anyone changed from warfarin to fragmin for dvt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I have had the worst 8 weeks on warfarin, enflamed intestines which put pressure on my internal organs, extreme fatigue where I couldn't function, extreme hair loss, joint pain, itchiness, ulcers in mouth, sweating and other issues. I just cannot take it anymore. I was supposed to be swapping to sinthrome a week ago but it didn't get sorted and was told the other option was back on fragmin. Think I'm going to opt for that today, I have 4 weeks and 3 days left to take it, my hubby doesn't mind injecting me as I can't do it myself. Has anyone else changed to this and had any problems or felt better? Please let me know

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have injected clexane myself after 2 bouts of thrombophebitis following a DVT. I didn't have any problems with warfarin for the 6 months I was taking it. Personally I would like to stay on the injections for peace of mind !! I'm sure you will be fine as long as the blood tests are still done. Sorry that you have had such a bad time on warfarin. 
  • Posted

Dear saz

I have no information about your INR during warfarin use. High levels can cause haemorrhage. 

I witness a huge debate between doctors supporting warfarin x new anticoagulants. I moved from and back to warfarin this year. Warfarin allows monitoring and reversion in opposition to rivaroxaban e.g.

The downside of warfarin is that it is vulnerable to vitamin K and some medical drugs. In my experience, during adjustment phase i needed a INR measurement each three days. After that a 5-7 days mesurement is good enough. This way any departure from prescribed range can be detected. 

• Posted

Hello saz0573

I have recently been diagnosed with dvt & pulmonary embolisms.  In the beginning I was getting daily injections of fragmin then they gave me warfarin at the same time.  Horrendous.  I started coughing up blood.  After visits to the A & E and the emergency clinic the following day warfarin was stopped & I have continued on fragmin(Delteparin) ever since.

Some of the symptoms you describe I had.  I was so dizzy I fell over.  My legs weighed a ton and went from under me. I felt sick all the tome & lost my appetite.

All this was due to having reactions to warfarin.  It was the only different drug introduced two days before the extreme side effect began.

I inject myself daily and although I have some milder type of side effects I can cope with them.  It is finding what works for you.  because I have other medical conditions & medications I take daily, including steroids, some of these are not compatable together.

It is always best to see who is responsible for your treatment & discuss your options.   Our Ambulatory Emergency Care in my area is very good.  Also, I have a respiratory consultant who has taken full charge of what is happening with me, as I have asthma, empysema, addison's & chronic sinusitis.

In my personal opinion If the side effects are worse than the complaint something needs to change.

I hope you have medical support in place who can assist you.  It can be daunting with these drugs.  I'm informed the benefits outway the risks.

Regards

Chris

• Posted

Hi SAZ0573

I have taken delteparin injections for 6 months and did not notice many side effects.  Feet burning, some fatigue and not much else.  I stopped taking Delteparin(Fragmin) the second week in September and two weeks later I have massive hair loss.  Approximately 40% of my hair has come out in handfuls.

My GP says it will grow back but could take a couple of months or longer.  Telogen Effluvium it's called not alopecia as some internet sites report.  They are different.

I'm stll losing hair at this time hoping it will stop soon.  Hope this helps with your decision.

I have to say we are all unique and it's trial & error to find something that doesn't make you worse than your complaint.  Best discuss with GP to find a good solution for your issue.  They are a few alternatives to warfarin.

Wish you well

Christine

• Posted

Hi saz0573

I changed from warfarin to fragminin the beginning terrible side effects.  I was on fragmin injections for 6months. The only symptoms I noticed were hot feet & head periodically a little fatigue but was more tolerable than warfarin.  

The issue I have is that I suffered hair loss after ceasing fragmin.  But we are all different & I'm afraid it's a bit trial & error.  

Ask your Consultant for some advice or do a trial of fragmin.  You will notice quickly if there are problems with it.  

Hope this helps.

Regards

Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.