Af has returned after cardiac ablation procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

One month ago to the day I had a cardiac ablation procedure  carried out. Since the operation I have  had  none of the symptons of AF and it has been great. However, yesterday without any warning or  activity my heart started to beat out of sync and faster than normal. These were the issues I was having for the past 10 years before the operation.

Has anyone else experienced this as I was told it might happen and if it does then the cardiology team won't register it until 3 months after the op. It's still on going and has been for the past 24hrs although it isn't as bad now.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i am only asking at this point, would it be worth asking about cardioversion to get it back online and behaving? also need to ask GP / Cardilogist to go back on blood thinning etc i would guess? (if you have come off them) sorry to read this though i would hope once done it stays done! I am not there yet as mine is still intermittant and drug controlled but i guess i will need one sometime... so... will be watching with interest too, (sorry!) good luck... also out of curisity does walking make it worse or if you do something does it feel like it almost gets back in line? - i quiet frequently have to go for a walk with my meds to boost demand, heart usually gets back into sync on demand...only a thought and may not be appropriate for you but...
  • Posted

Simon. Are you consuming a lot of caffeine? If so, stop all of it immediately. Let us know the results.
  • Posted

What a bummer.  I heart his all too often, which is why I'm not a fan of ablation!
  • Posted

Have not had a ablation discussed with me yet, since I just started back with A-Fib problem about 5 Wks. ago. Yesterday I had a loop recorder installed right under the skin next to my heart. It will record when I have these out of rhythm problem. You might now all as been calm since two days before the installation. Not that I want to get out of rhythm, but if its going to happen again it would be nice to have it happen while I have this recorder on. This loop recorded has only been in use for about six months.
  • Posted

Hi Simon ,  I had my 2nd Ablation on 15th Sept 2014 so just 8 weeks ago , I have had the same issues , Although the first Ablation back in 2009 worked and the AF stayed away for nearly 5 years .  3 weeks after having this 2nd one my heart started again , I have been told the same that it can take up to 3 months to settle and can be bumpy for the first few weeks , but I am not convinced at the moment as I was fine for the first 3 weeks and since it clicked in on the 4th week I have had more episodes, resulting in the last 5 days being very uncomfotable.  I have been asked to return to papwoth Hospital to have a tape fitted to see what is happening as I am experiencing Tachycardia in sinus rythm and ectopic missed beats.  Keep me updated with your progress.  I am unfortunately very sensitive to the AF and it knocks me completely off my feet and I am very sick with it. So I am praying that it will still settle even though it doesnt look like it at the moment.
    • Posted

Anna,

If you can't function in Afib you may want to look into the newer procedures that involve an elctrophysiologist and a  cardiac surgeon who both perofom surgery at the same time, one on the inside and then one on the outside of the heart.This procedure seems to have a higher success rate although it is a little more involved.The longer you are in Afib the lesser the chance of an abalation solving the issue.

• Posted

I had one ablation that worked for nearly 5 years , then at the begining of the year in feb it came back , had the 2nd ablation on sept 15th so 8 weeks ago now , I was good for 3 weeks but the last few weeks I am missing so many beats , possibly ectopic but I never had them this bad, I also had a few bouts of tachy that started to make me vomit. They wont do too much till its been 3 months after the opp in case it may still settle , but it sure as hell dont feel like its settling , I have a 7 day tape on now to see whats hapeening,  Most of the time I just feel really uncomfortable like its struggling to beat or stopped and then I feel bad and it starts again after a few bumps, I remember getting this occasionally during the 5 years I was ok apart from these small issues , only once I did pass out about 6 months before it all came back . what is the newer procedure called  
  • Posted

I've been in chronic afib for 25 years and have had numerous cardioversions and 2 failed abalations (2004,2006) They usually want you back to do a cardioversion with in 48 hours of you going out of NSR so they don't have to do a TEE 1st. It is possible in the first few months after the procedure to flip in and out of NSR but if it is more than a few minutes they want to cardio-vert or at least that was my experience here in the states. The longer you have been in A-fib(years) the less likely an abalation will rid you of A-fib. On the other hand to say that sometimes a 2nd or 3 rd abalation is necessary to give you the desired result. Good luck and go get cardioverted
    • Posted

Did you have any let up from the Af straight after the ablation ?? did it come back straight away or did it take a few weeks , Mine fortunately goes back into sinus rythm on its own it just seems to go in and out of AF a few times then normally gives me a break for an hour or two . My AF was hard for them to see at the start as I start in AF then go into Tachycardia in sinus rythm then the missed beats , thats why they have put the tape on as the Af is always at the start and is always missed unless I have the tape while its happening .  Last time I had to have a reveal device in my chest for a year
    • Posted

The 1st ablation which I had done at a very renown hospital, I went home the next day in Afib.the 2nd one I lasted a few weeks but the medication I was on was worse than the afib itself.i have been in chronic afib to long for an ablation to work.I have the best electro physiologist and have discussed new procedures,but was told there was no guarantee and was it really worth it since I have no limitations now physically
    • Posted

well at least it gives you no limitations now ,  Mine comes and goes and kicks in at any time and then has a mind of its own as to how long it stays, most of the time it dont stay for more than a day . The AF has been on and off now for 7 days with breaks of maybe an hour in between, and when I am on the inbetween hour break I am getting missed beats that are probably driving me more mad in between palpatations.  And sadly I just cant function with it going on it knocks me so off my feet , it probably dont help as I am sensitive to it and I panic then it gets worse and makes me vomit . I would give anything to make it stop , just want my life back
    • Posted

Anna, i know how you feel, i have intermittant AF brought on by being an elite athlete (all sprints) now my heart gets confused by the lower demand on it and sets off on its own... well the top half does... and i really hate it. I am still lucky in that Flecandie works mostly and when that doesnt flec and a brisk walk usually does, it that doesnt then off to A&E where i get either cardioversion or digoxin (?) which do work. I am dreading its progression. All i can say is be positive and yes i know its not easy. I went for some help recently and have found mindfulness helpful in accepting where i am. I must admit though i do get cross somethimes with the things i cant do that i used to do... when both the AF and the vasospasms kick off together hands go blue and i feelreally rubbish, those times i really dont know how i get through, just a life time of being plain stubborn and awkward carry me over i guess. you arent alone, keep trying!
    • Posted

Anna, i know how you feel, i have intermittant AF brought on by being an elite athlete (all sprints) now my heart gets confused by the lower demand on it and sets off on its own... well the top half does... and i really hate it. I am still lucky in that Flecandie works mostly and when that doesnt flec and a brisk walk usually does, it that doesnt then off to A&E where i get either cardioversion or digoxin (?) which do work. I am dreading its progression. All i can say is be positive and yes i know its not easy. I went for some help recently and have found mindfulness helpful in accepting where i am. I must admit though i do get cross somethimes with the things i cant do that i used to do... when both the AF and the vasospasms kick off together hands go blue and i feelreally rubbish, those times i really dont know how i get through, just a life time of being plain stubborn and awkward carry me over i guess. you arent alone, keep trying!
    • Posted

Has your cardioigist discussed an abalation with you,I would think the success rate would be very high in your case. Cardioversion in my opinion are not the solution to your issues.
    • Posted

Please disregard the  post above on discussing the abalation with your doctor.I am been responding to a few different topice and I forgot you have already had 2 and in my previous post I suggested talking about the new procedures avaailable for failed abaltions. Sorry for the confusion
    • Posted

sorry the above double up... oddly, not me for a change... honest

• Posted

yes ,  I had one 5 years ago and it worked I was so good for 5 years with just a few little palatations ,  then it started again in february this year ,  I had the 2nd ablation 8 weeks ago , I was fine for 3 weeks then I started getting tachycardia episodes which has now left me with the missed beats the palpatations and what feels like restriction as though its trying to beat.  I know I havean eptopic and it feels like its made that worse , although the surgeon is saying it could still settle , But last time I never had all this , I was fine right from the word go
    • Posted

thats ok ,  I have to wait 3 months now before I can be considered for another one , I do have the tape on at the moment in the hope they can see if its the AF causing the tachycardia , or why I am getting so many missed beats
    • Posted

Ha ha  Andrew I often wonder how much more bad this can get , I am also in a position where I had private cover on the opps , but hubby got made redundant this week and now we have no private cover , so if they agree to another ablation for me I just wonder how long I will have to wait , I am struggling to work and really need to more than ever now as you can imagine .  I feel like I am dying when this happens , I placed so much faith in the ablation as it worked last time , I am feeling worse than ever , cant do anything with out making it go into one , even getting up to make a tea sets it off ,  I drink de caff tea I dont eat chocolate ,  the only thing I have had a problem with is that I still smoke although I am trying to cut id right out
    • Posted

this is to all of you on here , I think if I had not have had you all to talk to about this I would have gone off the rails and fallen to pieces , So just a big thank you for keeping me going guys . At times I really struggle when I cant do normal day to day things .
    • Posted

Quitting smoking wil lhelp as well as giving up all sugar and anyhing white.pasta,bread,pre-packaged foods.This may not cure your AFIB but you will fare better while in AFIB if you make this life style change
    • Posted

ok I will quite the ciggies , I dont have sugar anyway not on anything , dont really eat pasta or pre packed food ,  but I do eat white bread , so its on to brown bread now then,  what about potatoes ??  believe me I am so desperate I will try anything
    • Posted

ciggies..given up will be the biggest change, bread like best of both or well actually try em all out and find a new favourite multigrain?...... spuds hmmm not going to talk me  out of those! but i tend to be quite healthy eating, but the occaisional treat...variety helps too.
    • Posted

I can only speak for my father who just turned 86 and has been in AFIB for 20 years. Prior to the last 12 months My father health was very up and down and AFIB left him with no energy to do much at all. He was on Amiodarone for years until they found out it damaged his lungs,he had a knee replacement with some complications,I felt he would not see 83. A year ago he gave up all sugar,all whites,and dairy and has made a complete 180 in his health.
    • Posted

Andrew I have been eating healthly and did before , but now I am loosing weight as I cant eat properly as on top of all this I have the helibactor stomach Bug and I cant have the antibiotics to clear it so thats making me feel crap too . I am having to try the natural methods like mauka honey and yakault
    • Posted

sounds good and worth a try , just wouldn t be able to give up potatoes lol .  I can do everything else but do like my jacket potatoe , I feel worse now than I did before the opp , so anything is worth a try .  I had it all planned after the opp I was going to start the gym and take regular walks , and now I dont have the energy I get breathless and the more I try to do the worse I feel so I sit down its a vicious circle
    • Posted

I myself overused antibiotics for years before I discovered master tonic. google this" Master tonic the dynamic turnaround" .Everythime I would get a cold or sinus infection I would have to get an antibiotic and tok about 6-8 a year now ,since I found master tonic and make it myself I have been antibiotic free for 18 months. Gread the article and let me know your thoughts
    • Posted

i also have ME and use Q10 200mcg dose it helps ...again have a read discuss with you medics... but for me it does help my energy and recovery, my Prof for ME recomended it ... hmmm jackets spuds, drat now i'm hungry again...
    • Posted

It sounds good , apart from the fact I just dont do anything hot and with what its got in it that would blow my heard off lol , does it taste really hot when you drink it ??  I dont have horseraddish I have the creamed stuff , I am a whimp ,
    • Posted

Has anyone suggested you have an ablation Andrew its sounds like you would benifit from an ablation 
    • Posted

its being looked at but.... problem is with the vasospasms they arent sure whether it would make those worse or not. Currently the flecanide works and "we" are playing safe... but, thank you! 
    • Posted

Prinzmetal angina and syndrome x angina, one is major vessels one is the small / micro vessels and they spasm to nearly closed....stents dont work as the spasm moves along the blood vessel. It was bad enough having the Arrhythmia but this as well... i have read about a procedure where the heart is taken and cold shocked but even that only lasts in half the cases for up to 18 monthsi dont fancy that idea anyway. So far drug helped but not controlled / healed, ho hum...
    • Posted

omg that must be making you feel terrible , and I thought I had it bad, They have questioned angina with me but its not been diagnosed , I am still hoping all these missed beats will go away and its still healing from the opp.  But the more I speak to the surgeon the less I am thinking that , he has asked me to get copies of the ECg s I had when I had the tachycardia at the hospital as i am getting so many missed beats a day its getting scary now, and all this sarted after the tachycardia episode . I just feel exhausted and weak ,
    • Posted

i have to admit some days are challenging!. Good luck with yours!! one thing i use is Alivecor, got it via Amazon and i use it to check my heart sometimes when the pain is bad i cant feel the arrhythmia so use this app and phone attachment to check, very useful as i can take the flecanide when i need it rather than just in case.My GP was impressed by it too so it cant be too bad... yesterday was bad - hands were going blue too, today, so far much better. Hope your day is too 
    • Posted

I have an alivecor that the hospital gave me but as my Af starts the tachycardia I could never catch it on the alivecor so for me that didn t work , It seems my Af come in and then it goes to tachycardia and does not show AF after that until the next time , thats why they thought the ablation would be good for me ,  I know what you mean about some days are challenging , I had one of those on sunday , sometimes its just so hard to deal with , I just feel my life is slipping away and I am not achieving things I need to do
    • Posted

i know what you mean here too... just keep doing what you can and celebrate those achievements... each one though small is still a victory! shame the Alivcor isnt more helpful, i do use mine quite a bit and sometime doing the do i need to dial for hospital check, so it does help me a lot fortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.