Prescribed Mebeverine Hydrochloride-4yrs of bloating & w

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering from bloating and wind for 4 years. Im 22 and it has restricted my confidence at work and my social life. I have been tested as non-coeliac and have tried cutting out wheat and dairy. I have been prescribed Mebeverine Hydrochloride in response to whether these are the effects of IBS. I have been taking them for over a week and so far my symptons have not decreased. Has anyone been prescribed this medication for wind or have any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If they are not working I'd try something herbal, maybe a digestive enzyme or acidophilus. Enteric peppermint is also very good. All of these are available from Holland and Barrett.
  • Posted

Try going on the Great taste no pain website. I suffered for years with similar symptons and since going on this easy way of eating have had no problems at all.
  • Posted

Hi. Similar story. I have also had severe bloating for a couple of years now, im 20, female. It's literally ruining my life. Have just been prescribed mebeverine, will try it and hope for the best. Peppermint tablets did nothing for me. have you had any success with any other treatments? be interested to know how you're getting on I have a lot of sympathy for you
  • Posted

I had tummy problems to say the least and one GP suspected IBS, I was wondering about various intolerances, allergies etc.. until by "chance" (blood test taken in a private hospital in Hemel Hempstead, sent to US) discovered that I was strongly allergic to baker's yeast! (didn't even know that sort of allergy existed.)

After avoiding yeast i.e. using soda bread/yeast free bread, and reading labels to cut it out.. and limiting sugar (that ''feeds'' the yeast growth) to minimum, I'm happy to report that I am not bloated, my weight has gone down to what it used to be prior to these problems and I don't need to run to the loo.. another thing that I discovered by a blood test was a genetically inheritent lactose intolerance.. In short, I'd recommend to chect if you are allergic to yeast and/or milk, or intolerant to lactose.

I hope this helps you ladies and instead of an IBS ''diagnosis'' you will get better by avoiding one of the above.

• Posted

namasty.i think u have gardiasis or IBS.PLZ ALSO ADD METRONEDAZOL 500MG(PLZ AVOID ALCHOL INTAKE DURING MEDICATION) TWICE A DAY FOR 10 DAYS AND INCREASE FIBER DIETS
  • Posted

AFter several years of IBS symptoms I went to a naturopath to check whether I was on the right track avoiding wheat and dairy. I didn't know it was classed as "IBS" just wanted to get the bottom of it, why.Iknew i'd had those symptoms for years tho. Started herbs (for parasites that i'd been told about by someone else when I was pregnant but couldn't be treated til after preg. Had worked sheep on and off for years and got a dysentery for a while whilst travelling in Malawi) Herbs helped somewhat, finally decided to try antibiotics (after 20 yrs of refusing to have any for anything) and did help, got rid of one bug that was evident in stool culture in Australia. Now stool culture negative here but symptoms still debilitating. Am back on herbs (expensive) and have avoided wheat and dairy for years but seems to be getting worse. Sleep deprivation is the worst, getting woken up by gripey pains at 4am seems to be more frequent. Dr has prescribed Mebeverine but reluctant to start any medium/long term drugs. So will see what herbs can do again. My child has similar symptoms so we're both on herbs at present and usually on vitamins, probiotics wheat/dairy free diet. Originally went to GP to se if can get Gluten Free food on prescription coz it is expensitve. Don't feel it's necessary to get gastroscopy/colonoscopy to confrim coeliac as have had blood test. I'm sure it's IBS symptoms from parasites/damage to gut. Anyone got any ideas? Don't go diving in Lake Malawi! That's where I got the original problem from I think. It's used to wash clothes in etc which should have warned me and santitation wasn't brilliant in that area when I was there.
  • Posted

Hello I was prescribed this drug too couple of days ago but decided to look for some reviews first , I'm glad I did , don't think I wanna make my bloating and pain worse, I have been suffering from it for a few years now an have tried everything, change of diet and different detoxes and I have to say that since I started my intense parasite cleanse I have been feeling much better and I haven't even finish it yet I'm om my 5 days rest In the middle, I really recommend to clean your colon, then do a parasite cleanse (I'm using paragone) it's easy and very complete , and last clean your liver and your kidneys!

Hope this help please let me know as I feel so much better now I though I shared it with everybody suffering from bloating and abdominal discomfort .

Good luck :D

Isabel

• Posted

Yes have been on anti parasite herbs again now for couple of months now and feel sooooo much better. No waking in middle of the night due to lower abdominal activity/cramps/wind. My weight seems to be staying on even despite some added stress. Would highly recommend seeing a herbalist or naturopath. Not sure how long I will need to stay on them but both me and my daughter seem to be doing much better. The only other thing I haven't tried recently is going fully gluten free again (I eat oats) and using colloidal silver again internally and in the bath. This is an old fashioned antibiotic preparation but expensive ish. Good luck all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.