Pain relief for Fibromyalgia Syndrome

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've suffered with Fibromyalgia for almost 3 years now and havent found a constant pain relief, they'll either work for a short time then stop working or wont work at all. 

I have recently been put on Tramadol and an anti depressant with pain relief in it. I cant work on the Tramadol as i feel so drowsy but then i cant sleep at night etc.

Can anybody recommend a good pain relief that wont leave me feeling poorly? I have a tenz machine. I'm 19 years old.

Thankyou

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If I am really sore I take two tramadol before I go to bed but they keep me wide awake all night but do relax my muscles etc. I try not to take them because of the lack of sleep as I work full time and need my sleep at night. Co codomol is good for helping me to sleep but doesn't do anything for pain.

aabb

• Posted

try rubbing on magneisum oil , and taking some supplements plant based magneisum as a internal supplement as well is good but not if you have a sensistive stomach . rubbing it on is fine but if you can take it in a tablet fom as well would work quicker.

some people find a warm bath with epsom salts eases the pain , i dont take any meds just supplements ,and hot and cold patches . you can buy a natraul pain patch its been advertised on tv . its called the bellodonna pain patch .if you put a search in should come up .iv got one but havnt got round to using it yet.

have you tried some natraul sleeping tablets like calms . i have found they work well without sonking you out compleatly .

hope iv been a able to help a little .

• Posted

Skip the drugs for the pain. You're too young. Get massages, acupuncture, etc. Fibro people seem inherently anxious so controlling your anxiety is important. Believe me, its NOT easy to admit it affects you that much. 

I use herbs & homeopathic meds, teas & watch what I eat. Sugar is an enemy to my fibro. One beer and even with meds I wake up from a dead sleep crying. (Alcohol, white rice, potatoes turn to bad kind if sugar in your body).

If you start a search with "natural ways to treat" and then add whatever symptoms you feel are causing the most issues, you will find something that works for you.

No one can give you a magic answer unfortunately. Time, money, willingness & ability to stuck to natural treatments long term should factor into your decisions.

You are totally welcome to private message me if you need help or have questions about any of this. It's a ROUGH deal. I'm a 42 year old woman & struggle still. I can't imagine navigating it at your age. I have the time, experience, patience and willingness to help you as much as you want...if you are serious about it all.

There is a dedication involved to healing, not just taking a pill.

Understand, I was on narcotic type meds for a decade (spinal problems) and they WILL destroy you.

• Posted

I am a 47 yr old female and have 

some questions for you regarding what types of herbs or homeopathic meds that you find help most with your fibromyalgia.

• Posted

Hi Ruby, I've had Fibro since I was at least 14 (now 36).  I didn't know I had it so didn't take any meds, just lived with the pain. Mum said I had a bad back like her so I went to Osteopaths - unfortunately after a lot of years seeing them it doesn't work for our painsad.  My belief is it won't go away if you don't change.  I'm not sure unfortunately what you should change, if it's diet, lifestyle, stop everything and rest?  I know trying to ignore it doesn't work. 

I have always used microwave heat packs for when the pain is so high I am bouncing off the walls emotionally.  Magnetic back supports and magnetic wrist bands have helped me too.

It is the case of keep trying cos different things help different people. Good Luckx

• Posted

I believe Pregabalin is used for fibro pain sometimes.   Tramadol is great for pain relief but not without side effects, as you have found out.

I prefer co-codamol; it isn't quite as good a pain killer but the side effects are more tolerable for me. 

• Posted

Can't say I recommend any drugs. BUT, sounds like you need Lyrica or Neurontin. Not pain meds, they only do so much. 

Take care of yourself and look up natural ways to treat whatever symptoms you are having. Take an antioxidant & make sure youre getting your nutrientd. That is the best way.

• Posted

Hello Ruby,

Oh that makes me so sad that you are only 19 and will have to suffer pain for the rest of your life. I am 58 and do not relish being in pain for the rest of my life!  As for pai n relief I don't think there is any that will not leave you dealing with horrible side effects. I have found that Amitriptyleene does help with the sleep, and to some extent with the pain. Truthfully I don't think anything really helps with the pain. Just have to go with bearable x

• Posted

Hi..I am on Oramorph and Paracetamol as when I am relaxed at night, I ache more and I don't sleep much either.I do take it during the day sometimes especially after exercise.
    • Posted

When I suffer a harsh situation, commonly known as a crappy day....Anxiety's fight or flight mode sets in without me even knowing about it till it is too late. Apparently its common to not know how stressed you are.

That night its the same thing. Nerves hate relaxing and fight it all night long. Only thing I've tried that helps a little are Valerian root and chamomile. I can spend 4 hours before bed on every way in the book to calm my body/mind down & nothing REALLY helps that I have found.

I've researched how to recognize when I'm stressed and some more intense herbs to help as well. I noticed that I stop enjoying music, am easily distracted & get thirsty before the bomb hits. We often don't respond immediately because our stress reserves are exhausted. Some call it adrenal fatigue.

• Posted

I am on hydrocodone/apap, gabapentin and diazapam and have some pretty good now but I had to quit work because of the intensity of the pain, stress and was getting written up for things   That had never happened in 42 years. I have had this 4 1/2 years now. None of the antidepressants either I was to sensitive and side effects. Then others just didn't work! I hope you find something that works. What about Cymbalta or lyrica? 
  • Posted

hi there

i have only been diagnoised with fibro for a few months.  i currently take gabapentine, amtrptyline, and tramodol.  i take the highest dose of gabapentine which is 900mg three times a day can take up to 8 tramodol in a 24 hour period and the amatriptyline at night so you ca imagin i walk around like a zombie. i am always tired even when i get up in the morning i feel like i have not been to bed and need to go back but dont.  i have been seen a t Pain cinic and i am waiting for them to contact my gp to change my meds, ot sure what they are going to put me on but i hope the side effects are not to bad. i am going to ask my GP to re prescribe my Oramorph with something to take away the side effects ie feeling sick. i guess it is a case of trial and error for us all.  hope you find something that works for you, Gabapentine worked for a while but i havebecome immune to it.

sorry for the spelling mistakes if ther are any as i am sooooo tired.

janet

• Posted

I don't normally suggest meds, and long term its not a good idea, but you may benefit from Cymbalta and/or oxycodone. Cymbalta dulls the brains pain response and oxy is for pain, but as a side effect depresses the nervous system & does help with fibro.
    • Posted

I had the extreme tiredness and fatigue on gabapentin. I also had severe short term memory loss. If you haven't had it before the pregablin (lyrica) is a good one to try. I found it's like gabapentin but because more of it is absorbed by the body, the doses are much lower so you tend to get less side effects. I felt a little light headed for the first 4 days then things improved fair

• Posted

Sorry, fairly quickly. I am by no means pain free but it's manageable. I'm also taking naproxen (anti inflammatory) and sertraline for long-term depression. I recently made the mistake of taking a 30mg cocodamol on top of my other meds. I had a really severe reaction where i lost control of one of my legs, the calf muscle went into spasm and all my muscles twitched. It lasted for 3 days and was terrifying. It won't necessarily affect others like that, it's just my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.