Swelling after hydrocelectomy

Posted , 86 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience I have had following a hydrocelectomy.  I am now 10 weeks post op and still have some swelling (egg size) I saw my doc about 5 weeks after surgery and he didnt seem concerned and doesnt want to see me again till December. I have read it can take 3-6 months for all swelling to subside but I was just curiouse if anyone has had the same problem as me as I am still kind of nervous. 

4 likes, 295 replies

295 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey, you replied to my other post. I think my surgery was about 10 weeks ago as well now, (it was either on the 4th or thr 6th of august. Its abit of bullsh*t really. if id have known it would be bigger after sugery I wouldnt have had it done. Mines still bog, swelling i think this is though and the stitichg (where it had been stitched is still visible, like the last stitch had failed to close. Luckily i am going to the doctors tomorrow and so I will let you know what they say, as we sound like were in similar postions i will let you know if they say it is normal.
    • Posted

Yeah I had my surgery on August 7th and like you I was unaware that my testicle would still be swollen 10 weeks later or maybe even up to 6 months from what I have read. Im curious to what your doc says I dont see mine until December and im quite nervous as its still the same size and as heavy as before the surgery and my doc didn't really sooth my worries. My incision healed pretty good(I did get an ssi infection and was given cypro  on week 2)except for some bumps from where the skin was stitched together and a tiny hole(pin head sized). Thanks for the reply any info you get from your doc that you can pass along would be great this whole thing has been giving me quite a bit of anxiety.
    • Posted

Right. Sorry about the late reply. I was in and out on less than 5 minutes, the doc just said it takes time, he said looks all normal but time will heal it. Thats all he had to say. I hope that settles your anexity. Good luck and stay in touch with me as were in the same position. Good luck
    • Posted

No worries thank you for the info it does ease my anxiety some I guess it will never totaly cease until the swelling is finally gone. Like I said before I wish my doc made me aware that the healing process would be so damn slow BEFORE the surgery. I will keep in touch over the next few months to let you know how my progress is hopefully its a sooner than later thing thanks again for the info and good luck to you as well.
    • Posted

Hey, so i just checked it out in the shower and it seems an actual spot has developed near where the incision took place. Yes, a spot on my ballsack. Of course, i am going straight to the doctors tomorrow to have it checked out. Im really fed up of this BS, mine wasnt even that big and now I wish i would have just not had it done, will let you know what the doc says, and if its common or not. Also I think, if it were to make you feel more comfortable, i would be able to provide a picture of the shape and size of my teste, after consideration. 
    • Posted

A spot? Like on the skin? My incision is pretty much healed up but a scar is still pretty noticible, its still the size of a large egg and ive noticed it gets really hard from time to time and other times its softer. I agree my  hydrocele wasnt even that big to begin with but when I was 13 I had torsion that was miss diagnosed by the dr and I had to have my right one removed. I had a fake one put in but it is on the smaller side and having the hydrocele made it that much more noticeable so I had the surgery done thinking great it will go back to its normal size. It hasnt and im afraid now that it never will its been almost 3 friggin months, again I wish the urologist had told me this before hand. Let me know what the doc says when you get a chance im curious to what he has to say and thanks for the update.
    • Posted

how you felt after 6 months after surgery(about size) and now what is your age

please reply I had hydrocelectomy just 2 weeks ago

• Posted

Yes I have the same experience.  I am now 4 plus weeks since the operation, and the length of the right testicle is about 5 cm (2 inches).  About the size of a small lime or goose egg.  I saw the urologist last week and he said it is quite OK, and that it could take 6 months to come back to close to the original size.  He said you will always have some larger parts than before because of the formation of scar tissue, where the testicle covering was looped back behind the testicle and stitched together so it wont accumulate fluid again.  He also said the testicle will never be as free floating as it was before because of with intertwining of the various internal parts of the scrotum that are affected  by the operation.  I would be interested in a couple of months what has happened, and at the 6 month stage, when all is suppose to be to normal. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply I wish my doc had let me know all this before the procedure was done so that I wouldnt be freaking out so much about it. Even at the 5 week follow up visit it was "looks good see you in a few months" even though I made him aware I was quite nervous about the existing swelling(looks the same as before the procedure). Ill try to update this site with my progress every few weeks maybe it will help some people with the type of anxiety I have had (maybe unwarranted anxiety). As of right now(10 weeks) I have no pain and  its still the size of an egg, it gets hard at some points during the day and softer at others (times vary). If you have any questions about progress feel free to ask and I will gladly reply, thanks again.
  • Posted

Figured I would post an update, its been about 3 months since surgery and my testicle is still swollen but there is no pain. Talked to doc today he said swelling should have  subsided by now and if it hasn't gone down in the next few weeks to call him to get an ultrasound done before my next visit to see him which is on Dec. 3rd. This has pretty much consumed my life the past few months I was told it was a simple procedure and would only take a few weeks of recovery, 3 months later im in the same spot I was before the surgery only with a hefty deductible I have to pay and even less self confidence. Not sure if its related but I have been sick since the onset of this I am so friggin tired, have brain fog, thirsty snd hungry as all hell and depressed out of my mind I just want my testicle back to normal size so no longer have to worry about it.
    • Posted

Hey, i forgot to reply to your last message, i seen my doc and he said the spot was, well not normal, but common, and so he gave me some tablets that i had to take 4 times a day and wow it was gone the next day,i also forgot about taking them most of the day so im suprised they worked. The tablets i actually did take seem to have had an impact on the swelling and the stitching, i feel like it is getting slowly smaller and the stitching  is healing up. Im 17, right about now i feel how you feel, depressed etc, but im not sure whehter its to do with the hydrocele problem, ive just lost my work ethic for college, i literally do not care anymore, but im not sure what has brought this on, though i consider the operation post problems to be a contributing factor. In terms of self confidence, im similar in self confidence. I just got a new girlfreind and weve been messing about etc, i havent and am pretty scared to get my testicles out, ive managed to find ways around this problem if you know what i mean, but self confidecne is an issue at the minute but ive managed to find ways around it. I will add updates every 2 weeks on whether i feel the size is going down and if that i am returning to normal. Thanks for your update too. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply i am curious too if my depression and lack of just giving a crap has anything to do with the outcome of the operation. I have been REALLY depressed i have my mind set on the fact my nut will forever be the size of an egg and i will be alone for the rest of my life because woman will think im a freak(i just got divioced in April). I was told it was a straight forward procedure with a few weeks recovery time and my Dr. is just "well lets see what happens over time" well its been 3 friggin months how much more time is needed? Now he wants another ultrasound(if nothing is wrong why do i need an ultrasound) which costs more money etc.. In any event it sounds like your swelling could be going down so maybe it is just time that is needed and im just freaking myself out about the whole thing making myself depressed and unable to focus on other things. I too will post over the next several weeks maybe both of us will have better things to report, thank you for the reply and i wouldnt worry about what your girlfriend thinks if she freaks out(i doubt she will) then she isnt worth the time.
    • Posted

Its been about 2 weeks so I thought I would give an update, had an untrasound yesterday waiting for doc to call no change in size its still as big as an egg im not happy at this point. Hopefully it just needs more to to heal I cant afford another operation but I also I cant live like this for the rest of my damn life.
    • Posted

Hey, so its been about 3 and half months since my operation, ive heard it should take up to 6 months max to heal, mines still twice as big as my ohter, and in the last two weeks i havent noticed it go down a huge amount, if at all. It would be good if you could let me know the result of what your doctor says about the ultrasound. I feel like its my responsibilty to make sure you dont like try to end your life or something. I know it sucks and if i knew i wouldnt have got it done either, i will update at the end of the month on progress but yeah mines still pretty big too, but what with university/college next year, family problems etc. I just dont have that much concern for it at the minute, if its stilll huge by the start of febuary then i will be concerned and annoyed, but im trying to just let time take its tolll on my ball haha. Ive also gained a littel more confidence as my girlfreind hasnt really noticed or said anything. But i have 3rd degree burns on my chest that ive has since i was 3, and ive lived with that, and my burns compared to my swollen testicle really arnt that big of a deal, i would just try and think about that it could be worse for you and it will get better in time, i hope that helps you, stay in touch with progress. 
    • Posted

Just heard back from the Dr. he said my ultrasound looks "normal" even though i told him its the size of a large egg and very hard to the touch. He told me he doesnt really have an answer for me at this point and when I see him in 2 weeks he will be able to tell me more because he will physically be able to see it (he didnt want me to email him  my testicle selfie lol). I told him god forbid I should need another surgery (obviously he doesn't want to have to do another if possible) I will need to have it done by the end of December as thats when my deductible resets. Hopefully its just swelling that will go down over time at least I know its not something "major" but it still concerns me that he cant tell me why its still so swollen and hard. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will have more of a definitive answer and surgery wont be necessary 1surgery  is 1 too many on my nut.
    • Posted

I appreciate the concern but I have 3 little ones to think about so taking the easy way out really isn't an option. The timing of all this just sucks I recently got divorced and the ex has already had 3 boyfriends (not gonna get into all that) and this has kind kept me on the sidelines of moving on and trying to find another woman. I am going to try not to think about it but I have a tendancy to dwell on things like I said hopefully jusy swelling that will dissipate over time as doc said he didn't see any thing abnormal on the ultrasound other than a "little" fluid but not enough to make the swelling as bad as it is.
    • Posted

Saw doc today he said I need another operation as some fluid came back (fml) I am having it on the 23rd. Hopefully this will finally fix the problem as I'm sick of dealing with this issue, wont be able to go to the gym for a month which sucks but I cant live with a testicle as large as an egg(and heavy).
    • Posted

Hey, so it would have been 4 and half months since my operation, it can take UP TOO 6 months for it to reduce fully. Mines still pretty big. It sucks that you have to have another operation, im going to book an appointment with my doc and see what he says, im guessing i will need another operation. Wish i had never had the damn thing. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    • Posted

I would definitely check with your doc maybe have a follow up ultrasound as my doc said swelling should definitely have gone fown after about 2-3 months and my follow up ultrasound showed some fluid build up. He said he was going to do a  slightly different procedure this time around I hope it finally eliminates the issue and my testicle goes back to its normal (as close as possible) size and weight it's scheduled for the 23rd of this month, good luck to you as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.