a good painkiller it will help though.

You need to see a doctor who will typically prescribe Colchicine together Naproxen a decent painkiller such as Tramadol or Codeine.

If this is looking like a recurring thing speak to your doctor about gout management. I'm on Allopurinol now (300mg) and I haven't had an attack since. The last attack I had was severe, right ankle and right knee together. I;ve also had attacks so bad my right ankle is a bit deformed so my advice to you would be, don't procrastinate and get it under control now or you might be looking at a painfu future!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Alsie, I appreciate it. I have been to my doctor and he just seems to dismiss what I am saying. I think it's because I'm young... He just doesn't take me seriously :S I know the causes of gout but I really don't know what's kick starting it. I don't drink alcohol, I eat sensibly and don't drink sugary drinks :S it must be something to do with my diet though. Because my doctor won't take me seriously I feel embarrassed to go see him and ask for medication. Do you know of anything that I can buy over the counter? 
    • Posted

Alcohol and rich foods don't necessarily cause gout it can be as simple as a change in diet. When you're having a gout attack the area will be enflamed and hot. Over the counter meds are easy but not as good, if I got "caught short" so to speak this was my simple cure Boots-Ibuprofen-and-Codeine  Double dose to begin (assuming you're not allergic to codeine or Ibuprofen?) untiil the edge is off! Good luck!
    • Posted

Ok but it can be caused by kidney not working properly or bad diet or medication. I got gout as a result of medication for somethign entirely different.
    • Posted

People are always looking for reasons, and blaming themselves. You get gout because you get gout. The biggest cause are genes. Medication and to a lesser degree diet can make a difference, but don't beet yourself up.

• Posted

Everytime I get gout I know exactly why. Certain foods or sugary drinks. I often forget that I have gout and feel invincible, then baaam. Gout

For me gout is self-inflicted.

When eat a high plany based diet, zero grains and sugar. I eat high quatlity meat, stay hydrayted, I live gout free.

• Posted

For some reason my reply didnt show up.  so I will try again.  You should not still be having an acute attack after 4 weeks so get back to your doctor and get a referral to an orthopaedic consultant who will see you get a complete diagnosis and appropriate pain medication.  I have chondrocalcinosis (since I was 30 and I am now 66).  this is also called pseudogout but the two conditions have different causes that is why I said make sure you get a complete diagnosis.  I have found that the best relief is gained by ice packs, elevation with support, ibruphen gel max(10%) rubbed in if you can stand doing this.  Use crutches dont put weight on it while it is painful.  See if you can figure out the triggers - mine is overextension of the knee, or pressure on the toe - and avoid them.  When you have an attack also drink lots of water.  It can also make you feel low in mood and you often get sleep deprived.  so just expect that - it will pass.  I hope you feel better soon and as I said get your doctor to refer you and dont take a no as an answer - be pushy
  • Posted

Gout is a result of too much acid in the body. So fill your body with alkaline water and/or foods and cut down or cut out acid foods. In the meantime drinking barbarbonate of soda - just a pinch - in water three times a day jwill help with the acid, reducing it, and the pain.
    • Posted

Not quite correct, gout is a direct result of having higher than normal levels of Urate in the blood stream. Everybody has urates in their blood stream but if the body makes too much urate or the kidneys cannot remove the excess urate and the body goes beyond a certain level of urates in the blood stream then the urate can form crystals of sodium urate which tend to form and develope around joint tissues. Saying it's the body not balanced with acid/alkaline is not current thinking I'm afraid. A pinch of bicarbonate of soda or drinking honeygar etc are all well and fine but somebody who has really hi uric levels in their blood need proper management with Allopurinol or as the reumatologist suggests
    • Posted

I'm not sure I buy this, having researched it a little. For starters your stomach is a bath of hydrochloric acid so a pinch of alkali in food isn't going to make much difference or get through to lowering blood and urine acidity or end urates? However what ever works for you works!  if there is any more scientific infop it would be good to see.
    • Posted

YOu dont put it in food, you hvae it with a glass of water at least an hour before and/r ofter food. I did a lot of research. Lots of websites by qualified doctors and naturopaths recommend it and they have nothing to gain by recommending it at all. I was very ill with gout and it was caused by the medication given to me for stomach ulcers. They damaged my kidneys and gave me gout at the same time. I was also in a lot of pain all over my body. Nothing shifted it till I took the bicarbonate of soda and it helped a great deal. Just a pinch now and then.
    • Posted

They delete links here sadly, but just a quick Google reveals this (another Google may reveal the opposite!!!):

Foods don’t influence our blood pH

Proponents of the alkaline diet have put forth a few different theories about how an acidic diet harms our health. The more ridiculous claim is that we can change the pH of our blood by changing the foods we eat, and that acidic blood causes disease while alkaline blood prevents it. This is not true. The body tightly regulates the pH of our blood and extracellular fluid, and we cannot influence our blood pH by changing our diet. (5, 6) High doses of sodium bicarbonate can temporarily increase blood pH, but not without causing uncomfortable GI symptoms. (7, 8) And there are certainly circumstances in which the blood is more acidic than it should be, and this does have serious health consequences. However, this state of acidosis is caused by pathological conditions such as chronic renal insufficiency, not by whether you choose to eat a salad or a burger. In other words, regardless of what you eat or what your urine pH is, you can be pretty confident that your blood pH is hovering around a comfortable 7.4.

• Posted

For every article like the one you have pasted here there are just as many or more that say the opposite. Written by people who are highly qualified.

I will say that maybe they are right about food not changing things. But I also know that I became very ill with gout and it was bicarbonate of soda that put it right. It may well be that the medication I was on damaged and that put it right. But what about all the people who changed their diet and are sure it has helped? Why are you trying so hard to convince us and them they are wrong? Unless YOU have tried to change your diet and given it a good go and it failed for you why do you care?

• Posted

Rather bizarre question about why 'I care' about others or the subject of gout on a gout forum?  We are here to support and share and so if I think something is off the mark or misleading do forgive me for having an input.

Here is some science: tinyurl xxx/agys5yg  (change xxx to d0t c0m) which contains research references.

Maybe you have a link to 'highly qualified' counter points - that is then a fact based discussion and very healthy!

• Posted

Exactly. I had a terrible attack recently and before I found out it was gout, I had been drinking lemonade (home made, very acid) almost exclusively as a beverage. No more of that! Gout runs in my family.

For treatment the BEST cure is simple exercise and change of diet. I refuse to take medications or pain killers as I think solving the problem instead of treating the symptoms is the best way to go. To take ibuprofen or other things and not change one's lifestyle reminds me of those people with filthy homes that put those scented air fresheners around!

• Posted

NOTICE: I am new on the board. Pardon my advice to NOT drink lemonade! According to the internet searches for "gout diet" it recommends TO drink lemonade and to take lemon slices in water. I apologize- but in my belief, the lemonade was making mine worse. No HFCS in my beverages- this was home made lemonade from lemons and also citric acid (the powdered lemonade mixes) and sugar. Perhaps it was the SUGAR that had caused my problems and not the lemonade. Please disregard my advice on staying away from lemons as I am not a medical professional nor nutritionist- until given advice by a professional then disregard MY non-professional advice. Begging your pardons- Kris
    • Posted

Dont apologise Kris - its all about sharing what works for you.  Lots believe the alkaline/acid thing (which I dont) but its all good in the quest for cures/relief. A quick Google - "While water has a pH of 7, lemons are acidic, measuring at 2 to 3. The popular belief that lemons become alkaline during digestion isn't upheld by science. Under no circumstances can an acidic food alkalize your blood, said Kat Day, a chemist and science blogger in Oxfordshire, England. Because foods are not known to alter the pH of your blood or body, lemons won't acidify you either. Drinking lemon juice with water may increase the acid level of your urine, however, which is a sign that your kidneys are doing their job -- ridding you of excess acid."

For me: CELERY SEED 500mg x 3  + 3 x 200mg vit C all spread out - havent had an attach in months now...

• Posted

Hi Kristina, just to let you know lemons are my main trigger for gout so keep an eye out everytime you have lemonade smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.