Headache for 3 weeks and stiff/painful neck?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had this headache for just over 3 weeks now. It started out as a migraine and I was getting pain down my face. Went to the docs after 8 days & she said it was an ear infection. Went on a course of erythromycin for 7 days. They never worked. Went back. My temp was still high, ear inflamed and pain still in head (mainly at the back). Its now been just over 3 weeks and the pain is still there. When I lie down I have to make sure my head is straight, and even then my neck and head hurt. My neck feels quite stiff and my head feels so heavy. My headache gets worse when I move my neck or move in general. Like loads of pressure! I had blood tests done last time I went to the doctors to test for infection and they've all come back normal. I had a throat swab too but that result hadn't come back when I rang to find out the results. What could this be?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had similar type of neck pain and headache. Ended up being admitted to hospital, the pain was so bad. Nothing found, nothing done.

ive gone to a chiropractor and she's found d a problem in muscles across top of my back/ shoulders which have affected my neck. Places she said are affected, and how the pain travels from the neck along certain nerves are exactly where I told 4 doctors the pain was and none of them could identify it. 

So, pain makes us hold ourselves more stiffly, tensely, we might not always notice it but we do. This tightens up muscles and they have trouble relaxing. Mine was probably started by sanding 4 wooden floors and also throwing ball for dog!

I'd suggest you try: 

painkillers every four hours so pain doesn't get bad.

ice pack, wrapped in cloth on your upper back, and shoulders , across back of neck for 10 minutes every hour.

after the ice pack, GENTLY move your head right then left, nod up and down, slowly only as far as comfortable. And over to the side ( as if trying to rest ear in shoulder) my movement was tiny to .start with.

shrug your shoulders, rotate your arms. Relax and then put ice pack on when hour is up and repeat.

if it was an infection it would have shown up in blood tests and responded to antibiotics. You know it's nothing serious like meningitis

You might have sinus problems. This gives dreadful headache.

mix 1 mug tomato juice, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon hot sauce like Tabasco and 1 clove of garlic, crushed. Tastes better than it sounds! Warm in microwave. Drink 2 mugs 2 hours apart and any sinus problems will subside.

goid luck.

• Posted

Thats exactly what I said when I got my blood test back. The doctor gave me co-codamol and I was taking them as often as I could for the first 4/5 days. They never touched it. 

Will try these. Thank you. 

• Posted

Try some Migraleve tablets Jess ,lots including myself have what your describing ,I've got rhinitis and tinnitus ( hissing/ ringing ears ) ,drink lots of water stay hydrated as much as you can .ear infections do linger on ,not all antibiotics work .Neck ache I put frozen peas on mine ,works better than heat for me .Could be just a virus ,and in time it will just burn itself out .hope your feel better soon ,stay as warm as you can Jess .
    • Posted

I always drink plenty....I am now on penicillin for my 'ear infection'. How can it be an infection though if my blood results have come back clear? 

Do you also get a pain in your back (by shoulder blade) and a pain in your arm? My pain is all left sided, and the pain in my arm lingers around my elbow & I get a hot pins and needles sensation in my left hand (to touch my hand is cold). 

• Posted

Jess I get it from centre of neck,inch into back of hairline ,down to start top of shoulder .really painful ,I did have CT scan ,was found 2 neck bones out .Go ask your dr if you can get one done ,just another avenue .ive had neck pain now for 9 yrs ,now i think arthritis set it due to length of time ,not sure .

Your on an antibiotic for ear problem ,what I will tell you is check these or any meds out for Oxotoxicity ,as this can lead on to tinnitus ,PM me I will give you a link to check out meds ,hate for you to end up with that honest .

Drives me crazy daily .Pins and needles can be either your neck or just a trapped nerve.

• Posted

Hello Jess,

is pain there in one of the eyeball or nearby area? Do you have swelling on half of the head including neck and shoulder on one side? is pain always there or during teh sleep cycles only? I am a CH patient and when it occurs during sleep cycles, it results in swelling in half head, including neck and shoulder, pain in half face including jaw. but once cycle is over it is all gone.

• Posted

I do have pain behin my left eye and in my temple area on left side. Pain is at back of my head too though. No swelling in neck or head. Pain has been constant for just over 3 weeks. Sometimes its not as bad but its definately still there. Its affecting my sleep & I am having dizzy spells where it feels like the room is spinning. I'm also getting quite short of breath when these dizzy spells happen. Its hard for me to focus my eyes too. 

• Posted

Hello Jess, by back of the neck do you mean occipital area? if you have runnning or blocked nose (one of the nostrills), tearing eye and if you wake up in the middle of the sleep, it can be Cluster headache(CH). I have these symtoms since i was almost 18year old, but i am an episodic patient with a remission period of >23months. from last 3 episodes from 2010 I am taking medicated oxygen during the cycles(4 to 6weeks). I leaves no post headache affects else I also used to have the post headache hangovers(aura sort of) for couple of days.

Pls consult with a neuro, if this is CH then best is oxygen therapy, it is natural with no side effects + there wont be any post headache effects pain will go in 10 to min like anything.

• Posted

I read this over a year after you had posted it ! How did you get on and did your doctor diagnose the problem.

Hope you are better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.