Pituitary Apoplexy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 30 year old female. In 2008, I suffered pituitary apoplexy. I still can't believe I survived!!!! I had 2 children at the time and was still breastfeeding 2nd child when it happened. I'd had an extremely bad headache for about a week but just assumed it was a migraine until the pain was so bad that I could not keep still and I was vomiting constantly all night. I went to A+E and they tested for meningitis whilst doing CT and MRI scans. MRI showed a haemorrhage to an adenoma on the pituitary. Preliminary hormone profiles revealed hypopituitsm and I was put on his dose hydrocortisone. (further test showed lack of thyroxine, oestrogen, growth hormone, prolactin, etc..)

However, my sodium levels dropped dangerously low ( I should have been in a coma if not dead!) and I was admitted to the HIgh Dependency Unit and given an anaesthetic for pain relief as morphine wasn't getting to the pain. I was there for a week.

to cut a long story short, Thanks to the quick diagnosis and action of my hospital team and my God, I not only survived this, but I have just given birth to a healthy boy (hypopituitism obviously seriously effects fertility) and am able to feed him myself!!! There is hope!

I want to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to the NHS. Without the NHS I would not be here, my newest baby would not be here. My 2 year old and 4 year old would be without a mum and my husband without a wife. This story is a miracle and there is more than I can write here. My God is a Great Big God. He can do anything!!! When I read about pituitary apoplexy, I am so aware of how incredibly lucky I am to be alive!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem as detailed by you above but my problem started in 2009. My headache was so bad that even my GPs couldn't do anything about it. I searched online to try and understand what it really was. Having ruled out migraine, I realised my symptoms were similar to those of cluster headaches for my headaches were cyclical. After 6 weeks without reprieve, I woke up one morning so tired I could barely walk. I immediately phoned in sick and went to an A&E.

I was given oxygen which was quite a relief and tests were done. I was admitted and I thought it would be just for a day without knowing I would be in hospital for 6 days!. When blood tests were analysed and CT and MRI scans peformed, it was revealed that I was found to be hypopituitary. The next thing was to be HRT for the rest of my life! It was hard to take but 4 years later, I have managed to accept my new life. Every day seems to be a blessing. Two months ago my girlfriend told me she was pregnant, I could hardly believe it but I am also excited at the same time. I talked to my endo about it and he acknowledged that it's possible for sperm production to occur in my condition. Can't wait!

• Posted

Hi everyone, so I had a brain hemorrhage on my pituitary gland around 6yrs ago from falling and smacking my head (unusual I no)

I had no surgery the bleeding stopped over an hour while in ER, I stayed in hospital for 3days and then was released.

I was on hormones and steroids for maybe 2months, then I was almost back to normal, period came back and is fully insync now.

My question is can the hemorrhage have affect on me getting pregnant ,with my period I am 28-29 days always on time maybe once or twice I'm a day off.

I get all my period symptoms, swollen breasts, slight cramps etc.

Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance

Lxxx

• Posted

lydia2013 The hemorrhage itself would have nothing to do with whether or not you can get pregnant. It's your hormone levels that need to have returned to normal, which is easy enough to have tested. The more serious issue at hand is whether or not you had follow up after your bleed. Did you? A brain hemorrhage is a very serious event. Do you have a tumor on your pituitary gland? Or was it the gland itself that bled? It's important to know what's going on inside your cranium and whether you might need more treatment. This would be easy for you to clear up. Then you can begin your family worry free!
  • Posted

I'm so glad all turned well for you! It's amazing and awe inspiring that you survived such an ordeal! Someone really was looking out for you. My beloved husband was sent for an MRI last week. We were shocked to get a call from the endocrinologist the next day. His pituitary macroadenoma had hemorrhaged. The Doc asked my husband if any symptoms were occurring, severe headaches, confusion, changes in mood/personality. He's had mass effect seizures for quite some time, but about 2 weeks ago there was a much longer episode than usual. My husband was pretty confused afterwards-- but wouldn't go to the hospital. The Doctor agreed that's likely when the hemorrhage happened. He just wanted us to continue on as usual, not to come in early or institute any special care. I guess when it's over it's over and you can only be thankful for a happy outcome!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.