Hiatus hernia surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, 

I had my paraesophageal hernia repair on Monday, the 27th at 8:00 o'clock in the morning. I was in surgery for about 2 hours. When I got to recovery I was very nauseous. I told the anesthetist about my problems with nausea and she gave me four different  anti emetics to try and counteract that before I left sugery. Even that wasn't enough and they tried  three more in recovery. Finally after five hours in recovery they were able to move my bed without my retching and get me to my room. I had a semi private and that was good as I had help if I needed it and some company. My shoulders were both sore in recovery and they put ice bags on them . That really helped. I was dreadfully dry after surgery but wasn't allowed to drink anything that day. I could swab my mouth with a wet sponge on a stick. I didn't take anything more than Tylenol for pain. I am allergic to coeidine and  morphine. Pain hasn't been a big issue, just the nausea. The second day I was on a liquid diet and had soup and juices, milk, tea. The next day they allowed more changes in my diet and pudding was added and at lunch I was even allowed baked fish and rice with a cooked vegetable. Boy, that tasted good to a hungry person. I came home after lunch. I am taking Tylenol occasionally . I am getting a slight bit of pain in my shoulders a bit and some discomfort around my abdomen. I had a restless night last night. I am allowed to shower and really enjoyed standing under the warm water when I got home. The steri strips should come off in about 2 or 3 more days. I have five incisions. They don't bother me. This morning I had oatmeal with milk, and banana . 

So no more belching every time I eat ! I have to watch that I don't lift anything heavy for the next six weeks. I am very glad that this is over . I was getting pretty worried about before the operation but it wasn't that bad.

Judy

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Judy,

You must be very relieved now your operation is over. It should'nt be long before you will be able to eat normally again and put all this behind you.  Wish you all the best for the future.

Merryl

• Posted

Thanks Meryl. Yes I am relieved because my type of hernia strangulate a lot more often than other hernias and that was causing the worry. I had been to emergency four times in the past six months and that isn't like me.  

Judy 

• Posted

Nausea can be the way pain is manifested if it's not treated. Amazing Tylenol did much for you after an abdominal operation. 

My surgery will be in 2 wk. I won't be allowed to eat food for over a month--different procedure, I imagine. They plan to leave in a stomach tube out the side of my abdomen for 6 wk. in case I get nauseated--just open it so I don't strain anything. Also the scarring around the tube is supposed to anchor the stomach back where it belongs. I had a car accident, and my hiatus hernia became "stage 3"--entirely in my chest. It's been 6 mo. since it happened, and breathing has been very difficult. Thanks for your reassurance about the surgery--I'm worried, waiting...

Judy in USA

• Posted

My entire stomach was in my chest too but not through a car accident but from coughing and vomiting. I think they might have given me something for pain in recovery but only Tylenol after . My stomach is anchored by fundoplication. That means a part of the stomach is wrapped around the esophagus and then stapled in place. They told me I would be on a liquid diet for 8 weeks but already I am allowed other foods, they call it a soft food diet, ask if that will happen with you. I am glad your surgery is coming soon. Two weeks can seem like an eternity right now though. I tried to find little projects to do to keep my mind off things and go for short walks. 

Judy in Canada ( don't know why they added USA but that is NOT true)

• Posted

Hi judy

I am glad your operation was a success and your slowly getting better! 

I too had my operation last Thursday I stayed in for three days and was let home! After my op I also felt very nauseous and had shoulder pain they gave me morphine for the pain and also an injection for the sick feeling! I was also starved for 24 hours but was allowed very small sips of water and was on a drip for two days! 

Now I am on a very limited diet which is soups yougart jelly plain ice cream and farleys rusks I have to stay on this for two weeks then start slowely eating soft foods for another two weeks then slowly start to eat as normal! I am tired of soup soup and more soup although about ten spoonfuls is my limit!! 

I still also have shoulder pain but slowly day by day it's getting better!! 

I have had no symptoms since have you? 

X

• Posted

Braker, 

I remember the shoulder pain. It was worst when I was in recovery for five hours but they put ice chip bags on my shoulders and that really helped. Then the next few days no shoulder pain but some came back today. I think the ice chips really helped. I had one day of no drinks of water or anything, just swabs of water in mouth. The next day was an all liquid diet., jello was a part of that, highlight of the day. The  third day they gave me pudding and then some rice and tender flakes of baked fish. It was scrumptious. I am 68 years old but in pretty good physical shape other than that darned hernia. I'm not a smoker or drinker. 

My diet says yogurt, soup, cooked veggies but none that have shells, like corn or give you gas, like beans, cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli. Then peanut butter or jelly on Graham crackers and chew to mush. I can oatmeal in the morning with some banana. Canned peaches and pears are allowed and soft cheese. They allow tofu but I'm not going there. I bought some ensure and am going to have one a day to keep up my nutritional demands. They have to be cold and I'm afraid they are very sweet. Today I made some nice runny applesauce. It's delicious! I am also allowed mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes. This is now day 4 after surgery. I see my surgeon in three weeks and I imagine he will evaluate my diet again then. Think milkshakes as variety from soup. Make your own with frozen yogurt. Good luck, let's keep talking. 

Oh yeah, I'm symptom free now. I am no longer a belching machine who was getting very cranky. No sharp pains , no blasts of gas, no choking on my food. Life is much sweeter on this side. My digestion is much better. I do get some back pain on my right side but I am taking Tylenol. I'm very allergic to morphine and codeine so they are out. 

Judy

• Posted

Glad you have had no symptoms I'm sure like me you are very relived! 

My shoulders are finally getting better and almost gone I did put volterol and a hot water bottle on mine and also had a hot bath maybe this could help you? 

Your diet sounds like a dream to mine I have another 12 days before I can go onto soft foods like mash fish and rice! I'm struggling with this diet yesterday and today as I feel as though I'm eating the same stuff over and over again!!

I have had some stomach problems where everything I eat goes straight through me my consultant rang me today said it could be nerve damage or a viral infection so I'm off to the doctors this afternoon!! 

• Posted

This morning I had custard and canned peaches for breakfast. It is all soft so no strain on the system but tasty. My diet suggests eating 6 to 8 times a day, small meals. It also suggests drinking fluids between meals, I/2 cup at a time, then sit up for at least 30 minutes after eating or drinking. If you can have farley's rusk , I think canned fruit would be allowed. 

I hope your doctor can give you some relief on the speed of food going through your body. Tell me what you your doc says. 

Judy

• Posted

Hi judy how are you getting on? 

I'm really getting fed up with my limited food diet after ten days I am truly sick of soups!! I have lost 10 pounds since my op I weighed myself today! X

• Posted

Breaker, 

i don't know why you can't be on the diet I am on. Where do you live? Ask your doctor if you are ready for the soft food diet? I got a urine infection the other day. Certainly not the first one I've had in my life. Otherwise I am doing well. I am still taking Tylenol though as  I find if I don't  I feel some pain. It has been one week today since the op. I went for a walk the other day . I did two blocks out and two blocks back so I'm still a bit weak. I lost 15 pounds before the operation but only a couple since . I think you should be fine with pudding as it is not hard to swallow at all. My doctor is a thoracic surgeon in Canada. He's bus y as all get out but very good. 

Judy

• Posted

I know it's been over a year but how was your recovery? Was the surgery worth it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.