Tips for avoiding hair loss on Methotrexate

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have RA and have been taking Mtx for about 6 years. I take a high dose folic acid supplement every day apart from the day I take my Mtx. I am also on Humira injections every other week.

When I ran out of folic acid a few years ago I lost masses of hair and (at the time) hadn't realised that was why I had to take the supplement. I have been diligent about it ever since but I still lose more hair than is normal and always have sprouty new hairs like a mini mohican! My hair isn't thin anymore as seems to regrow rapidly but it's not nice like it used to be. 

I have read on this forum that some of you are taking additional supplements such as vit D and calcium and was wondering what combination people have had the most success with. Any other tips gratefully received as well. 

Many thanks! 

4 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Wheato,  I too am interested in any tips.  My doctor recently changed how often I take Folic Acid to alternate days because of my blood but haven't seen any improvement in the hair loss problem yet.  Here's hoping.....
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, rubbish isn't it? I am grateful to be in remission but I do miss my old hair. I hope we get some useful replies and that your hair situation and health continue to improve. 
  • Posted

Hello Wheato,  how are you doing?  Wondered if you found a solution to the hair loss problem we both suffer from?  Mine has got worse this past year and  very noticeable.   
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, I'm good thanks. I haven't found a solution unfortunately but see my note below about fish oil. You could also try taking Viviscal, which is a supplement derived from sharks. I don't want to take it because of ethical reasons (I just don't feel comfortable with the origin of it and am vegetarian) but I've heard great things. There's also a shampoo called Phylia de M which I've read lots of positive reviews about and which works to reduce hair loss via fulvic acid. The only thing that puts me off is the price. My hair is still fluffy and crap and nothing like it used to be. I saw the rheumatologist the other week and she just suggested taking more folic acid but she didn't realise I'm already taking masses. I would also suggest a b-complex supplement as I believe that taking so much folic acid can unbalance the other b vitamins in our bodies. Also zinc (with a meal or it makes me sick).  
    • Posted

Many thanks for your comments on fish oils and shampoo Wheato.  I will look at these.  Pleased the Humira is working for you.  Hear so many mixed reviews about the biological meds.  Anyway my dose is reduced to 7.5 methotrexate every 2 weeks so I am pleased about that.  Hair is still a struggle.  Now coping with spots on the body   - always something!  Best wishes.
  • Posted

The only solution I found was to get iff the methotrexate chemo drug..I am feeking di much better withiut this immune system lowering drug, and refuse to use this option. You may surprise yourself by making the decision ti nit tske this strong medication that many also have decided not to tske. It is a personal decusion that has kept me in better health
    • Posted

Hi Anna. May I ask how long you were on Methotrexate for and the strength.  Thanks.
    • Posted

Hyes, I eas on this for nesrly 6 months and it was 17'5 g wkly.
  • Posted

I apologize for all the typing errors above..I am using a small phone to type, with very a very small keypad and letters, and poor visiin.
  • Posted

I started methotrexate injections December 2015. Finally started to notice improvement in February at 20mg/ weekly & now notice a significant loss of hair, hair breakage and lack of healthy hair. I am taking 3mg of folic acid daily. This is so concerning but my Rheumatologist next recommendations are to try an injectable biologic med Enbrel. This scares the shyt out of me.So today I go to my salonist and we will use an Olaplex treatment in hopes of restored, healthy hair as well as a new cut to account for the breakage. New to this blog/forum! Thanks for any feedback/discussion!

DJ

• Posted

Hi Janet, biologics are the only thing that has worked for me. I still take methatrexate as well but in a smaller dose (10mgs per week). The reason rheumatoligists often want us to stay on the methotrexate as well is because it works to stop your body from building up immunity to the biologics (Humira for me). I feel pretty much 100% on this combination and I wouldn't worry about taking the biologics if I were you - I only have to do mine once every two weeks and it's just painful for a few seconds. It's the methotrexate that's the horrible drug in my opinion but needs must. I'm grateful to be in remission.

My hair is still crap! I've just gone down from 12.5 to 10mg methotrexate so hoping this might help. I've also started taking daily fish oil in very high doses (it's called Lion Heart) and hoping this will help my skin, hair and joints. I've recently started getting rosacea (another inflammatory condition) and general dry skin. I wish you all the best with your treatment (and hair!). 

• Posted

Hi Janet, Did the Olaplex make any difference to your hair? I have been on weekly dose of 20mg Methotrexate + 5mg Folic acid 5 days a week for about 18 months and continue to have hair loss and breakage. I wondered if the Olaplex helped? Anything else you have tried? 
    • Posted

Sorry I'm just responding! Yes!! The Olaplex is awesome! I purchased my own steps 1 & 2 for my hairdresser to use ( this will last one-2 years! I also purchased step #3 to use once weekly between my highlight/ color treatment!!!! So happy with my hair!!! I also just used step #3 on my daughters hair (age 15 never used chemicals) & her hair is even more healthy looking and feeling!!!! I purchased all of mine on Amazon for approx $140! But the first two steps will last over a year!!!!
    • Posted

Continued...

I also had my hair cut to where the breakage was more so in the back. An inverted bob cut so it still looks longer in the front and that helped to kindof start fresh!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing about the Olaplex!  I also lose hair from giving myself a shot of the methotrexate every week! But the worse part is hair breakage & fried looking ends. No matter how much I condition my hair it looks terrible especially the ends! Do you color your hair? I do about every 5-6 weeks, so I am sure that doesn't help! I can't wait to try the olaplex...😊

• Posted

Hi Janet,

It might be the Humira that is stopping your hair growing back to normal since your mtx dose is quite low now. I've read some reviews where people say that it has affected their hair 😦

I came off the mtx a few months ago because I really couldn't handle it anymore and I'm due to start humira, which I am now a bit worried about .. my hair is just starting to grow back.

Seems really silly to get upset over hair loss but it I get so annoyed about it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.