Co-proxamol

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can somebody help !  I have been taking co-prox for a number of years except for a period when I was tried on other painkillers to replace co-prox. The other painkillers were unsuitable for one reason or another but after a chat to my GP I was prescribed co-prox again. Great news you might think however it is was not to last as one of the GP's in my practice decided he could not condone my prescription( I have never consulted or seen this doctor ever) and so as a group the GP's have withdrawn it and no amount of pleading on my behalf has done any good. So the object of my discussion is to ask for advice from somebody out there on how to get Co-proxamol prescribed again as nothing else works.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Elaine, I greatly sympathise with you as I & thousands like us are have been in the same situation for years ! It IS possible for your GP to appeal to your local CCG for permission to prescribe Coprox. for you BECAUSE you do not benefit from ANY of the suggested alternatives BUT I suspect the process will be time consuming for them & MAY also have hidden financial effects & put them in the local Health authority's bad books !!! We also have to accept that the terms of the special prescription puts your GP in a very vulnerable position as he/she must accept FULL legal responsibility in the event of subsequent misuse of the tablets prescribed which could destroy the GP's career !!! I'm afraid the initial withdrawal has now snowballed & is now extended to Europe & further. All because Prof Hawton suggested Coproxamol should be RESTRICTED because so many people were accidentally or intentionally committing suicide with the tablets !! Actually, I understand that TOTAL suicide rates since, by ANY means, have not decreased & may have even increased ! May I suggest you ask your GP to refer you to a Pain Clinic if the pain is seriously affecting your well being ? Good luck ! June
    • Posted

"so many people were accidentally or intentionally committing suicide with the tablets"

The case which brought about the ban was the "alleged suicide" of Dr David Kelly, the Iraqi Weapons Inspector who was about to testify that Saddam and Iraq had NO WMD in 2007 or somewhen close to that year!   He was alleged to have taken 30 of his wife's Co-Prox and cut his wrists.

I was taken off Co-Prox and went through umpteen different drugs and combinations, none of which helped other than make me dopier than normal.   I was commenting to the pharmacist one day about the stopping of Co-Prox, and she told me they were still being manufactured and readily available if your GP would issue the prescription (on NHS not private prescription).

All that happened was that the licence for Co-Prox was withdrawn.   At that time, they were the analgesic of choice as they cost £0.20 per 100, but now because of the licence withdrawal, they cost £20 per 100.   They are the only painkiller that help my permanent chronic sciatica due to soft tissue damage which has caused adhesions to the nerve roots.   My GP believes the reason that they help is because they give me a slight high which relaxes the muscles.   Whilst taking Co-Prox (since 1986) I can live and work a comparatively normal life, they don't get rid of the pain, but take the edge off it enough to let me live a normal life.   Local Health Authorities don't like them being issued, as the licence has been withdrawn, but they are freely available if you can get your GP to prescribe them.   I hope this helps you and many others who are being denied the benefit of this excellent drug.   At the time of withdrawal of the licence, around 400 people a year allegedly committed suicide/accidentally fatally overdosed.   Now Tramadol are commonly prescribed in the place of Co-Prox, but since May 2014 Tramadol has been made a Section 3 controlled drug, and the overdose/suicide rate is around the 1000 mark.

• Posted

You're absolutely right, John. I too believe that the authorities used the association of Coproxamol with David Kelly's death, to cover up more sinister goings on concerning his death.You know, of course, that little evidence of toxicity with Coproxamol was discovered in his body on autopsy & that several senior medics challenged the diagnosis of suicide. Prof Hawton who wrote the relevant paper which was cited as evidence for the necessity to withdraw Coproxamol only suggested that it should be restricted, made more difficult to be obtained illegally. in fact he also pointed out that Coproxamol was second only to Amitryptiline as a drug used of suicide. Yet Amitryptiline is now recommended as an alternative drug along with Tramadol !!! There was absolutely no logic or common sense in the decision made to withdraw the licence. They had been pleading with the GPs to restrict prescriptions of Coproxamol for years because of it's misuse. If you remember, it was previously even available over the counter without prescription for many years as Distalgesic !! But GPs didn't listen, either arrogant, too busy or just couldn't be bothered. I think there was a degree of "We'll show you who's boss" in the MRHA's decision as well as rank ignorance, for they bounced the ball right back to the GPs by making them legally responsible for possible misuse consequences IF they choose to defy the health authorities. Now, it is only the most caring, defiant & courageous of GPs who will risk their careers to prescribe Coproxamol to patients they trust to use it responsibly. Consequently, there are thousands of patients, mainly elderly & chronic pain sufferers, who are unable to tolerate the side effects of the alternatives & so are living with inadequate pain relief & blighted lives. I feel very bitter about it, not just for myself but for all those people whose lives are miserable because of the incompetence of ignorant people in high places. But the ban on Coproxamol scare has snowballed now to Europe & further yet, to my knowledge, there has been no reduction in the total suicide rates in the UK, just different methods now & sadly, I believe the battle is now completely lost as ALL the medics opposing the ban have given up. The only thing which might turn the disasterous decision round would be if the alternative drugs like Tramadol etc. were discredited in some way. It's no different from fashions, or treatment of diseases, it goes in cycles so perhaps in a decade or two Coproxamol will again become the wonder analgesic with, as WE all know very few unpleasant side effects & wonderful pain relief. Then perhaps a drug company will put some money into finding an antidote to accidental/intentional overdose like they have with all other narcotics !! Bon courage !
    • Posted

Hello. I have just Googled  Co prox, and was directed here, (very 

surptised ) as NHS are the enemy in this case .of delisting the ONLY 

pain relieving drug without nasty side effects  Have to say that most G.Ps don't give a toss about side effects.

I had  By pass surgery  in 1990, my surgeon ,put me on co prox, and  

the pain was just wiped away .and stayed that way for years . I 

obviously did not take them constantly, but always had a pack to hand ,

for the twinges that came back periodically. 

I move abroad for some years and had no problems being presrcribed

the tab, until my return to the U.K and was given the ""WE can't 

let you have them any more"". 

My body reacts very badly to the OTHER suggested painkillers, that  

was offered, and in the end of the trials of Trying them all, I ended up

with Paracetamol . which as far as I am concerned are NOT pain

killers.

I am due a rather painful shoulder operation,which will not take place

unless I have the assurance from the surgeon, that CO PROX will be

made available for me .I won' t hold my breath, but the outcome will

be interesting, if only to see if surgeons have any say in pain control

of their patients 

• Posted

Dear Jaqueline 01135, I'm afraid you are bashing your head against a brick wall. Read the previous messages & you will see that the only way you would be able to get Coproxamol/Distalgesic is from a GP or a Consultant on private prescription, which is VERY unlikely these days.Consultant surgeons have absolutely no authority to prescribe them if the Hospital Trust in which they are working has blacklisted the drug. I don't know what the situation would be if you go to a Consultant surgeon as a PRIVATE patient, but then you'd have to pay for the consultation, AND the private prescription AND the drug, EACH TIME !!!
    • Posted

Yes, I know about the ""Flat Head " syndrome, it doesn't stop me asking

anybody, and everybody to prescribe it. Sort of makes me more determined

to find a medical who nods instead of shakes

Can never make my mind up whether doctors are one up, or one down 

from God  questionrolleyes

• Posted

Well, Good luck, jacqueline01135 ! If you find a loophole, please do let us all know ! If you don't find a loophole, then may I suggest GP referral to a Pain clinic, tho even they will probably only offer you either opiates or antidepressants with their side effects. Inadequate chronic pain relief is a BIG problem since the withdrawal of the Coproxamol licence & eventually the powers that be will HAVE to address & resolve it somehow, tho' I doubt if it will be in MY lifetime as I'm nearly 85 ! I'll go to my grave in chronic pain, I'm afraid, having fought the establishment & the medics for about six years ! I hope your shoulder op. is successful, please don't refuse it, that's cutting off your nose to spite your face !! Put your anger & energy into a battle you CAN win ! Best wishes !
    • Posted

Hello again, I was  just in the middle of a "" battle stations "" reply to 

you when it was whisked away ,don't suppose it was sent to you ? NO !!

I didn't think so.Shame really, I was in full sail about  "Those in Charge"

of our lives.

I was just  about to ring the Shoulder surgeon's secretary to see if I 

have to go through the Referal rigmarole again After the break, 

probably won't be anyone there.now.

I will send this before it gets snatched

Energy going into a car boot tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi jacqueline, the answer to whether doctors are one up or down from god is...What is the difference between god and a doctor... simple answer .... God knows he is not a doctor.  So what chance do the sufferes have.... none.
  • Posted

Hi June, Just an update to my situation. As advised I asked my GP, initially to ask the practice GPs to reconsider, and when that failed I asked for a referral to the pain clinic. I was seen by a lovely lady doctor who totally sympathised but was amazed when she heard that co-prox was still readily available. She said she would prescribe for me but the hospital did not carry it in their pharmacy. She did, however, write to my GP strongly suggesting that he prescribe it for me. Despite this the practice medics as a group, again refused. The final throw of the dice was an appeal to the CCG which, I have just been informed, has been turned down. I am absolutely gutted and feel so let down by the system and think I have reached the end of the line.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine. I'm sorry you seem to have hit the brick wall. It's very frustrating & disappointing but the process takes such a long time that by the time one reaches the goal, they have moved the goalposts !! Unfortunately, from what I gather, it WAS possible to appeal to the PCT for permission for the GP to prescribe Coprox on the NHS BUT since the CCGs took over I'm told by a reliable medical source that the CCG panels,, being Doctors themselves, automatically refuse every application ! Don't ask me why, I've given up trying to understand anybody's motivation, the whole thing is madness & without logic. The doctor in the pain clinic will be restricted by her contract with the hospital as the Health Trust will have blacklisted Coprox.. I THINK it is still possible for a doctor to write a private prescription because I know that street pharmacies can still obtain Coproxamol tho' not Distalgesic,  but I suspect that private prescriptions would now only be written by doctors who do not have a contract with the NHS. SO, you would have to go to a doctor in private practice who thinks it is financially worth his while & so is prepared to do it AND it will be VERY expensive because, as I explained to Jacqueline, you'll have to pay, EACH TIME you need tablets, for the consultation, prescription AND the drug at the pharmacy !! I'm sorry but, unless you find a loophole which we have all missed, it IS the end of the line for you as far as Coproxamol is concerned. I sincerely hope you will find a mild opiate alternative which won't give you too many unpleasant side effects. I'm afraid I haven't & to some extent, like all chronic pain sufferers, I am learning to live with the pain, but it's not easy & doesn't get easier with old age ! It's not fair but they are too clever & powerful & self motivated for us, I'm afraid. I honestly don't believe we can change thngs this time, sadly, so we MUST accept the situation & try to get on with our lives in the best way we can. Bon courage ! Best wishes.
    • Posted

No ! Jacqueline, it's the doctors who are all receiving the same legal advice, they are terrified of being sued if someone accidentally overdoses !!

Who can blame them in this money-grabbing litigious society ?

Blame the MHRA, THEY put the responsibility on the doctors !

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline, It is the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, which is the government authority which decides if a product on the market is safe & how it should be available. They decided that (based on the evidence from medical studies & papers) Coproxamol was NOT safe (because of the incidence of intentional & accidental deaths by its use) but agreed that doctors could still prescribe it BUT bear the legal responsibility for the possible consequences ! In other words the doctor is putting his career on the line for his patient ! I understand that the Medical Defence Union advises their members NOT to prescribe Coproxamol. There is lots of information on the internet if you have the time & inclination to 'google' it.
    • Posted

Thank you for the info ,none of which I was aware.I had heart surgery, and was given Co-P for pain, thank goodness, .It was like someone taking 

the creases out of my screwad up chest I continued taking it. as and 

when, and didn't have the slightest inclination to dispose of myself ,or 

suffer any side effects for the next 20 years

As like everything else .there's always a few that spoil things for the

rest of us.

Iv'e got a couple of hospital visits due, I will ask. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.