Increased dosage to 40mg

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi

I have spoken to my GP tonight after experiencing anxiety and a general flat feeling. I have been taking 20mg of Fluoxetine since the middle of June. For 4 weeks I suffered awful side effects but persevered and felt better and better each day. However I have continued to feel flat, and slightly disengaged, drained and tired particularly around my time of the month! The doctor told me to up the dose to 40mg which I have done today. She told me to take the 40mg at the usual time of day and said that I wouldn't suffer the side effects again as my body is now used to the Fluoxetine.

Has anyone else upped their dosage and had a positive outcome without suffering side effects?

Thanks

Sally

4 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sally,

my gp told me to increase mine but I haven't done it yet as scared of more anxiety but I think I will have to like you do it.

Linda xx

• Posted

Yes I went up tp 40mg after not feeling any better with 20mg. I had horendous side effects when I first started taking fluoxetine but that settled down and did not get any side effects when I upped the dose.

I have stayed on 40mg and feel fine.

I would probably feel fantastic but I have other health issues sad

Hope this helps

• Posted

It is very helpful, thank you! How long did it take before you felt better on 40mg? How long have you been on 40mg?

Thanks

• Posted

I wad on 20mg for 8 weeks then went up to 40. Started to gradially feel bettet but please give ureself at least 12 weeks and then it gradually gets much better. Its worth the wa it when u come out of the depression.  Also I was advised to try to relax and not keep getting anxious when it isnt working.

Easier said tgan done but I would also give that advise.

Good luck and take each day as it comes. Things will start to Improve.

First u get moments then it leads to minutes and then gets better little by little.

You will prob also have the odd bad days but so does everyone.in the real world .

All the best smile xx

• Posted

Hi qsqs

Yours is a very inspiring post for me! It makes such good reading - encouraging and hopeful.. Thanks so very much for posting this!! You really have given me hope.

• Posted

Does it take 12week ? I'm on week 5 and its not help much with my constant anxiety and foggy head 
    • Posted

How long did it take to feel any better after increasing dose to 40mg , I've increased to 40mg for nearly 2 weeks and feel very anxious 

• Posted

Hi, I've been on 20mg for over 3 years now. Just gone Upto 40mg I have been told it will take upto 4 weeks before I see a improvement 

• Posted

Just wanted to see if you have had any improvement? I've been on 10mg for a year and I feel like 75% better. Just wondering if 20mg would work better?

• Posted

Any update? I have recently hit a low depression after 2 years on 10mg and am upping the dose. Are you feeling better?
    • Posted

I've taken 10 mg for 9 weeks and just going up to 20 mg this week. I am extra sensitive to caffeine and sugar, but other than that if I keep that at bay, I don't feel terrible with the increase. I am hopeful for this increase... 

• Posted

Yeah I hadn't thought about sugar but I'm going to pay attention now. I def don't drink caffeine when my depression and anxiety is bad. May I ask what your taking it for?

• Posted

Hi Sally,

I am just back from gp she has asked me to increase to 40 mg she said other people have been resistant to do this but now feel much better 

So I am going to give it a try. Hopefully it will work for both of us

Linda xx

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I'm about to up mine to 40mg and I'm super nervous about it. This made feel better readying this.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I'm just curious to see how you're doing now and if you're still on the medication?

• Posted

Hi I stumbled across this site I been on 20mg for 5 weeks and still got awfully side effects no appetite so doc doubled dozage today just wondered how you were doing x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.