Pilar pain after surgery any effective treatment?

Posted , 15 users are following.

This is my week 10 after surgery but I am still having a lot of pilar pain specially at night. 

All I am taking at the moment is Ibuprofen and paracetamol which released pain for a few hours but please please I will like to know if is anything else that I can do or take??  that any of you found helpful to improve the situation. This is getting very frustrating one day I feel like I am improving and the next one I am in agony!! Any suggestion will be really appreciate it!! Thanks U

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie.  I am only 10 days post op so I'm afraid I can't help. I do hope this resolves for you over time. So that I know in case it happens to me, can you describe the symptoms of pillar pain?  
  • Posted

Hi Marie, I feel your pain. Sadly, quite literally.  This is going to be a long road for both of us but I've gotten some great help here on the forum.  If you can find them, get a rubber (they come in various levels of firmness) spiked physical therapy balls.  The main idea is to desensitize the hand because right now your nerves are on edge.  Lightly rubbing your hand on a variety of textures will help with that.  The balls help some, your jeans, a sweater, your coat, seat of your car, anything that has a different texture from the last thing you touched.  Gentle stretches help some, too.  My GP and his nurse (BEST Dr and nurse ever) also told me to baby the hand as far as lifting and pushing.  Use your good hand to open doors, pick up anything weighing more than a pound or two. I am finding the different texture thing is helping some.  At this point I'll take any relief I can get. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Thanks Rena an Jacquis for you very quick respond!!

Rena, pillar pain is a very sharp pain on the side of the scarf, as far as can read around its a hit and miss so just the some people gets it :-( hope you are no one of us, very good luck to you. 

Jacquis I straight way started doing the exercises u r suggesting do you do this three times a day or is it times frames? U are so lucky getting a good Dr. Mine one doesn't seem to want to know abou my situation! Are u taking anything else but ibuprofen?? Read in forum that cause is nerve pain other medications should be taken? Please let me know about u progress I will let u know about mine and thanks again for the kindness and taking time to reply!!! 

• Posted

Hi Marie

My GP is the one helping me.  My surgeon is a complete douche bag who really doesn't care and he hasn't offered any help at all.  The surgeon never gave me exercises, he never gave me any assistance with this at all.  He asked me if I was taking the Norco he prescribed and I said no, because it wasn't helping with the pain and I didn't see the point in loading my body with drugs that weren't helping. His less than brilliant answer was that even if I didn't feel it was helping I should still take it because it was in his words "doing something".  Seriously, I've never been so angry in my life.  I am so thankful for my GP and his nurse.  I wish for you that you had another Dr to turn to for help.

Even though I'm diabetic I am trying prednisone.  At the risk of high blood sugar the prednisone is helping a little but I don't know how much or if it's worth the higher sugar levels.  I'll be making a final decision on that tomorrrow at the latest.  I haven't been able to find out anything on other medications. If you hear of anything specific let me know and I'll do the same.

My pillar pain is now starting to move around to different areas on my hand and once in awhile it shoots up my arm.  I've tried wrapping it, icing it, and each of those things helps here and there but not consistently. My motto at this point is to continue research and try anything that seems like it makes sense.  My GP is in agreement with that as long as I check with him before trying anything new. 

The exercises are something I do as often as I think about it.  II do them at work, when I'm parked at a stop light, while I'm watching TV.  Pretty much very, very often.  I figure the more, the better. 

Honestly I don't know if any of this is really going to work and the prognosis I have gotten is that it could be a year or more till I see a real change for the better but I have to keep it up.  If I don't, then it makes me a quitter and I can't be a quitter....know what I mean?

Today wasn't as good a day as yesterday. More pain and tenderness, so tonight I'm fighting the urge to throw in the towel but I know it will come and go and I have to just keep working on it.  It's kind of like the little engine that could.  We have to keep believing and holding each other up.  I have to believe somewhere in my heart that we can all overcome this and actually come out feeling better.

Hugs and like I said, let's stay in touch.

smile

Jacqui

• Posted

Hi Marie I am very sorry to read about your pain i have not had surgery I wear splints at night during sleeping was wearing them during the day but I feel I don't need them anymore during the day. I am a tradesman carpenter and also quit my job my carpel tunnel feels better but it is still there the splints and resting my hands seem to be helping that would be my advise to you rest hands and wear splints to keep them In a neutral position. Take pain killers but use the splints I beleive it took a long time to get carpel tunnel of repetitive use it will take a long time to get rid of the swelling by keeping oour wrists in a neutral position and stop doing what caused it. I was moderate left and right when tested what level are you good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi

i am the same had my op 23rd April and been in pain since, i have regional pain sydrome now. Not good at all, i find it best keep my hands warm gloves n gand warms help a lot but i know how u feel with the pain. It worries me if i be able to work again  i got over 20 years before i retire n i want to work to 😞 please keep in touch 

Andrea 😊

• Posted

Andrea, how was the CRPS diagnosed?  I've been getting concerned about that since the pain is creeping up my arm now and my hand is so senstitive to the touch. 
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replys and words of support! It's very comforting to know there are still a lot of good people around!

Today I am using my splint all day to try to rest my hand as much as I can! I also booked an appointment with Gp to look for extra advice! Will let you know what she says.

Jacqui I hope that you are having a better day today? I know how you feel it's very frustrating. Feels like we give one step forward and next day three back :-( 

• Posted

I'm wearing my splint today as well. It's awkward to type and I work on a computer 8 hours a day but it doesn't seem to be hurting as much with the splint on.  I do need to remember to take it off periodically to do the massage and so on to desenstize. 

Today is a little better, thanks.  I hope you are having a better day as well. 

I've also started a number of vitamins and supplements intended to build tendon strength again and muscle strength/mass.  Vitamins B6 and B12, D3, C, Magnesium Citrate (take in small amounts or it will give you the trots), and a good multi vitamin for women.  I figure it can't hurt, especially since I have diabetes

You're so right about the one step forward, three back.  We will get through this together!!!! smile

• Posted

Good luck, yes please let us know how u get on at docs , 😊👍

Andrea 

• Posted

I had surgery 10 months ago, still suffering from pillar pain and have lumps on my lower palms from scar tissue. I don't know where to turn,. When thru about 6 -8 therepy sessions. 4 months ago it helped alittle. Going back to surgeon this coming week (3-30-2016) to see what the what can be done. I work in a plastics fabrication shop using my hands constantly. Can't take this much longer.

I was never told prior to surgery that this could be a problem. Regret this surgery on both of my hands.

• Posted

Hi

Wondering how if the pillar pain ever resolved itself. I'm 10mths post op and have the same symptoms.

Thanks lucy

• Posted

Hi ,

Sorry to hear about your pillar pain. I had open Ctr on my right hand 6months ago and on my left 6days ago. Now on my first hand I did occupational therapy. And I'm skipping it on my left. It seemed as though the ultra sound kept my hand swollen and aggravated the pillar pain. Now on my left I'm wearing an edema glove and just doing tendon glides and mobility exercises. I'm farther along at 6days on this hand than I was at 3weeks on the prior. Granted I still have stitches but I have zero pain in the left hand. I still experience pillar pain in the right sporadically.

I'm not sure if there was a moral to all of that. But if I had a third hand I would skip the occupational therapy and go with my glove, tendon glides, and stretching. Ohhh ice ice ice.

Mike.

• Posted

Today is 1/22/17 . Any updates on how your recovery has been since your Pilar pain post? I have had both carpultunnle done in hands. Left 11/17/16 and right 12/15/16 .my main concern right now is that if I need to push up from my palm of my hand it's dreadful w/ pain at the heel.

• Posted

Hello sans15, I had my Carpal Tunnel Release surgery March 17, 2017. After my surgery and for about 6 weeks, I thought it was the best thing I ever done. Today is May 29th, 2017, and the pain in the heel of my pain is awful and I can't get up using my hand or palm and press up. I don't know what to do. My Orthopedic surgeon says this is a normal part of recovery, that it will get worse before it gets better, and to massage it. My left hand that needs surgery aches and has no strength to massage my right palm. I'm afraid my scar tissue is getting bigger as it's getting lumpier. Ugh! I am NOT having the second surgery. Will the corticosteroid shots help pillar pain? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.