I feel like an actor...playing the part of not being in pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got a vascular ulcer on my leg that won't bloody heal,it's been there for

4 yrs..it's getting harder to pretend I'm fine and act like lm doing fine...

Its hard to feel attractive when I'm in so much pain .the longer this goes on 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, i can relate to how you are feeling i think . i too have a leg ulcer that wont heal. it just appeared on my leg 3+ years ago , however it was only diagnosed as an ulcer 6 months ago despite me complaining of how severe the pain gets to my gp.tramadol and morphine have failed to reduce the pain when it gets bad.i live alone so i guess thats a blessing in a way with regards to me not being seen as a wimp when the pain gets so severe and constant and the hours go by with no let up what so ever , i would feel ashamed if someone fell witness to my situation, so i put a brave face on when in public, but for how much longer i really dont know. i have no idea if anyone will read this , so il just say no more.....marc
    • Posted

Hi Marc, replied via jackie's post.

i know exactly how you feel

my sympathy for your situation I think all ulcer sufferers feel just the same, you're not alone.

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I too live alone and behind closed doors I am an absolute baby!

i have had a Venus ulcer for 11 months now and the pain is horrendous, painkillers, antibiotics, compression stockings nothing is making it better.

the worst thing is my practice don't seem that bothered, I have it dressed every two weeks and at home by me, it seems acceptable to just put up with it.

in this day and age you would think there were alternatives on offer.

some days I a, at the end of my tether but in public and at work I just put a brave face on.

how can you elevate your leg all day at work I certainly can't afford not to work, it's just a viscous circle.

you have my every sympathy.

• Posted

hi , Jane , my leg ulcer just appeared one day for no apparent reason yet 3+ years later i get asked by the nusre ` well how did you get this` in a manner that suggests it was my fault. i dont drink  , smoke and spent years following strict diets as a competative bodybodybuilder which kinda rules out any common only your self to blame diagnosis. all i know is thats it there and it hurts , it hurts alot. tramadol , morphine have had no effect what so ever when the pain is at its worse and its a dark lonely place to be especialy when trying to put a brave face on by suffering in silence. doctors should try pay more attention when the patient is talking. i,m not looking for sympathy i,m just trying make a difference.
    • Posted

Mine too,last March just before going to Mexico on holiday, the agony of that holiday, I went to the local Dr there who said Venus ulcer.

returning home the practice said yes and it could take about a year to heal, now I read of people never being free of this damn thing.

i too have had tea,fall, coco donor morphine nothing takes away the pain. I am now just living with the constant dressing, not getting it wet, no sei Ming, no holidays so debilitating.

i have never   smoked or  had bad curculation to my knowledge, just bad luck is all I get.

well next week I have asked to be referred to do done who can do more than pills and dressings.

will let you know if I get anything any different to the norm.

• Posted

hi, thanks for your time to reply , yeh trying to keep it dry is a nitemare lol chillin out in the bath just aint the same. thank you for the thought of letting me know . marc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.