Fractured my ankle 3 months ago but ankle keeps swelling and is painful.

Posted , 148 users are following.

I had fractured my ankle in July this year. Had it in plaster for six weeks, had a review with consultant yesterday. Had another x ray and consultant confirmed the bone had healed,but I explained to him that I my ankle keeps swelling and is painful. Can't walk very far and he said it could be the soft tissue area may have fragments of cartilage init, but because I have a pacemaker can't have a MRI scan. He has told me to come back in 3 months time.I have to have psyiotherapy . what do i do if it keeps on swelling.I don't have much faith in the consultantbreally

2 likes, 383 replies

383 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan ,

also i had a surgery 3 month ago , and now also i have painfull and my ankle keeps swelling.

I'm fighting this with only painkillers, because i yet have an pressure ulcer on my foot caused for 3 weeks of plaster.

In my precedents surgery I fighted the swelling with phisio and baths cold and hot of foot and also with baths with salt.

the last proposals seem stupids but are very good.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I fractured my right ankle on both sides in September, fortunately I did not need surgery as both bones were not displaced.  After 6 weeks the cast was removed, but I was not able to weight bear for another 16 days.  It's been a slow process, but with exercise and physio I am now walking/wadling without a stick.  I too have constant swelling, it appears within an hour of waking each morning. I use a compression bandage for support but have found nothing to alleviate the swelling.  I will try the hot and cold foor baths and also the salt suggestion.  My physio said that some people just swell more than others and that it could take 12 to 18 months for me to be back to my fitness level prior to the facture. Good luck with your recovery. 

• Posted

I too fractured my ankle, 6 weeks plaster now compression bandage. Can just about manage on one crutch and can take a few steps without, but swelling is a problem around the top part of the ankle, one day it's not too bad then we go into major swelling again, so fed up with it now. It's been 13 weeks now, seizing physio pm today but NHS so busy have only had 3 sessions so far, is it worth going private does physio help?
    • Posted

Hi Christine

I feel for you.  I'm in the same boat, ankle swells each day if I do any walking or standing.  Bed rest and ice packs are the only way to keep it from swelling - not practical after 15 weeks!  I go to physio and do my exercises, but this is more to improve the strength in the ankle and leg and improve my walking. A friend suggested I ask my Dr for anti inflammatory tablets, so will investigate this avenue.

Will let you know how I go Best wishes, Gail

• Posted

How is your ankle doing now?Ive read your posts after you broke your ankle.Did you have to have any metal gear placed ?I am only 8 weeks post and broke 3 sides of my ankle.The surgery I had the Dr placed a metal plate with screws to hold the bones in place.Happy yours is hopefully better by now...take care....  smile
    • Posted

Hi,

I broke my ankle in 3 places just over 2 weeks ago, it was operated on only 2 weeks this coming Monday with a metal plate and wires inserted into my ankle. They have booked my in for physio on Tuesday only 2 weeks since I was discharged from hospital. Is this normal procedure as I am so concerned about having to go.

Chelsea

• Posted

Hi Chelsea

Does seem pretty quick but I'm sure they know what they are doing, I broke my ankle & dislocated it six weeks ago two surgical procedures & the bone feels pretty good I get more pain & swelling as a result of the dislocation but I have another three weeks in the aircast boot then physio

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!!

I went to the physio on Tuesday and all was fine, I was given excercises to do daily. Obviously I still can't weight bear as have another 3 weeks in the cast. I was told the more I do now, the easier it will be to get me applying weight and walking when the 6 weeks is up.

Also went to the hospital yesterday to have stitches out and all is looking great regarding the wounds healing!!

I understand broken ankles aren't a quick fix but I wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Chelsea,

Its good to have someone with similar experience. I fractured my right ankle 3 places in Nov, had surgery after a week and had full cast on for 6weeks post surgery, the Dr said there was no union after 6weeks and asked me to go ahead and bear weight, do you think its a wise decision? Did you have union after 6weeks? And how are you now?

• Posted

Abigail,

Did I read your posting correctly?  The doctor advised you didn't have a union but told you to bear weight on it anyway?  If so, I'd advise you ti find a new doctor.  "Nounion" or "failed union" means the bones failed to mend together, or mended together only partially.  In my case, I had a failed union at only 30% mended.  Yes, I dismissed my first doctor because he gave me similar advice. For you, the bones are in the same broken condition as on the day of your accident -- except now you've probably got scar tissue growing into the break.  Call a new doctor and make an appointment asap.

Jim

• Posted

Hmmm, thank you so much, I will do just that, my next appointment is in 9days time, so I wait till then?
    • Posted

Also, my confusion is in the that fact that I have read on internet the symptoms of non union and I don't seem to have or rather feel any of the symptoms apart from occasssional swelling which comes and goes and am not on pain relief, when I bear weight though in my boot, I don't feel pain , I am just confused about everything
    • Posted

Abigail,

I saw in your response to Ms. Camboot, that your surgeon advised your GP of your non-union and he questioned if it would ever result in union.  To me, I think it is egregious that he has told you to walk on it and see him in a month. As I said earlier, I received very similar advice from my first doctor. I dumped him immediately.  My new doctor performed a bone graft on my ankle and screwed it together.  The bone graft was necessary because my break was then four months old.  What he found when he opened up the ankle was that it was 30% mended and that fiberous scar tissue had invaded the non-unioned area.  So, he had to clean out the scar tissue prior to performing the graft.  If I were you I would not wait.  I would get recommendations for the best ortho surgeon in town and get an appoinment with him as soon as he is available.  If you explain your situation to his scheduler, you may be able to get him to squeeze you in to his appointment schedule.  Again, I would not wait.  (I'm very impatient).

Good luck!

Jim

• Posted

Hmmm,

Thanks a lot, so good to have stumbled on this site. Will keep you posted

• Posted

Hi,

I promised you and miss camboot to update my progress, finally had my visit to Dr on Friday after the first was cancelled and I wasn't informed, the bone has healed so I am waiting to be booked for physio, thank you all for your encouragement, in the meantime, do you have any idea what I can do while waiting to be booked for physio as my ankle is so stiff and I can't weight bear without crutches .

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Abigail.

Massage your foot and ankle with a moisturiser and slowly move it with your hands. Move it up and down while massaging it. It will take time but it will slowly start moving again. So pleased your bone has healed Abigail. Keep positive.

• Posted

Hi MsCamboot,

Thanks a lot and thanks so much for the encouragement. I will do that, thanks

• Posted

I'm happy to hear the news is much different than what you had shared in the prior posting.  For exercises, work on flexing your ankle up and down.  You will soon need flexibility in that manner to walk without causing your knees and hips to hurt.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot, I am taking in all the advice and will definitely work with them. Thanks once again
    • Posted

I am really curious how long it has been now for you and how everything turned out, since I had the the three bone break as you did. I had a bracket and 11 screws placed (surgery the day after my break). I'm an athletic, healthy non-smoker and 58 years old. I'm at the 5th week from surgery and 4th week with a cast going a bit stir crazy wondering when I will walk again. My toes still swells terribly when I don't keep my leg up. I'm told I'll have to wear a cast for 10 weeks. I've already lost a lot of calf muscle and my thigh is looking looser too. I'm quite worried about the muscle loss and wondering what your experience was re that as well. Would love anyone else's advice if they see this post too. Thank you!
    • Posted

Hello Ms Canboot 

i haven't been on awhile but curious how your doing since my injury was very similar with you and dislocation with breaks,  I'm coming up on 4 months and just starting to get up in my walker for short stints. Standing at counter to cook and do dishes, feel so tall!  I put regular sneakers on first time yesterday it felt pretty good. I just wanted to see how it feels and just standing in walker, my boot is easier. My leg is so weak and wobbly. Love to hear your thoughts. Also ankle still real stuff even with daily massage, water therapy and PT but I'm am making very small progress none the less. Hope you are well

jannie 👣

• Posted

Hi Patti. Your still early days but your being in good shape will help- I'm 4 months and just getting up in my walker and standing in kitchen. Building leg muscle takes time with leg strengthening exercises and a bike, it's a process but you'll get there. Most here with serious breaks can take up to a year, each person is different for their healing times. I am in an airboot but have my foot out of it most of the day while not on it. Swelling still happens when I am on it most of the day or have my foot down. Take good care it will happen, I wonder the same to and looking forward to the day.......best Jannie 👣
    • Posted

Thank you Jannie. It's just so nice to have people to reach out to who have experienced what you are going through and have some idea what to expect. It really stops you in your tracks to break your ankle, and can be quite a bummer at times, and seeing a pathway forward is so helpful. It's easy to take for granted things until you can't do them anymore. Thank you very much!
    • Posted

Things will get better. Remember you broke bones, this put shock through out your whole body, including your mind. Please have patience. Swelling in normal because your body is healing itself. Everytime you see swelling your signals in your body says okay this part needs healing, so swelling could mean a good thing. When the swelling subsides then you can see that this is necessary. I broke my ankle a year ago, and I learned that training the mind to think positive is crucial. Accept your fracture, become friends with it in this way it will not be your enemy but a friend: gentle, love, peace, and healing. And I took bone vitamins too. Think positive no matter what. Have a great day.
    • Posted

Hi I'm 4 weeks after my op I had plates and screws and dislocated my ankle I'm in cast still and when I have my foot down within 20 mins my toes go purple and at times I get a swelling feeling as thou my cast feels as thou it's getting tight is this normal at all sorry to post on your post I didn't know how to make my own post xxxx
    • Posted

Totally normal, your very early days....I'd keep my foot up as much as possible til you get re xrayed and bones are meshed. Your break is like mine with dislocation - I'm at 4 mos and foot still purple and swollen when down for long periods. Time for healing for each person is different  but from this forum you will see most here have been told this can last up to a year. Take it easy and elevate that will help the healing. There is no fast way with this injury. Take good care 👣
    • Posted

Hi Carol- It's great to post here. No need to start a new post. Glad you joined! I'm 6 weeks out of surgery, 5 weeks in the cast with about 5 more left in the cast because I broke 3 of the ankle bones, so pretty close to your timing. So is Ron who has been posting here, although he is out of the hard cast now and into a boot, so we are both just a bit ahead of you. I still get purple toes super quickly when my foot is down for 10 mins or more. Keep it up as much as possible, if you can, with ice by the top underside of your knee just above the cast. I read somewhere that your body works on repairs much quicker when the leg stays up, otherwise most the energy goes into fighting the swelling instead of the repair. The main thing is it feels so much better up. When it's down too long, besides the toes turning purple, my cast also gets really tight, just like yours. At first I thought my cast was too tight and went back into my doctor, because my friends and family were worried to see things turning purple. Turns out it was fine. Luckily everything changes quickly with the leg up over the heart. I think our body is trying to tell us something. How long will you have your cast on? How many bones did you break in your ankle?
    • Posted

Hi carol

Yes I had all that you mentioned for some time was awful as you just have to keep your leg up and resting x

• Posted

hi I broke both tib and fib nearly 3mts ago dislocated and shatterd bottom of both bones.operation I have 2 plates 10 screws on each plate and a big screw going up threw the bottom .I found it was easy to walk on wen plaster was removed but very little ankle movement.peg leg .I am finding that lately to stand or walk on it for anything over 3/4 min the pain is unbearable also it swells right up so I then have to elivate it .is this the same for you I can no longer walk more than 100 yrsds with out pain .I'm hoping with time it will go bk to normal
    • Posted

Where is your pain coming from? I think that is the big question. And what kind of pain....aching or sharp pain? I had a lot of pain at first, when I started walking, that I found out was coming from my heel and the tendons under my foot. I read up on it and found out I had plantar fasciitis, which just took me a few stretches and exercises to get rid of, could that be what you have? I have found the PT exercises cause pain everyday for me (not when I am doing them, but later), but I push through and do them 2-3 times a day anyway (I take a Motrin in the morning and evening now that takes care of it completely), but it is more overall aching vs. deep pain in one spot, so I know that it is okay. I also see a lot of positive results from the PT exercises, by the end of each week, so I know I am on the right track. If your pain continues, I would definitely go to the doctor and get an x-ray, to make sure there are not any non-union issues, which I read about a lot. You will know best if the pain seems right or not, for what you are doing each day. 
    • Posted

Hope your footsteps getting better, my wife's in the same boat! Foot swells up after a few hours Standing! 2d surgery 3 mos ago foot swells in short time. Miserable in Hawaii !
    • Posted

Footsteps???? Foot is healing nicely.
    • Posted

Hi Thomas! Sorry you are not enjoying your vacation as much as you had hoped. These ankle injuries take some time to heal unfortunately. You wife should be good by 12-18 months out I would expect, and life will be back to normal. It's hard on everyone in the family, when one member is down, that is for sure. I can walk and stand for a long time now, pretty much as any normal person would do in a day at work (not excessive walking or hiking yet though). Walking isn't hard now, and if you saw me walk down the street, I look like a normal person, but I don't go quite as fast as normal people. I try to slow it down so I have good form, and have a bit of trouble if a group is walking fast, then I tend to add a slight limp in order to keep up, which I know isn't good. I am working to learn how to walk on my toes, to make it easy to push off my toes when I go down stairs. My ROM is very good now, I just need to keep getting stronger. Speed will come with strength. Foot swells by end of the day quite a bit if I am on it all day. Ice and elevation still required on and off thorughout the day to ease swelling. Sorry to hear your wife had to endure a second surgery. Hang in there...it will get better. It is a week by week thing, vs. day by day improvement. 
    • Posted

Hi!

I totally understand that with an injury like this you have to stay positive, but I am having such a hard time with this. I broke it almost 6 weeks ago and had surgery to have a metal plate and screws around 4, almost 5 weeks ago. I feel so hopeless all the time.

Now that you're a year out of this, how is your ankle doing? Do you find you're back to normal? Or does it still bug you? How long before you were able to go out and walk without pain?

I'm sorry for pestering you with so many questions lol, I just need to prepare myself for this long journey ahead.

• Posted

I've just been reading your post I know it's 6 months old and I hope your ankle is good now , I was reading about nourion or failed Union which I'm guessing is the bones which where broken , I'm 2 weeks out of cast in more pain and swelling now but don't know if bone is healed as the cast was taken off no exray just told to get a good pair of trainers and start walking , I cry most days at the end of the day as its so painful and a massive , don't know if this is the norm anyone else the same as me would love to hear from you .

• Posted

Hi Karla,

I broke my ankle 3 months ago. Surgery two days later with metal plate and nine screws. Big cast for 2 weeks, regular cast for 6 weeks. Then air cast which I am now only wearing half of the day. I went from walker, to knee scooter, to cane now nothing. I have PT twice a week. Exercises and lots of massaging. I still ice my ankle 2-3 times a day with elevation. My biggest problem now is swelling around ankle. I am walking okay but not perfect yet which is why my hip hurts. You really have to keep up with exercises and icing. I get frustrated too but it takes a long time to heal. Go slow and steady and you will get there. I have never thought about one body part more in my life. I hope you progress and keep moving ahead. Stay strong!

• Posted

I am a 54 your old Alpinest. 14 weeks ago I had a incident on a climb in Peru and fell just under 11 meters. One week after my fall a surgeon and hardware arrived in the city I had been taken to on Huaraz Peru. I had a plate several screws put into my ankle which had 3 significant breaks. I also had a torn tendon on my knee and dislocated hand.

I have manged never gave up so far 2 days after surgery I was exercising . I would use cruthes to get around the city of Huaraz which is inclined in many places. I averaged a day 4 kilometers on cruthes. When two weeks post surgery cane a friend in Bivins had me start range of motion exercises not slot and not overdone. Much of these exercises were done in water. After 6 weeks I began to weight bear for me this has been long because of the extent of my injuries. Now at 13 weeks I am most of the time out of boot full weight bearing , climbing stairs ,riding bike and many more exercises at the gym. I also find a couple of yoga moves beneficial to improvement to range of motion. I still swell after an hour and sit a moment to rest. I have not taken any pain medicine since my surgery. I have positive out look and tell my self I will be the same old me again.

• Posted

You sound like superman! You are my hero! Thanks for the inspiration! You will be running for sure by month 5-6 with your gusto, if not a lot earlier! I'm at month 5-1/2 with a trimalleolar break (age 56) and can jog around a little and basically feel great. I could probably run, if I had done much of that before the injury, but I was never much of a runner. You are in much better shape, so I'm sure you will be doing much when you get a few months out. The cardio you are doing at this point in your recovery is amazing. Have you tried to do upper body weights too? I am convinced that what you are doing moves the blood around the body and brings oxygen into the damaged areas to speed recovery and take toxins and inflammation away from the injured ankle. Let us know how you are at month 4, it was a huge turning point for most of us. It is totally amazing how hard you have worked! Wow!!

• Posted

I broke my ankle 5 1/2 weeks ago. no surgery needed as bone was aligned. The cast comes off in a week. I go on holiday 2 weeks after that. When I told the doc this he said he thought that should be fine. So I am alarmed to hear that many of you can't walk after cast removed or are still on crutches. This holiday has been booked since sept 2015. From what I am reading I'll be lucky to be walking by Christmas. So it seems they have not told me the reality of what to expect. I was so looking forward to next week when I thought I would be mobile again

• Posted

Since you didn't require surgery you may well make that vacation!

• Posted

Hi Denise I just had my cast removed after 6 weeks, was told in A&E that it was a compound fracture and ligament damage on both sides and on front. When I went to fracture clinic the next day the doctor did not tell of much other than it was a serious injury. Today cast taken off seen completely different doctor who didn't even look at my ankle and said need to in to physio for exercises. I was shocked that no x ray was taken. I was trying to put weight on my leg when I was in the cast near the end to speed up the recovery when the cast come off. I can walk on it already but is still sore and swollen, I have been reading lots of threads and forums and most have mentioned how long the recovery takes. I hope I will heal quick want to start running and training again.

• Posted

Hi, how long did it take your bones to heal with the screws and metal plate. I am five months out, still dwelling, and bones have not healed.
    • Posted

Hi Jannie, you have the same swelling I have when putting your foot down. When my foot is not up it swells shortly afterwards. How long before your foot stopped swelling when not elevated.
    • Posted

Hi Gail, Fractured my ankle 5/5/16. Was aligned so no surgery. Was in a boot & on crutches for 6 weeks. I have been doing pretty well except for the swelling. I have the same problem as you stated. In the morning ankle looks pretty good but after being up & the more I am on it the swelling is back. If I don't rest it becomes painful. I am encouraged by your post & others as I was thinking I wasn't progressing. Since most posts I've read say 12-18 months for full recovery I feel  much better. My question is, do you wear a compression hose to reduce the swelling? My doctor advised this would be helpful. I put it on before getting out of bed and remove before going to bed. I was wondering if you had to do this? I don't want my leg/ankle to depend on this. Look forward to your reply, or anyone else out there experiencing the same problem. Thanks in advance. 

• Posted

I had a dr tell me the same thing plates and screws still non union.   Said I could walk in the walking cast. 8 mo this later another dr another surgery he did a bone graft and I finally have union. Almost a year later .
    • Posted

On March 30 of this year, which coincidentally was the final day of National Ladder Safety Awareness Month, I tumbled off a 15-foot ladder onto my brick patio and broke my left ankle in four places. Because of the swelling after the fracture, my orthopaedic surgeon made me wait 11 days before he performed surgery to place plates and screws and successfully move everything back to its normal order. I first had a light wrap while awaiting surgery; then a protective covering of hard plastic and bandages to wrap  and protect everything after surgery. 

I was was told I could not bear weight on the fractured ankle for six weeks. In  10 days from this writing,  I return to my orthopedist, who is a sports doctor, for X-rays and hopefully instructions for beginning to rehab my ankle. 

It has been a long journey for someone who, at age 62, weight trains, runs, climbs and travels actively. Everything came to a dead stop for a bit. 

For those who have recently broken your ankle and may now be despairing or depressed, let me give you encouragement and a dose of reality. Pain and swelling are normal. The pain diminished for me within days of my surgery and I stopped taking my medication and opted for Ibuprofen when needed. The swelling, on the other hand, is still with me and I have numbness still in certain places on the top of my foot where the incisions were made. My doctor said this is normal and that I may wxperience these sensations for weeks or longer. When the surgery is performed, the incisions and movement to repair the damage, along with the trauma from the fracture, cause so me of these issues. So does the post-surgical swelling. 

I have five five sets of stairs at my home. My bedroom is on the second floor. For the first four days after breaking much ankle, I slept on the couch and toughed it out. Then I decided that this was not living as I was away from my bed and could not shower. So I started using my crutches to navigate the stairs. And I got two knee scooters for us inside the house and outside. Get a knee scooter right away. It will make your life so much better. 

Fortunately, my wife was home to be my caregiver and she  has been a godsend. I couldn't have made it without her love, encouragement and support. I've been able to remain very active, continue my consultancy and to even travel when needed on a limited basis. Because it is my left ankle that was affected, I am able to drive my car with no problem.

i hate wearing the protective boot at this stage of my recovery but know it is necessary to keep the ankle safe. Sleep is still inconsistent because of the boot and limited range of turning in bed.  

You will have dark days and despair at times. You will look at the calendar for our recovery and wonder if you can make it through. You will. 

Ice your ankle and and keep it elevated. When you can shower again and expose the ankle, use heat. Ice and heat help me. 

Finally, remember that God never gives us more than we can handle. I feel he has used this experience to teach me two important things in life - to be more patient and to have greater humility. 

Wishing you the the very best!

• Posted

just looking through this forum having broken my legat the knee and my  ankle 9 weeks ago, no op, in nwb cast fro 6 weeks and out now with partial weighbearing!  I too have a holiday booked for our silver wedding early Oct and desperately want to be walking as normally as I can by then, Helen, did you manage to make your holiday ok last year.please give hope!!  do feel thats things are improving with physio and hydrotherapy, but I don't like waiting for anything, and the movement in my knee is still very stiff and painful and the swelling somedays is still quite bad. hope you can tell me that you made your holiday and give me some hope?   thanks for listening x  ps, I'm a 64 year okd lady who is usually totally active and independant!

• Posted

I'm 14 wks post op. I was hit by a drunk driver April 22 head on. I had to have surgery on my right ankle and have a plate and four screws in it. I never had a cast only a boot for nine weeks no weight-bearing then I went into a walking boot and could only bear 25% of my weight for four weeks and now after a CT scan I got the OK to bear weight on my ankle . The swelling last quite a long time my doctor said. It could even last up to a year. It's all very normal it's a lot of trauma that goes on with broken bones as well as surgery let alone the body excepting metal inside of it . I surgeon explained that were my break was its having difficulty letting the blood flow properly around the broken area which causes swelling . So this could be the case for others all I can tell you is to rest your body take things slow and don't push it . Good luck!!

• Posted

Glad to see a recent post. I am becoming so depressed. Just had a boot taken off a week ago after 6 weeks. Had ankle surgery for bad breaks . Pins, screws, plates etc. Foot has been elevated but massive swelling is no better than when they took it off. I have been given exercises but impossible to move any part of the foot with the swelling. Not forgetting the pain. Cannot use crutches or any other help as I also broke my shoulder. I do not go back to the hospital for 6 weeks and physio cannot start for 3 weeks. My husband is caring for me but as he has had 3 heart attacks he cannot lift or tilt the wheelchair. Sleep is troublesome as the foot has to remain upright and elevated. Etc, etc, etc. I cannot see an end to it all. I'm feeling very sorry for myself and hubby. So many of you have been through it. Please let me know that it does sort itself out. Thanks

• Posted

Aw Madeleine what a time your having , lm 9 weeks after my surgery 6 breaks  2 in foot 2 in ankle 2 in leg , reconstruction of my tibia , l have 3 plates numerous pins and screws. 

My husband had a heart attack in Feb , and l feel so guilty he has to look after me ,but lm sure when your husband was ill you cared for him , we will all look back on our experience and wonder how we got through it , best thing is to take each day as it comes , l see a slight improvement every day . l never thought l would get to this stage and at one point feared they would have to take my leg off but they have done a grand job ,  you have to take things slowly and elevate your leg as much as you can , l booked our holiday in Jan and l am determined l am still going 2nd Sept as l am now allowed to weight bare but finding it difficult . Try and keep your spirits up , it's not easy ,you'll get there in the end , lm sure we,l all have a different outlook on life when we are safely back on 2 feet , take care 😊

• Posted

Michael, I appreciate your encouragement. It seems from the above posts that I may be in the minority regarding my treatment with an external fixator involving five pins into my heel, top of foot, and through my shinbone. The plan is to leave in the pins for another 4-5 weeks and then if the fracture is reducing to remove the pins and put me in a cast. So like all  of us, the slowness of the process, especially when we can at best only hobble around, is what gets to us so badly. I look outside on the late summer day, and I want to be in my garden, but instead I'm trying to type with the left leg propped up on the bed! But that is why your post was so encouraging - because our healing ultimately comes from God and we just need to pray for each other. Thanks again!

• Posted

Thank you much for your reply. It's amazing our similarities. I wish you a full recovery and hope you have a wonderful holiday on your own two feet.

• Posted

For other readers. Going to therapy early is fine They will not have u do anything crazy .probably just on the table very slight movement. It is amazing how babying your break but doing what they say can really get ypu forward. Alot of patience with yourself .
    • Posted

Hi I broke my talus bone in 2 places and shattered it too . I also dislocated my ankle I'm about 11 weeks in cast now I've been told I've got 3 more weeks In pot . It's really getting me down . I had pins n plates in the day after my accident. I am still in horrendous pain and my foot is still black . I wonder if I will ever be right again 😢

• Posted

hi Samantha,

you've certainly got a far worse injury than I had, and the bruises are because of internal bleeding at the time of injury. The body will eventually re absorb the damaged blood cells.

my swelling probably took about 6 months to clear, but I do a lot of walking. however, you'll probably get physio treatment.

keep positive, and time will heal.

• Posted

Poor you! I had the same injuries. Dislocated ankle, 2 broken bones and all shattered. So many pins and plates! So painful and swollen. I also broke my shoulder so I couldn't get onto a walking frame or anything that needed strength in my arms for 8 weeks. This was back in July however. 7 months on, I can hobble around the house unaided but need crutches if I leave the house. Docs say it will take 2 years to properly mend but just being able to stand , walk and have a shower feels so great now. Physio is a great help and without them I would still be in a wheelchair, curled up and feeling sorry for myself. Still painful and swollen but seeing just a slight improvement each week keeps the spirits up. Can't wait until I can drive and pop out to the shops. That's my target. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Hi Mary W I feel such a whimp when I hear what you have been through. I broke both legs but compared to others I have got off lightly.  I had many helping my recovery but the person who was surprisingly  the greatest help was my chiropractor. She helped balance my body so other joints were not, knock on, affected.   It may or may not suit your injuries but Physio was not as effective. I now swear by chiropractors. K x

• Posted

hi Chelsea,

​I am curious re; daily exercises given. I broke my right ankle across the top, and 5th metatarsal. cast 6 weeks, airboot a month til I return for xray hopefully start P.T. and more wet. bearing. I was told 2 week in airboot before putting ANY wt.. so I just started wt. bearing yesterday. my calf is so atrophied.. 

I am flexing about 3-4 x a day, and bear a little wt., ankles hurt so I stop, elevate and ice, as nurse said. 

​QUESTION: is it normal for my heel, in the airboot, to have sharp

pains when I put much wt. on it? that stops be before ankle pain.

​thanks!

• Posted

I fractured my ankle/fibula 4 weeks ago by falling. I have had 2 soft plaster casts and now am in an aircast.

I totally agree with using a knee scooter...found me one on day 2.

There are times I have broken down and cried. I feel I keep getting the run around about surgery. The dr I seen at the er when it happened had thought it was possible surgery would be needed because of the gap on the inside part of my ankle area. Seen ortho who put me in the aircast. He made it seem as if he didn't know if surgery is needed. I am so frustrated because all I want is for my injury to be fixed and to be able to walk.

My ankle feels like it wants to pop and hurts so bad.

I want to have it rechecked

• Posted

hey gail82713

can i have your email or facebook i have a bimalleolare fracture but thankfully it was not displaced and my doctor decided to treat it with a cast if i can have some way to communicate with u to ask u some questions

• Posted

hello. came across this thread while searching oh Google. my ankle is in a cast and reading stories of swellimg and difficulty is making me anxious. now 5 years down the road for u, hav u healed completely?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.