Unpleasant but not too bad

Posted , 3 users are following.

First, my sympathy to the folks on here who've had truly awful experiences.

I received a sigmoidoscopy today to investigate blood in my stool at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.  I was seen quickly, staff were professional, kind and I was well taken care of.

I required an enema prior to the procedure and was offered to choice to administer it myself or have the nurse do it.  More concered with having it done properly than my modesty, I had the nurse do it.  It was unpleasant and somewhat painful due to a tear but the nurse was accomodating and went at a pace I could handle.

For the sigmoidoscopy itself, I declined sedation as I was told it was not required for this procedure.  This was against the advice of 3 friends of mine, 2 nurses and a doctor.  In hindsight, I do wish I had listened.  While the procedure was not painful aside from the odd twinge, it was incredibly uncomfortable and I did have to make a concentrated effort to stay calm.  Sedation would have really helped with this and made my life and the doctors easier.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Great! This is what I fear ! So far I don't have the option for sedation ! I'm scared , I feel like canceling the app .
    • Posted

I can certainly understand and empathise with your fear.  I'm surprised they're offering no sedation especially if you're nervous.  Have you tried talking to the doctor/department doing the procedure directly about it?

As it goes, this was one of the more useful procedures in actually getting a proper diagnosis and the care I needed.  If you're in a similar boat, I'd strongly recommend not cancelling.

If you do have to go without sedation, I would describe the sensation as needing to pass but being unable to and cramping in the stomach.  It was relatively quick.  Around 5 minutes, start to finish and medical staff wil be on hand to chat with you and help keep you calm.

• Posted

Hello Chris,

Yes, I talked to the doc that's performing the procedure. He basically said that sedation is not necessary given the fact that he's only focusing on the lower rectum , this is where my symptoms are more common. Thank you for your response .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.