will i gain weight with venlafaxine need good advice

Posted , 40 users are following.

i have just been prescribed ven. but i am terrified of gaining weight as i have lost a lot of weight in the past i would appreciate your experiences regarding this topic thanks

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,thanks however I am currently on 150 venlafaxine...due to suffering severe panic disorder for over a year. I was prescribed diazapam before and became adaddicted which was also a nightmare to come off from but trough determination managed it as although they helped at first I got far worse as you can imagine. I feel the venlafaxine are working for my anxiety to some degree but I get angry very quickly and it's affected relationships. Don't know what to do as I'm scared coming off them will make my condition bad again and I simply could not cope with that again it makes me think about doing myself in..I hate it because I've always been happy in the past.it all started after a bad flight and a 2hr panic attack. I had had them before but this was different and left me a nervous wreck. ??? This post is only the tip of the iceberg as far as my confusion and feelings are concerned
    • Posted

Effexor does NOT make u gain weight
    • Posted

I'm on these for same reason as u and they are helping me so much smile how are u getting on??
    • Posted

Hi jim early stages then with ven. It really works differently with the individual as I was and low doses for 20 years. I gained weight but not sure if it was down to the meds or just comfort eating!!!!!! However the doc did warn me that I may gain some weight. Iwould suggest just keep talking to your GP but make sure it's one who is knowledgeable and understanding as some (especially young) seem to do the easy option with out the impact. I would also suggest that you ask the doc for counselling if it works for you as that's what got me over my issues and in a place to come off venfinally. It's been a struggle coming off but nothing like the struggle I have heard people have had on here.
    • Posted

Yes, it most certainly does make you gain weight!

I've been on Ven for 6 months now after being on Duloxetine for many years. Dose is currently 150mg a day but am tapering down to nothing under medical guidance after I realised it truly was a horrible, horrible drug.

I've put on a huge amount of weight in this time although I eat healthily and never exceed around 1,500 cals. a day. And I exercise regulalrly to the full extent my calorie intake will allow.

Side effects for me have been depression (go figure!), memory loss, poor concentration, loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, chronic fatigue, insomia, visual disturbance, aching joints and muscles, and of course weight again.

Withdrawal symptons added to the above now include brain zaps and really weird dreams (not all unpleasant!) but I also take Diphenhydramine HCl (Nytol or Boots Sleepeze in the UK) which I read online helps alleviate some of the withdrawal symptoms, which it does.

I really don't understand how drug companies are allowed to sell drugs like these, and how doctors can continue to prescribe them although a raft of 'incentives' probably helps!

And what's worse is that most doctors are also clueless as to how to come off them!

So let's try and get this poison banned!

• Posted

I started 75mg in may and have put on a substantial amount of weight already. sad I am in the process of being weened off and now i have a ton of work to do to get this weight off. To top it off I cant have gluten thats why I know this medication has caused me to gain. I also had depression, anxiety, memory loss just from walking from one room to another and I was extremely lazy or unmotivated I just couldn't get myself to do anything but go to work and come home. I feel like I have more side effects than benefits, it did help me fall asleep at night but that's about it.

As for being weened my dr told me to take one every other day for 2 weeks and then one on Monday and Thursday on the 3rd week I a currently on day 5 of being weened off.

• Posted

Call your doctor asap and get into see him. Explain to his nurse or secretary how bad you're feeling. I've been there before from medication and you need to get help right away. Take care.
    • Posted

I have ALWAYS been 120 pounds but after starting effector I am now 165 pounds so how does it not make you gain weight?
    • Posted

Mine DID! Everyones experience is different. I had a weird sidea effect of sleep walking and i was eating while I was sleep walking. So yes, it can.
    • Posted

80% of weight loss (or weight gain) is determined by WHAT WE EAT!

So perhaps you might consider that your eating habits are what is causing your weight gain and not the Effexor. I'm on 75mg - no weight gain but my I watch what I eat.

• Posted

Chances are Effexor WILL make you gain weight! Some may not...but everyone I talk to sure made them gain!!
  • Posted

I have been on Venlafixine since April/May last year, due to a relationship break-up and post trauma !  I built up dosage gradually - now on slow release 150mg or is it 160mg, get mixed up between these and the propranalol !  I must say that both have been a God-send and helped me get through awful panic/anxiety attacks !  Pre taking these I could barely function, I had trialled others before these two and was all over the place emotionally !  Now though, almost a year later - I feel I want to come off, don't like being drug dependent to make me function " normally ", yeah- whatever normal is huh ?  Anyway, I am worried about withdrawal and panic/anxiety coming back but hopefully they can phase in some lesser medication that will make the transition a good one ?  
  • Posted

Hi, well I must say that I have noticed a lot of weight gain around my normally comfortable middle !  I now have excess flesh where once was quite flat, I can only attribute it to the meds, as I am a very disciplined eater !!  Going to see about coming off these and my other med soon, as have been on both almost a year !  My weight has not gone up at all but shifted to my waist area, and it is horrible !
  • Posted

Hiya all. I ve just stubbled across this site for information and reassurance. I too have been on venafaxine 150. i have put on 2 stone. I have been withdrawing for the last 3 weeks. The withdrawal has been awfull but hopefully nearly there. I have come off them as I was sweating terribly and am full of boils and spots in sweaty places. Been on fluoxetine for many years but this withdrawal from the venlafaxine has been the worst. Vomiting, dizziness, vertigo.  glad its nearly over and hope you are all managing ok. Definatley worked for the depression and anxiety but woud not use it again. The withdrawal was awfull and got no help as doctors said it was just a bug. After researching on the internet, i realised the withdrawal sypmtons are very common. x
  • Posted

hi to everyone on here,

just wanted to tell my story of how venlafaxine has affected me. iv been on it for little over a year, a lot has changer from when i started on it.  i went to see my mental health doctor because i was an emotional wreak, i cried all the time felt depressed ,wanted to kill myself. i  have small children and i knew i had to do something. they put me on venlafaxine. right from the first week i could feel a difference . i was able to think, control my emotions i felt great. now that i have been on it for  over a yesr i think i have more control of my self and life as well. so im taking my self off of it and havent taken them for a week now. i did feel a little emotional and also felt a little panic but nothing i wasent able to correct and control myself. the reason i want to get off the meds is because in that little time of taking them i gained 50 pounds! and now that is more of an issue then my mental health. one affects the other...and i would recommend venlafaxine but keep in mind you will gain weight and it is best used as a short term fix for your emotional health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.