Starting Escitalopram

Posted , 54 users are following.

I am due to start taking Escitalopram 10mg,but thinking of halving these for the first week,as scared of side effects. Any advice on how good these tablets are for anxiety,also any initial side effects to look out for,would be gratefully received. I was on Citalopram for 19 years,but changed to Sertraline this summer as Citalopram had seemed to stop working. Unfortunately after 5 weeks the Sertraline caused chronic,debilitating diarrhoea,so came off that two weeks ago. I would love to be well for Christmas,but at the moment the thought of it just panics me :-( x

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Justine. i have been on escitalopram for about 8yrs. i am 43 & have suffered bouts of anxiety & depression since age 19. i was on citalopram before this but they made me feel worse so i was switched to escitalopram. i started to feel noticeably better after about 4wks. the side effects i got were headaches for 1st couple of weeks which disappeared as my body got used to them, my pupils were a bit dilated/wobbly for 1st week but that disappeared too, & i occasionally get hot sweats/flushes but nothing too bothersome compared to other anti depressants i have had in the past. i find this medication good for me. it makes me feel like the true me again. no more tearfulness, negativity, over worrying, i am able to deal with everyday stress, communicate confidently with people, & sleep properly. i have recently been on the max 20mg daily due to ongoing illness to stop me worrying out of control & getting too down about my illness, enabling me to carry on working & keep a sensible perspective on everything. i am just reducing to 15mg this week (so far so good). my usual maintenance dose is 10-15mg daily which keeps me stable. one other thing i highly recommend is one to one cbt (cognitive behaviour therapy). i was referred by my gp for this about 3yrs ago & it was genuinely life changing. to describe it, you are taught to retrain your thoughts & STOP negative thoughts/worries that lead to anxiety/depression in their tracks. it stops you thinking about what probably won't happen, & what is more realistically likely to happen. it stops you going into "what if that happens" "what will people think" kind of thoughts that can lead you into an anxious spiral. as you probably know with anxiety & depression we tend to think of the worst possibility & worry about it really happening in many situations. i have applied what i learnt from cbt in so many situations at work, problem solving, family disputes etc. your gp can refer you. i hope this helps, persevere with you meds for at least 4wks & see how feel. if you're worried about the dose, you could split the 10mg & try 5mg for 1st 3 or 4 days, then go upto your prescribed 10mg. good luck xx
    • Posted

Hi looloo,thank you very much for your reply. I'm so pleased to hear Escitalopram has been good for you,it gives me confidence. I'm sorry you have suffered with anxiety and depression for so long,and that you have an ongoing illness (I hope that gets sorted too). A similar experience in the fact I am 42 and I started taking anti depressants at the age of 19. Your cbt experience sounds amazing,and the fact it can retrain your thoughts,it would be lovely to stop the irrational thoughts,panic and negative worries. I am so pleased it has helped you in such a big way. My gp

has referred me to 'Time to Talk' and I have been accepted for cbt therapy,so on the waiting list for appointments. Thanks again for your positive response,kind regards Justine. PS.do you take the Escitalopram am or pm?

• Posted

Hello,

I am glad you shared this post.

I am taking Lexapro, but the move to 30mg seems to have caused bad diarrhea.

I am waiting for a call back from my psych md now.

I went from 10mg to 20mg and now 30mg. That is when the diarrhea stated.

But m main point was to thank you for sharing.

Jessie

• Posted

I'm also about to go up to 30mg lexapro from 20mg but I'm scared as I've just started being able to drive and got back to work after 10 months I don't want bad side effect. Did u get the dizziness etc again? Did u get benefit going up 30mg

• Posted

I just started taking Lexapro last night and i wasnt able to sleep a bit. I had this anxious feeling and also started sweating. When i got out of bed the next morning I was soo wired and didnt have an appetite all day. How soon am I going to feel better? Or qt least sleep?
    • Posted

All good to hear. Just started escitalopram. Was on regular citalopram for awhile. Generic for celexa. 
    • Posted

Yea I stayed wide awake for 4 hours the first night. Knocked it down to 10 mg. Hope all side effects subside soon. Cause I think I'll like it

• Posted

hi, i just started 5 mg and gave me diarrhea 2 days in. has your symptoms improved?

• Posted

Dear Justine,

It's alway a bit scary to start meds, I hope that the Escitalopram will work for you. I've been on Cipralex (same medication as Escitalopram) for the last 5 years, at an dose of 10 and 20 mg respectively. This has been the gentlest medication to date and has few side effects.  At 20 mg. I experienced heavy sweating, which was alleviated when we lower the dose to 10 mg. 

I have found a reduction in anxiety and depression without feeling medicated. I have been on numerous antidepressents and benzodyazipines for anxiety / depression. Now I just take the

• Posted

Oops hit the wrong key. Continued.. Now I take 20 mg Escitalopram, Vitamin D and use a SAD Lite (full spectrum).  The only side effect I experience on the med wer
    • Posted

Hi Karin,thank you for your reply. I am relieved to hear Escitalopram is one of the gentlest meds you have experienced and that it has worked for you. Was just a bit panicked after the Sertraline experience,which was far too activating for me in every which way. Pleased to hear a SAD light helps too,and the sunshine vitamin. Kind regards,Justine
    • Posted

I think I get it. NOw. Where do you buy them ?
  • Posted

Hope our replies help to build confidence in trying a new drug. It's scarry when you've had medications with strong side effects - I am reticent to try new meds from my own new experiences.  Let us know how the Escitalopram works for you. kl
    • Posted

Thank you Karin,I will. This forum has been invaluable,not just for advice and information,but for the fact of not being alone with anxiety. People are truly lovely on here x
    • Posted

Hi Justine I am just wandering how the esitalopram worked for you as my dr wants me to change to this
    • Posted

Hi Pam,Escitalopram has worked well for me previously. Just started back on it since Christmas,currently on 10mg,but considering upping to 15mg. It is very well tolerated with fewer side effects. What medication are you currently taking?
    • Posted

Hi Justine I am currently on 200 mg of Zoloft.i started back in October on 100mg then was increased to 150mg and have been on 200 mg since jan 8.Still I have horrible anxiety and panic attacks.I have a dr appointment on Monday and he had said maybe changing to lexapro.I am just scared of the change
    • Posted

Hi holler

I just started taking escitalopram 5mg 2days ago how well dose this work for anxiety I haven't been having the best experience with this by now you are a year in can you give me some advice on this early stages I'm encountering

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

I started on 5mg Lexapro back in December. The first week was rough as I felt my anxiety initially worsened. Things settled down and then it worked well for a few weeks but I still needed to increase to 10mg which my doctor had always felt would be the case. Again the first week on 10mg was rough but since then it’s been wonderful. I really feel like it saved my life as I know it and I am myself again. Hang in there!!

• Posted

Pam. I’m same as you were with Sertraline. Did all work out for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.