can flucloxacillin be causing sore throat??

Posted , 1 user is following.

On 26th September I had a laparascopic gallbladder removal. On 4th October I went to have my stitches removed but the incision by my belly button is extremely sore and nurse said this was infected, gave me flucloxacillin 250mg x 2 tablets 4 times per day. Last night,  after 2 full days of antibiotics I felt my throat was quite sore and on waking today it is extremely sore. Could this be caused by the flucloxacillin?? I am having stitches removed this evening regardless of whether infection is cleared up which I am concerned about as belly button still very sore too. Please help!  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Laura

have you looked inside your mouth , the same thing happenend to me and it turned out i had thrush in my mouth, usually i do get the normal reaction and end up with Canestan every time i take anti biotics but this was the first time i got it in my mouth

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding so quickly! My first time posting on the site smile I used to get vaginal thrush when using antibiotics for cystitis in my teens. Throughout my twenties (27 now) I have had tonsillitis and penicillin each time but thankfully never got thrush. This is my first time on flucloxacillin, doesn't look like thrush in my mouth but I am coughing up mucus and can here my chest wheezing when I breathe. Feel like a walking disaster at the moment!!!
    • Posted

oh maybe not that then, I just remembered that happening to me on those tablets.

I had history of tonsillitis too since I was small, had em out when I was 31!

• Posted

Oh gosh, you poor thing! I've not had tonsillitis for a.couple of years now (touch wood!!) But absolutely horrible illness!! I've looked again and have some lump things right on the back of my tongue, maybe that could be thrush after all...will be going to walk in centre to get stitches out when hubby is back from work so will ask them too and let you know! One thing after another Grrrr! 
  • Posted

Yep that sounds like it is thrush hun, good luck later. They gave me some drops to put on tongue for mine worked a treat x
    • Posted

Well the nurse said it's not thrush and must be coincidence of a cold coming!! Plenty of rest and vitamin C and I'll be "right as rain"!! Great xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.