Bunion surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm due to have bunion surgery in 15days, I'm so nervous an worried about pain and recovery, I'm really active and love the gym,i really want to get back to normal asap, any tips, tricks or recovery methods and advice,i would appreciate so much, I will update asap thank guys x

3 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi misspbadass

My best advice would be just take each day as it comes. Don't rush things. The more you rest and elevate your feet the better. I'm just 2 weeks post op and I've already learnt from reading and advice from others on this forum that it's the best way. I know we all want to get back to our everyday lives but I really think this is the best way to go about it. The better care you take post op the quicker the recovery. Good luck and hope all ges well for youwink

• Posted

Thank you so much, and you are right it's better to,just chill, I'm so nervous though x
  • Posted

I had the Ludloff procedure done 5 weeks ago.  I've really had no pain, at least not compared to what I was expecting.  I also had a pain pump for the first 3 days, if they offer one to you TAKE IT.  Follow the instructions, take it slow and don't over do it when you're feeling better.  I was told no weight bearing for 6 wks and walking with a boot for at least another 3 wks.  After that, I'm having the other foot done.  I also got a goofy looking scooter that's a little like the knee scooter, but it has a bicycle seat so you can sit on it...  it make all the difference in your mobility and it help keep my level of frustration down..  AND I drive my family crazy with it.
    • Posted

Thank you so much,but wat is a pain pump, sounds interesting, I've also got to have both done   🙈🙈nervous is not the wordx
    • Posted

not sure how its would work with both done, but my surgeon said i could do upper body work at the gym,  nothing aerobic or lower body ( although he did say yes to cycling in th gym). Anyway I did go after 3 weeks. I put all the weights down to half and just really tried to stretch my muscles, rather than work them out. I found this has been really helpful to keep my body mobilised, even when my foot isn't
    • Posted

OK that is reassuring I have been so worried with, how I would cope ,really appreciating this advice, how did u feel with the cycling in gym?  😊
    • Posted

talk to your doc about the pain pump...  it was awesome and I didn't really feel anything,  It is a constant drip of pain meds to the nerve.  I was scared too, especially after everything we hear about it...  but jacked up feet wasn't option!  smile
    • Posted

That's encouraging. Thanks for posting that.  I don't do the gym. I'm a Zumba, Body Balance and Combat girl.  My fitness teacher is happy for me to do what I can at Body Balance. xx
  • Posted

I am 4 weeks post surgey-- akin/scarf osteomy on both feet--the pain was not nearly as bad as I expected and I managed comfortably with ibuprofin and paracetemol. 

I too like to be active and go to the gym and have (since about day 8) been doing a daily12 minute workout that featutres on one of the Rosemary Conolly DVD's (Ultimate Whole Body Workout) put together for people who are chair bound. Although its only mild exercise compared to what I am used to it makes me feel that I am retaining some fitness and muscle tone and and helps keep me positive. You could probably get a cheap 2nd hand copy on one of the online auction sites as its quite old now. I also do a few extra exercises with weights. Hope that helps and good luck.

• Posted

HeHey thank you, I never thought about dvd workouts, that sounds fab, I am really going to miss the gym, I have really built up my fitness I will give that a try thank u so much
    • Posted

That's the surgery I'm having too.  Your post is most encouraging. Thank you. x
  • Posted

Hi there sorry you so nervous but is understandable. I am 9 days post op for scarf osteotomy and fusion 2nd toe plus ligament treatment on 4th and 5th toes. I am mobilising well on surgical shoe and crutches outside. Walking on shoe inside. Had l foot done 20 yrs ago with excellent result. Walking after having both done will not be the problem the main thing for you will be to elevate post surgery. Your feet need to be above groin level when you resting . The worst thing us the pressure feeling which is a bit scary but it does improve. It feels like u have a heavy weight on yr foot feels tight and numb and sometimes pins and needly. As long as yr feet and toes are pink and warm not blue and cold This is normal. You will love yr feet after the surgery I think is well worth doing. Good luck I will be looking forward to hearing yr updates. Will try and post pic of my l foot.
    • Posted

Hey that sounds fab,  I know it's about rest and the tips on elevation is really helping me to understand, I am worried about the bloody injection to numb🙈🙈,an that wearing off, I have cocodamol an ibuibupribuprofen at the ready, look forward to the pic   😊
  • Posted

sorry for delay, was on my mobile and could  n ot work out how to add pic so finally did it on pc.e happy ifmy right foot turns out like this. 
    • Posted

Wow!!!!

I will be overjoyed if my feet look like that at the end of this long journey.

• Posted

The op these days has improved from yrs ago so I feel confident for you .😃
    • Posted

So reassuring I have been so worried, but with so much positive response, and stories I'm really shocked how everyone is so positive about it full stop, I think iits my selfishness in not wanting to stop the gym and putting on weight, I lost 3 stone over 3 years and I'm sooo worried about being hindered.  But all I can see is positive positive positive, I know there are horror stories, I'm not silly lol but the good override the bad, thank u so much 😁😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.