Bunion operation.....one year on today!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Today marks exactly one year since I had a double bunionectomy and all I can say is it has been such a success. I would advise anyone thinking of going through with this operation whether it would be for just one or both feet and as long as you have planned ahead for example help during and after, work commitments and general wellbeing. There will and should be no problems. 

I may have been one of the lucky ones as I only experienced pain on day 2 after my operation. I think by taking preventative care such as Arnica and Zinc and Calcium tablets for which I still take now as I was told that I had soft bones, which was not the case as according to a dexa bone scan I had it showed that my bones where fine and the problem was with the poor x-ray image from the operation.

I never actually returned to work until 2.5 months after my operation and did not use public transport for around 2 weeks as advised by my surgeon so my work organised and paid for mini cabs. They were really good and supportive to me and then conveniently we broke up for Christmas holidays.

The biggest success to me was getting my full range of motion back after having physiotherapy which I followed and completed properly. I was wearing high heels after 5 months and was walking fast and running without any pain.

I must stress one thing though I still get puffiness on both feet especially first thing in the morning, if I have walked for ages and after hot baths. It is getting much better and I know that it can take in some cases longer than a year for full recovery

I would like to hear from anyone who has passed the one year mark and also anyone wanting advice whether you are thinking or have recently just had an operation done.

Good luck all and happy one year anniversary to me!

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello I had my left foot done 5 months ago and its healing pretty good and I am actually on my way now to do my right foot. 

• Posted

All the best when you do your right foot and glad it's healing nice for you.
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story and 'happy anniversary' :-)
  • Posted

Yes, thank you for sharing your story.  Very inspiring for me since I am 5 week post op , still no weight bearing and on my way to getting this foot to bend and work again.  Happy Anniversary to you!
    • Posted

Hi lovelady. Thank you, I was weight bearing at 6 weeks and it was the strangest feeling at first but I got used to it after a while. Get those toes wriggling as they will get stiff as I was told by my surgeon. Hope you are booked for physiotherapy at some stage soon.
  • Posted

Congratulations!  So happy to hear about your success. I'm three and a half months out.  My foot is still swollen and can't fit into most shoes.  I do have a couple of pairs of high heels which were wide because of my bunion so I can wear them.  I have a question.  Did you ever have pain on the bottom of your big toe  (not ball of foot), on the toe on which you had the surgery?   All seems well with me except the pain there when I walk. Good luck.  I'm sure you're happy you had them both done at once.  I would never have the second one done.  Too many problems.  Thank you, Joyce
    • Posted

Thank you Joyce. Glad my story has been positive so far. You are over the worse now at 3.5 months. I started off wearing velcro adjustable strap sandals to start off with then wide fitting shoes to accommodate the swelling. On to your question, I must say that I never experienced pain on the bottom of my big toes but I did have random aches on the ball of my feet and tenderness by my scars which eventually goes over time and yes it did hurt around that area when I walked but now it's a thing of the past. I am so glad I did both at the same time, it just worked out better for me. Sorry to hear your pain and hope that it wears off soon but don't be put off as I heard that the second tine around can be different. So pluck up that courage and go for it.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for replying, Rainey.  I don't know what's going on, as this is fairly new, but I'll try to see a doctor to check it out.  Mine is two hours away.

It's wonderful that you have beautiful new feet!!

• Posted

Hi Rainey, yes I have scheduled my PT to start next Friday Oct3rd, my surgeon said I can start weight bearing using my boot and crutches Oct. 2nd.  I am exercising my toes , but they are not bending very well.  Very stiff .  Thank you for your advise!
  • Posted

How nice to hear a success story and that you've bothered to come back to support others.  I'm yet to have the operation and want to ask you if you had screws & shaving and if full range means you can move your big toe?  I wonder why you get swelling and how much you did to get the swelling?  I love hiking and am frightened that I won't be able to do this afterwards.  Also how do you keep fit while having to keep your feet up for six weeks?  I can't lie still for more than a day so I can't bear to think what I'll be like if I have to stay put for more than 48 hours!  I hope to hear from you and others.
    • Posted

Hi Mumbles1 thank you for your kind words. When are you booked to have your operation? I have a screw in my left foot, screw and stapler in my right foot and both bones shaved off. I always forget about the screws until someone asks me about my feet, I suppose that's a good thing! Full range of motion is getting at least 90 degrees in your foot/feet which I was close to near the end of my physio, so it's about being able to bend and getting that flexibility back in your toes as you would of had normally before. I'm not sure why I get the puffiness by my toe joints but I'm putting it down to always being on my feet, hopefully it will settle eventually. Mumbles1 you will be able to do any activity afterwards just pace yourself and don't overdo it. I think the more you exercise your feet the better progress you will notice quickly. Make sure you exercise your leg and feet while you are lying down. I did leg lifts, rotating ankles and wriggling toes everyday and it also prevents DVT too. I got so bored at times especially in the early stages of my recovery. I ended up building SIMS city (computer game) on my iPad which really passed the time. I was like you at first with all the uncertainties but it will be over before you know it and you will be walking and hiking in no time!
    • Posted

I haven't booked yet Rainey, I'm trying to decide when's the best time to have the operation & I haven't been to the doctor yet!  My left foot is worse as the big toe has started pushing behind the second toe.  I presume that makes for a more complex operation, whereas the right foot is just curved but the big toe is not tucking into the next toe yet!  I will try to see my GP next week as your story gives me hope!  I never wore high heels much as I'm tall but I wore cheap shoes & probably shoes that were too small.  No one else in my family has a problem except me!  I will take your advice and thank you. 

• Posted

Just read your post Rainey and feel very encouraged by it. It's great to hear of your positive experience. I had my operation on the 17th June this year. I did not have any pain folloeing the operation at all.  I had bunion op big toe fusion and second toe pin/screw. I am now almost 4 months on and have started dancing 3 times a week and also managed a couple of days walking round London. My foot is still slightly swollen and my toes are sometimes achy rather than painful but I feel I'm getting there. I'm wearing flat shoes for dancing and obviously take care not to over do it. Getting back to Sunday rambling is my target but I will make do with cycling until then. I've accepted I'm never going to wear nice heels again but a small price to pay if I can enjoy my hobbies again
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words. Glad to gear that your recovery is going really well and your progression sounds great too. I experienced the same feeling too with the achy feet after a long day but that rarely happens now. Sorry to hear that you are unable to wear heels again so I'm guessing you will not be able to regain full range of motion back but are you able to bend your toes properly? Oh the plus side I bet you are pleased with your new feet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.