dizziness, headaches, vision problems - help!

Posted , 59 users are following.

This is my first post, I've never used a website like this before, I really feel like I need some help and advice. I have read a few discussions on here but would really like some feedback of my own.

For the past 8 months I have been suffering from dizziness, slow going at first and was manageable, but I am worried that it was a warning sign as things are getting worse.

When it first started I would get random dizzy attacks when moving my head (feel like the room around me was spinning or I was still moving when I wasnt) I went to the doctors and he explained it could be from my operation and my body getting over the anaesthetic, just a keyhole op to take appendix out. He recommended I wait and if it didn't improve within a month then to go back. I returned a month later as the symptoms hadn't improved and was put on some antibiotics to "relieve" the symptoms. When this didn't work I again returned only to be given a higher dose of them for a further month . I was then told to wait yet another month without them in the hope it would relieve the dizziness completely.

Then it started to get worse. My vision has changed and not become as clear almost a bit cloudy and I see flashing lights sometimes, I have had my eyes tested and even been to the hospital for a detailed eye examination -nothing. Then around 4 weeks ago I began getting migraines with aura and have had one a week since it started and the dizziness has become constant. I notice it really bad when I am still and concentrating and it feels as if everything around me is moving and also when I move then stand still a wave of dizziness comes over me and completely throws me off balance almost as if the ground is moving , I never fall but always feel like I am going to. I returned to the doctors last and have now been asked to get blood tests which are in 2 weeks ad have been referred to a neurologist which I have been told can take up to 8 weeks.

This week it has been extremely bad and has reduced me to tears a number of times as it really frightens me. I have had a constant headache sort of behind my eyes which feels dull and almost like there is pressure in my head, for the past 3 days and painkillers aren't helping. Every time I walk, move, or even am still the dizziness appears. It is affecting my work as I am unable to be at my computer a long time due to my vision. I was told to go back to the doctors should things get worse and plan to go tomorrow evening to out of hours. I really don't think that I can wait 8 weeks for a date to see the neurologist and feel it needs to be done sooner. I have been reading about my symptoms and have no clear steer on the possibility but I am really worried at the possibility of a brain tumor as a family member passed away of this last year.

I think it's important to note that I am 21, and generally eat well and exercise regularly (not as much as of late due to severe dizziness) At the end of last year I suffered from panic attacks, costochondritus and anxiety following the loss of a close family member. Once I went back to work January this year things improved hugely on that front. I understand that anxiety is often linked to dizziness but I am struggling to believe this has stemmed from that. I now only suffer anxiety of fear of these feelings returning.

If anyone could please shed some light on what they think this could be or if anyone is going through similar I would be so grateful.

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have been suffered from the same thing its like reading my own story, all my tests came normal my doc gave me some medicines which never worked for me and like you they gave me appointment with neuro and the date is 2nd of feb 2015 lol but i didn't wanted to live like this and wait for months to get apointment so i went to private neuro and enr doctors they also said its normal you don't have any problem but my diziness wasn't going i was dying but then i went to chiropractor he said left side of back and my neck are like bend due to sit wrong he did massage and other day i was 80% better after that day i could able to go college, work and chill i would suggest you to try that and don't lose hope.
  • Posted

Thank you for the message it is somehow a relief to know I am not the only one. That is a really long wait for neuro I may have to go down the private route if nothing else works it is just so expensive sad

Was you also getting the headache and change in vision? Could this also be due to the bend in spine and neck? My posture when at work and seated all day is by no means great but something that didn't cross my mind.

• Posted

the last month i can't even explain how i suffered really i went like 6 times to emergency i was blank out i was passing out but never passed out and never fall, yes i had pressure on eyes and if i was moving them fast i was getting more dizzy, pressure on my neck, shoulder, ears, sometimes my left leg gets tingling, numbness, when i woke up i was dizzy i thought it will never gone that was making me really scare.
    • Posted

Hello...I have the same symtoms right now and the Dr.'s are haven't figured it out yet.  Did you find out what was wrong yet? 

• Posted

I have had so many of thoes symptoms myself and have been to many doctors and have had tests MRI scans,blood tests,you name it,but really it seems to have a lot to do with anxiety,although the dizzy spells seem to come from nowhere .It is the most horrible condition to suffer with.I have had almost two years of feeling dreadful,but somehow for the last month,the dizzy spells and all the other feelings that you describe seem to have subsided.To be honest The doctors don't have an answer to all this.It seems to me to be trial and error,and NONE of the pills that were prescribed for me had any effect.I have to say that it has stopped me from going so much as zi get scared might pass out when I am alone,which is most of the time,but I never do.It is a vicious circle,but as I am generally anxious and get panic attacks ,I think it really does trigger the dizzyness sorry not to be more helpful,but you are not alone in feeling this way.i am much older than you,and this seems to be such a common condition for all ages.
  • Posted

Hi there, first let me say that anxiety can play such a huge role in your overall health much more than you think. 2 years ago my dad passed away, it was rather sudden and up until then I had never had a close family member die, I thought I was fine. About 3 weeks afterwards my daughter and I were baking cookies and suddenly the smell nauseated me. Long story short. I lost 10 lbs. couldn't swallow, had severe upper abdominal pain, severe enough that it brought me to tears, I always felt something in the back of my throat. I could only drink water. Anything else I felt like I would choke. I had every test imaginable. Aside from bile reflux I was considered healthy. Once I started to really look at the big picture I realized it was anxiety and stress. Losing my dad had affected me a lot more than I thought. And even though I thought I was ok, I wasnt. Once I was able to come to terms with it I noticed all my symptoms slowly going away. Don't underestimate what your brain can do to your body. As far as your symptoms, it seems you have a hodge pudge of things. Nothing seems to correlate with the others. A ct scan of the head would quickly rule out anything or  if you're  like me and want to limit your radiation exposure you can have an MRI with contrast. Either one of these tests would be able to see if there was anything serious going on. I hope you feel better and get some answers soon. Please try not to worry it only makes you feel worse.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. It is stressful and I guess until I have the serious conditions ruled out there is that constant worry and I understand that it makes it worse. I really am hoping to get to the bottom of it and am going to try to push this to happen sooner. My doctor knows everything I have been through and knows that I  am prone to anxiety so I am hoping this will help to speed things up ( if there is anything he can do). If I go to a neurologist would they be able to carry out a ct/ mri scan?  I wondered if I need to be seeing someone else for this. In the meantime is there anything people take to calm anxiety and worry? I have been told by my doctor to come off all my medication but I think I could do with some kind of calming remedy. Has anyone else also had this persistent pressure headache thqt affects there vision? The new presence of this is what is now worrying me more than ever. 
    • Posted

Yes a neurologist can order a ct or MRI. As far as a calming remedy have you tried meditation? a relaxation massage at a spa might help too. what you DONT want to do is research all your symptoms online. Bad, bad idea that will make your anxiety a lot worse. maybe you could ask your dr. If there is any way to speed things up. Explain to him/her how stressful it is. Hang in there, and think positive.
  • Posted

Please ensure your GP also refers you for an MRI to eliminate any physical cause.  It will put your mind at rest whilst you explore other options.

• Posted

Hello

The only difference between me and you is that you are half my age, I haven't had any kind of operation and I haven't had costochondritus. Everything else you've described is exactly the same as me.

Panic attacks and anxiety does cause dizziness and dizziness does cause panic attacks and anxiety so round and round we go. I've learned that if I keep the anxiety at bay, I'm not so light headed.

Like you, I have suffered a close family berheavement, I think there is a definite link ! Have a word with your GP and see what they think.

Good luck with the ENT and take care in the mean time.

• Posted

Once again thanks for the replies

I went to the out of hours gp today as the headache just wasn't improving (day 4). Was given some sumatriptan as this gp was convinced it's all just a link to a migraine but he couldn't do much in the way of proving otherwise. Giving the tablets a go but not much improvement so far, both the headache and dizziness still there so I am not convinced this is the problem. Will ppersevere and finish the course.

Will still be going to my normal gp and will ask for an mri to put mind at rest and to hopefully speed this whole process up.

Thanks for the all of the advice on here and to anyone else suffering I wish you well, it is such a tough thing to deal with!

• Posted

Hi fairlove1,

when I was reading your post, I was just shaking me head yes to everything you were saying. It was like I was posting it myself. I have all of those symptoms and the first thing I noticed when this first hit me, was ringing in both ears and my vision changed in my left eye immediately. Its blurry and sometimes I have double vision in it.  I too have the spots and headaches everyday. I have been to the ENT, Neurologist, eye doctors, Emergency room, you name it I saw that Dr. too. I still have no answers and it has been exactly 1 year for me this month. MRI showed nothing. I can't move my head without getting dizzy and my eye won't focus and it makes me dizzier and I have tons of anxiety because of it. I am depressed top. It's miserable when you can't get any answers. there are days I don't want to live like this anymore and then I will have a so called "decent" day," but not a good day.  The next few days will be horrific again. I notice that it has something to do with my vision. I have to wear a contact in my left eye now but sometimes I think it makes me dizzier. Who knows. Hang in there, we are all with you...I'm no doctor, but I feel sure you don't need to worry about a tumor or anything.. I thought the same thing and sometimes still do but the test show nothing.  I'm sorry you feel like I do, it's not fun at all....Keep in touch,we will be waiting on your tests.  Take care.....

• Posted

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for your message. It is so frustrating and worrying, like a vicious circle of anxiety to dizziness. This week I have felt better but by no means well, I am still getting headaches but they tend to come later in the day but I don't wake up with them and the dizziness is still therenjoy (no change). if I take a long walk I feel so nervous I am going to fall down when this dizziness begins that it brings out my anxiety again. I had my eyes re tested by orders of the doctor and my prescription is extremely different to what it was in June of this year, so this has probably had a part to play in the headaches due to wearing glasses with the wrong prescription in! Picked the new ones up today so fingers crossed on that side. Unfortunately I hadon't to stop taking sumatriptan as I was suffering with side effects. I have informed the gp surgery and am hoping that this will speed up the neuro app.

It is so stressful so thanks for your kind words. I am sorry that you have been suffering for so long now, is there nothing else they can do for you? I will let you know if I am suggested anything that you havent tried, I am determined not to leave the neuro without a solution or at the very least some kind of answer. I think my anxiety will cool down once serious conditions are (hopefully) ruled out. Best of luck to you

Thanks again smile

• Posted

Hello, I wanted to kinda update my status for some of you out there suffering like me. I am still suffering some with the dizziness and vision symptoms when I walk into a store to shop, probably the looking around or side to side. I will say that I am feeling somewhat better with the dizziness being all day, that has seemed to of gotten better, it's not so constant like it was. All I can say is that I went to see a Dr in Georgia, who happens to be my nephew. He got tired of me seeing all these doctors that can't tell me anything so I flew to get his help. He is very knowlegeable with health issues. Basically, what he did for me is a thing called brain mapping, Look it up on google. It is a machine that calms or wakes your brain up, whichever one you need. In my case, my brain was basically, non functioning but full of anxiety, if that makes sense.  I have done 6 months therapy with him and I am seeing fantastic result now. like I said, not dizzy all day, just sometimes now. I will take that!! Also, the other key thing he suggested and I have seen results now is to try to cut out the gluten in my diet. Google that and you will be surprised at all the symptoms that causes. I am a firm believer in it now because when i slip up and eat something that I know has gluten in it, I tend to get dizzy all day again. Strange but there is some truth to it. I'm not sure if its all that but I have to say, "what a difference" in how I feel each day now. I actually go home and cook dinner without wanting to throw up from the dizziness. The brain mapping treatments I am doing has been wonderful. My anxiety and panic attacks are subsiding!!!!! My vision loss I had in my left eye is somewhat better, not perfect yet.  I do still have the ringing in my ears but dr said its because the left side of my brain doesn't want to wake up. My right side is alive again. Just want to give ya'l some kind of update that seems to be helping me out some. Like I said, google brain mapping and gluten and just see what you think, if your symptoms are there. Hope this helps. Good Luck to you all and I will let you know if I continute to improve.
  • Posted

Hello, i hop you be better now. And would like to ask you, how are you feeling now. Are you stell have the same problems or not, if not , what did undo tilo get read of it? And if u want u can text me at 2702263355 any time

Best wishes

Hamdan alshamrani

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.