pizotifen weight gain and increased appetite

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I started on this medication almost a month ago now I have already noticed I have put on an extra 3kg has anyone else had weight gain or increased appetite while on this medication? What can I do so I can stop gaining weight. I'm not overweight but this is the heaviest I have ever been and it's depressing haha :-( thanks guys.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Same with me, gaining around 3lb a week ever since started this. Also heaviest ever been but was skinny to start with anyway, though im sure when i stop it will dissappear. Probably little you can do to totally stop the weight gain after all in a side effect but I usually eat something like rice to stop me from being starving agin within an hour!
    • Posted

Yeah I have put on about 5kg since starting it. I was supposed to go back to the doctors last week as he wants to up my dose but haven't been able to get there. Everytime I eat I'm hungry again in an hour so I might try the rice as well as start exercising at my near hill to stop the weight gain.
  • Posted

Is not a nice side effect tho is i. I am seriously going to ask my kids onsultants about an altenative as m 11 year old keeps asking me if he is fat - thats not healthy :-(
    • Posted

Is your 11 yr old on it? Yeah my doctor wants to up my dose and I am scared it might make me gain more weight. I'm gonna give the rice thing ago as someone else suggested it :-)
  • Posted

The medication itself does not make you put on weight- it simply increases your appetite. If you eat everytime you feel hungry you will likely put on weight but if you just eat what you did before starting the meds you should not have a problem (this is what the neurologist told me). The fact that the meds make you feel so tired increases the risk of you not exercising which again increases the likelyhood of gaining weight- hence why its considered a side effect. I have been on it for a year and have actually lost weight. I take multi viatmins to combat my tiredness and just eat a healthy breakfast lunch and dinner.  My headaches have completely disappeared which is amazing to me as I had a headache everyday of my life! I seriously LOVE this drug. I eat organic brown rice with a fried egg every morning for breakfast and that keeps me full till lunch. I also have a few veg shakes during the day if im hungry.
    • Posted

Yeah I know it's not the tablet that makes you gain weight. It's just all I want to do it eat and I never used to really eat much at all but I'll probably take the vitamins too as well as start exercising at a big hill behind me and start eating rice as it is more fulling
  • Posted

Rhiannon, both my 11 yr old and my 14 yr old take pizotifen for migraine.

Its very difficult with children when they feel hungry and dont always want to eat say fruit or a healthy equivalent. I will be asking both kids consultants for an alternatve.  They are both active kids but I have definitely seen a change in their body shapes which isnt good (specially in school). I hope you get on ok with it or find a suitable alternative if not :-)

• Posted

Thanks. Yeah these seem to be working and I'm also on other tablets for migraines too but once I get to the doctors and he ups my dose again hopefully it will be less frequent. So sad that kids have to go through the pain. I remember it as a child and only just got on too with me now :-) hope their migraines go away with the help of those tablets.
  • Posted

Think there is an element of slowed metabolism or something, its not all just increased appetite as i dont really eat any more than i did before started taking it, having always been skinny before and could eat loads and loads and have never gained any weight at all suddenly out of nowhere since starting piz gained 1.5 stones and still gaining. Not a prob for me cosgone from skinny to normal i guess! but the answer is probably eat healthy exercise more, or stop taking and find alternative but you will probably still gain some weight. And in any case the alternatives have worse side effect profiles (propranolol, tricyclic anti depressants etc) pizotifen is at least fairly tame
    • Posted

I'm gonna try to stick with it as it seems to be helping. But will defiantly be changing my food options to something more fulling. I don't eat much but I have noticed I am eating more then I used to so like an after I'm eating I'm hungry again which I hate haha but I try to find something small to eat but will be starting to exercise once I find shoes that will fit haha :-) 
  • Posted

I'm glad the tablets are at least helping you. my daughter has spent the last 3 days taking Sumatriptan as well as she's still been getting migraine. Hard isnt it. She also has stomach migraine which is quite common isnt it. Just spoke to the GP and am having her referred to a different hospital which may help :-)
    • Posted

I'm also on Sumatriptan but it's sucks as they only come with 4 tablets in a box tho I have repeats. I also have stomach problems and a bleeding disorder. My doctor is monitoring me every couple off weeks to see how it goes. I still get the migraine often but it doesn't last as long anymore thank gosh as when I did get them they would last up to 3 days or more. Hope the migraines will go away for your daughter with the help off the medical team :-)
  • Posted

Yes, I cant understand y theres so few tablets in the Sumatriptan boxes - she gets  but its still not many. Sounds like you've had a hard time s would be good if the piotifen sors it out completely for you. Thanks, am hoping a new Dr might be what sh needs:-)
    • Posted

Its because they want to limit triptan use. You shouldnt use it more than once or twice a week or you can run into rebound symptoms and actually have worse / more frequent migraines than you did to begin with. Triptans are very effective at stopping migraines but also one of the worst for rebound / overuse. If you are taking lots of triptans and getting migraines all the time, it may actually be the medication making it worse.
    • Posted

Ahh I see, thanks - thats good to know. That wasnt explained to me so am glad I now know . She doesnt usually take them too often, this has been a bad week so am glad she's due to be seen soon.
    • Posted

Yeah I also take it but only take it if it is really really bad. So maybe 2 times a week as I don't get many in a the box and don't want to use it all and keep paying for me but it help for me. Thank gosh :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.