healing time after botox for anal fissure

Posted , 143 users are following.

Hi everyone!

So I went in for the botox treatment for my anal fissure around 3 weeks ago, after trying every cream for the past year or so to no avail. 

Since the treatment my pain is still there and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same treatment and was successful and how long it took for the fissure to heal?

Any advice truly appreciated!!

7 likes, 374 replies

374 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi,

i am am just about two weeks out from my botox injections and I still have pain and also some very slight bleeding from time to time.  The day after the injections, everything hurt worse than before the injections.  Then things seemed to get a bit better, but right now I think they are worse than before botox (on some days).  I am a few days away from the 2 week marker and wondering if life will ever get better.  Did things improve for you?

• Edited

Hi! I'm really sorry to hear that. I would live to tell you I'm completely cured but Unfortunatly I'm back to square one. My 3 month marker is up on the 12th Feb and since the botox is wearing off the bleeding has come back and the pain is also just as bad as before. During the treatment my bleeding stopped and the spasms eased ever so slightly but Unfortunatly I can't say it's done anything. When I see my surgeon on the 12th the only options are botox again or surgury - I'll keep you updated and I hope in time the pain will ease for you!
    • Posted

Hi I had Botox 1 week ago I'm wondering what happened since your first round of Botox failed? Did you have more Botox? Did it work?

• Posted

Hi. How are you doing?  I had Botox injection two weeks ago now (23rd Feb). Since then I’ve been back in to hospital and had to have an impacted stool manually removed !! Horrendous. Now I’m still quite sore but the piercing pains I were getting have dropped significantly. I think you’re a couple of weeks ahead of me. 
    • Posted

Right after the procedure?? What happened? My stools were a little weird too. But I’ve upped the stool softners and magnesium 
    • Posted

I had my procedure on the Friday and come the following Monday I was in A&E as things didn’t feel right. They sent me home to have an enema and I collapsed when I had it in agony and got taken back in in an ambulance. 1 long week later after having massive laxative doses and not moving, I was taken to theatre for a 10 min “look around” which lasted over two hours and things were manually removed. That was a week ago today. Feel very sore still and on high dose laxatives to try to keep soft etc. Fingers crossed Relief comes soon!

• Posted

It helped relax my muscles enough to get better. I still am not 100% percent however I feel so much better. In the beginning with the Botox shot, I was in severe pain for about 1 week. horrible. I think I had hemorrhoids as well and that just made it worse. I am very sensitive down there and everyone is different, so... You might not feel it like I did. Was it worth it? I would prefer to never have to do it again, but I know how that pain is and it does help, anything to get healing going in a positive direction. all the best to you. I understand.

• Posted

thanks for replying . The pain has just started to ease 6 days post op, but i have just started having bleeding again.

did you have that?

• Posted

yes, sometimes I still had a little blood- I thought it might have been from a hemorrhoid. ( again, very sensitive down there ) even with the botox, it was still a long process and even though I still have to watch, I believe the fissure has healed. I may at times have some discomfort but nothing like what I have gone thru.

• Posted

I was worried i undone the botox after seeing blood.

I am very sensitive in that area is as well.

How long did it take for the fissure to heal after the botox ? when did the pain go?

which stool softeners did you take? did you follow any diet? any tips for healing?

sorry for all the questions, its hard going through this.

I cant wait to finally heal. I have been going through this nightmare for over a year.

• Posted

I understand, nicole. I used collace as a stool softner. I used the nitroglycerin ointment for healing. ( calms the muscles down there, so that you can relax and heal ) I also tried many other things but that worked as did . Dr. Butlers Hemorrhoid and Fissure ointment. I thought that was pretty good. the Healing takes time, if it makes any sense, surrender into it. Again, I am not 100% at 2 + years into it but I would say 99.7% . If I have very loose stools or watery, I still feel discomfort. The thing is, I suffer, at times from IBS...so this does not help, at all. Anyway, I think trying to have that perfect BM is a goal. not too hard, not too soft and don't strain yourself. warm to hot baths help immensely. try not to eat foods that constipate and drink plenty of water to keep hydrated. it really is a process, the healing time but the body does want to heal, remember that. this is probably one of the most painful and uncomfortable things to have becuase one feels so very alone with pain and discomfort. you are not alone. I also used witchhazel on a moist wipe or the prep H wipes with witch hazel and aloe vera... I found them to be soothing. after you are all cleaned down there, I would fold one up and just have it in there, so to speak between my cheeks to help soothe the pain, which it did. I also took motrin. keep trying things, everyone is different and what worked for me, might not work for you. wishing you all the best. trying to be as relaxed as possible with a bowel movement and not straining is really extremely helpful ( though difficult to do when one is expecting pain- if after a BM the pain is severe and if you can... sit in a warm to hot tub for 10 to 15 minutes, if you can't the witch hazel wipes do help.

• Posted

hi

i had botox + eua (examination under anesthesia ) about a month ago ..1st week was painful but i did not have to stain bcoz i had been taking metamusil fiber .. but in 2nd week .. omg i was sweating and straining and it was horrible .. then i took miralax and colase along with metamusil .. 3rd week was fine .. i thought i was cured so i stop taking colase and next day it was horrible again .. i was wondering .. before procedure i had a normal bowel movement for at least 3 weeks without any medication or fiber .. i used to have pain once in a month .. but now my bowl habits are worse than before .. right now i am taking 4 colase (2 in morning , 2 at bedtime) + metamusil) also i am eating 7-8 prunes and condition is better .. but i am worried for how long i have to eat all these things .. i am hopeful that my fissure is gonna heal ..

reply will be appreciated.

• Edited

im very simular had botox 3 weeks ago im in severe pain off fissure and hemmorhoids

im taking laxative every day, lactalose, movicol , fibre supplemts everyday

im sure its not healthy for your bowel to take these things daily and long term

im having loads of time off work as struggle walking after bowrl movement for couple hours its painful with spasmns and stabbing pains its unbearable

any advice is much welcome 😦

• Posted

jenny, there is a good technique for hemorroids THD which is the most advanced I think, it wont hurt much after, with that get the LiS done, dont wait its my advice. I had LiS 17 days ago.

• Posted

jenny93938 ~ I ave begun taking docusate sodium with every meal... important to keep stool soft. Also trying to increase my water intake..so far so good. Fibre supplements made me go too often and too large in size. The only thing is make sure the Docusate Sodium is the gel capsules...nothing dry. Good luck, its working for me after my fissure started to re-open after botox in Aug.

• Edited

Hey I'm in the same situation had the op for fissure and skin tag removal 8 weeks ago.

Still off work

Still painful bms, pain after.

The worst thing is, it feels better in the afternoon so I get to bed with false hope and also last week I had loads of good days so I thought I was getting better.

I feel like my life is on hold and I can't get past the negative mindset.

I can walk small distances, but I am in pain.

I had my follow up last week and the surgeon seems to think I am healing and doesn't want to push further surgery so I have to wait until January.

However I just don't thihk it isn't healing!

I hope you're work are being okay with you? I'm struggling mentally as the whole process goes back as far as 4th August now so it's been ages.

Surgeon Told 10 weeks healing, it's been 8 and I can't see being healed in two weeks..

What have you been told about recovery time? Sending a hug x

• Posted

hi poppy

what op are you recovering from?

sending hugs to u also its terrible im better in the afternoon but also cant walk far at all x

• Posted

Fissure - I had the botox 7 weeks ago. Is that what you had? Xx

• Posted

yes i had same been a lot worse since

im looking into going private for pressure test then LIS i need it asap x

• Edited

I had mine done privately. What's a pressure test? And what's Lis?

I was told ten weeks recovery from botox and then he will consider further botox if it hasn't healed? I can't believe someone else is actually suffering from the same thing as me. Are you have salt baths? They are good for temp relief. Xx

• Posted

LIS is lateral internal sphinocomy (prob not spelt correctly)

the pressure test is where they insert a balloon type thing to check the presssure of the muscle as if you just have LIS as a woman it can leave you bowel incontinent

so im looking at going private fir that test if ok having the op on the nhs as consultant told me its inky a 2 week wait time

im hoping to sort asap as cant keep living as i am 😦

• Posted

I was told up to ten weeks healing time so perhaps you should wait and see if it gets any better?

I've never heard of the pressure test but that sounds good if it can insure avoiding future incontinentance. What was yours caused from if you don't mind me asking? And I'm guessing youre quite young?. Xx hope you're managing to do something nice today

• Posted

my consultant told me at 3/4 weeks if ive had no ease up at all from botox by now its not worked.

im 42 years old and ive suffered with this gor about 4 years i had a operation nothing to do with this and after suffered severe constipation and my consultant said that would be the cause as ive never been right since. it used to be a flair up every now and then and the gap got smaller so id suffer every few month then every month then id only have few days ok since botox every day has been bad

ive had a real bad day today cant walk sit or anything the pressure is unbearable

i cannot wait any longer to see if it works consultant agrees i cant walk properly drive go to work so i need it sorting asap im looking at going private now for speed x

• Posted

Oh god xxx sending love. So I have extremely painful mornings and bms and then it eases in the afternoon when I am able to walk about. However, I am unable to work as the spasms and pain are constant. I have been like this since August and feel at the end of my tether with it also. I totally understand your frustration.

Would you mind letting me know the outcome of the pressure test and then the lateral thing- if it's not too difficult for you do? Please?

It's just that I've been told to wait until after Christmas now to see if it heals (such a long wait) and then the surgeon will reevaluate with me if it hasn't healed.. Then they will do BOTOX AGAIN!

I just feel like my life is on hold so obviously I am keen to get well like yourself but like I said I have to wait to see If I heal without further surgery.

HAVE they told you that the lateral operation is the only option? Xx

• Posted

they told me if it hasnt worked forst time pointless doing botox again. x

• Posted

Maybe they want to try botox again as the lateral thing is a bit intense? I don't know. I'm sick of it x

• Posted

did the nitroglycerin work for the fissure?

• Posted

Yes, I found that it helped. The fissure took a very long time to heal but I have healed. However, I am still very diligent with keeping it healed, meaning... I strive for that perfect bowel movement. It has taken me a couple of years to heal. The botox shot I had was very painful but after a couple of weeks, I believe it helped but I would not do it again. I screamed for those first couple of weeks after the shot. Horrible. I thought the nitroglycerin was the best, all in all. Best of luck... I understand.

• Posted

What is nitroglycerin please?!

I am 8 weeks post botox and still suffering x

• Edited

it is an ointment that relaxes the muscles down there, so that you can relax and it can heal faster. it can give you a headache but it does not last. talk to you doctor about it. they have another ointment as well... that a compounding pharmacist can make up but I did not like it as much. that was called: Nifedipine with Lidocaine. ( I felt, for me, the nirtroclycerin worked better) Best of luck to you. Also I did use zinc oxide and that was a bit soothing as well as witch hazel wipes. I would make a little pad of it by folding it up and just stuck it between the cheeks, so to speak. also, the cleaner the area, down there... I found the pain lessened quicker. hang in there, it will get better. be very gentle with yourself. this is not an easy thing to go thru, by any means.

• Edited

I had botox thursday just gone. was sore on that day but then felt better .

however not sure if its physiological but I keep thinking about my fissure and it hurting. does anyone else feel this way .

I think there is an element of the brain being use to the pain and sending messages to your body as if it was in pain .

anyone else had this ?

doctor signed me off work for a week after botox however I am stil walking around as staying at home just becomes depressing

Its early days for me but i would say there has been no harm in me having the botox .

I'm sure there are numerous people who have been cured with botox but like someone said to me , with certain people once cured they just want to forget about the topic and hence wouldnt necessary comment if that makes sense

• Edited

its definitely a psychological issue.

personally im nervous to go to the loo in case it starts all over again. i panic if my routine is broken by a weekend away or not having access to the food im now eating.

hideous thing to go through and not given enough attention by the nhs.

• Posted

john glad I am not the only one

how did your botox go ?I presume you had botox as a way to treat the fissure . what was your experience

your right about disturbing routine . mrs wants to go away near xmas and I am worried that I will loose the routine and then have a fissure again

iv also been sent to pelvic physio team....not sure what they will teach me

• Edited

i had banding x6 on piles,fissure debrided(scrubbed clean) and botox in july. Thought i was going to go mad with pain for 10 days after. piles have never gone away.. ive cancelled two appointments recently as i cant afford to be off work anymore. Have booked new appointment for new year when im quieter.

my fissure happened again after heart surgery in july.. yes you couldnt make it up this year! Keep up with the fruit,fibre so on, its self help really. i manage on that and pain killers when needed. lots worse off but its a bloody horrible thing to go through.

all the best to anyone reading this, only we know what its like?

• Edited

I am actually looking at writing an email to the head of nhs or the equivalent and ask why this isnt treated as an emergency .

dont get me wrong hearr attack etc is more serious however fossures r very painful

if anyone has anymore botox experiences please do mention it on this group. the more we all talk the more it will help us mentally

• Edited

the only way i could speed up the process was to pay for a private consultation. he then booked me in the following week? Gp completely oblivious. nhs concentrates on pain relief and everything that relieves fissure pain makes it worse by blocking you up. nitro cream gives you severe headaches if you use too much!

you almost wish your gp could have the pain and anxiety for a day?

look after yourselves!

• Edited

i also got seen quicker on nhs by going private its cost me £500 so far but worth it to be seen as an emergency

• Edited

keep thinking positive . it's a nightmare having a fissure trust me . iv had it on and off for 4 years .

if only i knew and heard of ducloslase before as that's been a God send . if keeps your stools much softer . I use to use serna before and thag was great but no longer works as good as dulcolase

I had botox done exactly a week ago . now there are various views on these forums about it and most seem to be negative I find . however I guess there are lot of people who maybe once cured with botox will not return to these forums hence we can never measure how good it is

my botox was done in the uk on the nhs .

I was nervous as anything due to the fact I was being put to sleep for this and wanted the pain to stop . my pain would be I could not sit on hard surfaces and also a burning around the anus which was very severe .

my experience of the botox is if you have tolerated the pain of the fissure then you can tolerate the pain of the anesthetic and also the botox .

I wouldnt say I am fully cured but I am glad I had the botox . iv heard I need to wait a good few weeks to find any real healing of the fissure hence let's wait and see what happens

I can understand why consultants would rather try the botox over LIS surgery as botox apparently has less risks

my advice is

do not use hundreds of diff lotions down below. stick to one . I made mistake of using aloe vera , tea tea , diltazium , vaseline,, diluted dettol , sudocream .

I know they say Epson salts help but I found they would create the anus hole

keep stools as soft as possible and I found dulcoase doing that. I take 2 tablets before bed and also find in the morning take a warm pint glass of water and a small glass of prune juice helps things get soft .

try and keep the brain occupied otherwise fissures can effect u physiologically. I know its easier said than done but try and get on with life as much as u can

I love spicy food but have now finally reduced this by at least 80 percent. I also try and eat more vegetables

• Edited

hello

how are you doing? i finally went for a eua appointment this morning in Exeter. Saw a new surgeon who was great, very understanding and sympathetic. I thought i just had piles as the pain had subsided in the last couple of months, however he discovered while i was under that the fissure had not healed. He carried out the lis surgery, this is the small cut to relieve the pressure, and banded the piles. Ive been home for an hour and not in the agony i was after my previous treatment 6 months ago.

I made sure i came home with some real painkillers this time.

Will update on my progress.

Hoping you are all getting better or coping?!

regards john

• Posted

Have you been seen yet? What are you having done?

I had botox for fissure 5 days ago. The first 2 days were hell. I ended up in hospital for the pain. But there was nothing they could do.

I am now at home trying to recover. Bms still very painful, even though its very soft due to the laxatives, softener and diet. I have bath after every bm.

I just want to feel normal again ASAP does anyone know how long it's going to take? Please tell me your experience.

• Posted

hello lis

perhaps you can get some rectogesic to try? just use a small amount wearing a glove or cling film on your finger as its absorbed through the skin. it should subdue the pain a bit,i used it at night during the worst times to get a bit of sleep.

i thought my fissure had healed after six months but it hadnt although the pain had subsided. i had the cut in the muscle done tuesday and banding of piles. i was sent home with tramadol which has killed the pain but makes me feel sick.

every one is different. keep up with the diet and laxatives,its one day at a time. bless you i hope you will soon feel better.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply John, I did have the rectogesic a few months ago but it made me very sick.

I have got lidocaine gel from the hospital which is basically anaesthetic and does the trick. I dread it running out.

How are you after the op? Did you have botox before?

• Posted

hello

yes i had botox before. in the first instance it was effective. in the second not so much.

im sore but not the mind blowing pain of 6 months ago.

• Posted

john would you be kind enough to share your experience? as in u mentioned botox was effective first time round so how long did you have the first fissure and how long after was the botox done ?

when and how did the botox come back?

did u say you have now had Lis surgery?

are you uk based ?

• Edited

Hi John,

So I am having more surgery (botox) as fissure is still there and I am unable to work.

Surgeon hasn't said what happens if it doesnt work????

It's now 7 months with no exercise, no proper social life and no early starts as pain is too bad in morning.

Not really sure what to say. Just don't understand. Thought i was rather fit and healthy until this. Feel like I am being punished for something x

• Posted

poppy u have messaged me rather than john but I am sure john will see it and response

for me.ppersonally you have to try and get on with things which is easier said than done

I was a bodybuilder before this in food shape. however due to all this I have lost the muscle and instead piled on the pounds as I stayed at home miserable

please try and get on with your life and think positive.

botox hasnt made me 100 percent but it's better than before

• Posted

Can I ask how many times you have had botox done? How much better are you now? You said not 100% but are you in a good place now?

I think you're right about trying to get on with life. I've had terrible pain with the fissure but tried to put it out of my mind when I was at work.

• Posted

iv had it the once .

I had a fissure before and it healed with diltazium

however due to high stress levels in aug 2019 I got a nasty fissure due to hard stools which woukdnt come out .

the pain was bad and then went away for a month but then returned

this point went to speak to the consultant on nhs and they stated they wanted to do colonoscopy

now after than colonoscopy is where the burning started . so the ooosnscopy was negative but the brining now was horrendous and painful.

then last month December 11th I had botox done and my consultant said he saw a fissure which was partially healed hence he applied botox injection .

he did say that it takes 3 months to heal

my experience of the botox is pain is better than before however not 100 percent . I met the consultant last week and he stated that the fact things r slightly better is a positive and that I should remeber that the botox was only applied 4 weeks ago and that I should wait 8 weeks for it to fully recover

I take dulcoase to keep stools soft so now i do still push it out but i think that's what we all surely do ?????? i dont strain like i am giving birth. it's a gentle push and tensing my abs muscles and then it comes out nicely .

no pain at all whilst passing stools but discomfort sometimes at various times during the day

• Posted

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you are managing OK 4 weeks on from your botox. I'm sorry to hear about your previous pain.

I'm only 6 days post botox, so hope to feel better soon as possible. I take 3 dulco ease every day and also lactulose morning and evening. It makes my stomach bubble and gurgle but at least it makes passing stools easier. I agree though you still have to push slightly. Surely if we didn't need to push we'd be incontinent??

I've read advice about relaxing stomach and breathing deeply to avoid straining. So far so good but I dread a day of it not passing easily as worry I'd be straight back to square one.

• Posted

. hello there. I would not say I am managing ok it's still a struggle at times for example right now I am set having soak. And the reason why I am having it is because I feel a slight burning sensation in the area and it also feels as if if I am sweaty there as well. what I would say is I am glad I had the botox. but like my consultant said you need to wait the full 12 weeks to see if this has worked or not. and even then if it does not work then it is usually another one or two doses of Botox and after that then they may consider surgery. in some countries they do surgery straight away where is here they are a little bit more reluctant in England. does anyone know as a suggestion is it worth when having a salt to add some Dettol to the water? I have never tried this but just thinking whenever we have a cut to the hand we do use some form of antiseptic such as Dettol

• Posted

Sorry I replied below. Silly me!

Yeah currently using the headache cream and awaiting appointment for second botox.

Does anyone know what happens when that doesn't work?

How, do people cope with work? Currently I am getting in 2 hours later as it takes me so long to bm, soak and feel remotely able to work xxx

• Edited

I know what you mean about work. I personally was using lidocaine cream after a bm. Then painkillers to get through the day. But they don't really touch the pain. I think it would be easier if my bms were on an evening, but I always go on a morning. I just get up extra early to allow enough time for it all. Really sympathise with you on this.

• Posted

So I had my appointment to check progress.

Obviously not good. Fissure still there. More botox in a month on the NHS.

Any one know what happens next when this doesn't work? (which it won't) Literally destroying me.

• Posted

uour lucky your consultant checked after the botox to see if it's still there

my consultant didntcheck andhasmadeafollow up appointment in 5 months

have you tried herbal oils as they worked for me years ago and I am using them now too

• Posted

poppy are you taking anything to keep your stools soft? also did you ask your consultant at the time of the botox how many cuts you have in the area and how bad they were?

also general question to anyone on this forum but does anusol hemroid cream help fissures ?

I have been applying sudocream and today have started on anusol as when I googled it they say it helps with fissures

• Edited

Hi Poppy,

I think the next step after botox is a lateral sphincterotomy but they really dont like to give it to women because it can cause complications with childbirth.

USEFUL INFO--- over christmas my clever mum made me take very large doses of vitamin C every day because vitamin C causes cells to repair themselves. People with bad burns are often perscribed big doses of vitamin C to heal their skin. Alongside a very very fibrous diet, hot baths and these very large doses of vitamin C, my fissures have gotten a lot better, and although im still in a lot of pain and getting botox in a few weeks, theres much less blood and i can get on with my day after a bowel movement so i would really recomend giving the vitamin C a go (large large doses)

Jen

• Posted

I used to use anusol when i didnt know i had a fissure and thought my skin tag was a pile lol, and the cream really stang and didnt help anything, savlon never did either when i found out it was a fissure, everybody is different though

• Posted

I take 1500mg a day, the daily recomended amount is 90mg and doctors usually say dont take more than 2000mg a day xx

• Posted

which medicine do u take ?

also surely a fissure is meant to bleed

the last time I had any visible bleeding was in october 2019 ?

• Edited

Poppy I'm same as you. It's destroying my life too.

I had botox 2 weeks ago. Still horrendous pain after BM but not so bad afterwards (as long as I lie on my side on the sofa all day and do nothing).

Felt like I'd improved so drove to work yesterday. Pain was unbearable. Tried again today with a lift to work. Ended up in tears and had to be brought home.

Back to the sofa. Feels like I'll never heal. I'm so worried that I've cancelled out the past 2 weeks of healing.

Has anyone actually healed after botox?

I couldn't bear a 2nd dose, it was so painful after the injection.

• Edited

Hi - I'm new to this thread - any advice is appreciated.

I've been dealing with fissures since Oct '19. Since meeting with a colorectal Dr, I've been given ointments to try including Nitroglycerin, Nifedipine & Diltiazem. Does anyone know which one works best or does it depend on the person? The NTG is so nauseating so I stick with the latter but am willing to bear it if it's better. My dr is now getting pushy about botox, but I am worried about doing this. What's a reasonable amount of time to try the ointments before moving onto new options?

Surgery is a last resort for me. I am a 30 y.o. female and want to start a family soon (doesn't even feel possible the way life feels right now). I've quit my job and can't enjoy the things I used to. This situation is exhausting, isolating and depressing. I feel for everyone in this thread and send healing thoughts to you.

• Edited

Hi there. I know the feeling this can be very depressing as I must admit. I was a keen sportsman however due to my fissure I was unable to continue sports as this was affecting me mentally as well as physically. However please do not loose hope and try and think positive. I know it's easier said than done. In relation to the medicine. I found diltiazem actually work better for me. Previously however on this occasion. Nothing did the trick. I used everything you can imagine in terms of creams such as sudo cream and gtn However, nothing worked. but then visited my consultant in England and he stated the next option would be botox injections. I must admit I was very frightened of this however the way I look at it now is these doctors are specially trained and they know what they are on about. I did discuss the option of having the full surgery known as lis. However. He advised me sensibly that having this was a last Resort even though it does have a very good success rate. He mentioned that if I am one of those where the treatment does not work successfully. Then there is no going back and I would be stuck then there is no going back and I would be stuck with the consequences Forever. He said the botox is less riskier. Therefore I took his word for it. I am now. now approximately 8 weeks post botox. What I would say is is it is certainly better than before? For because before I was getting severe burning and pain in my anal area. However, as I am sure you are aware botox only lasts 12 weeks and then I have heard rumours that the pain then comes back again. Hence. I cannot comment any further on the botox treatment. However what I would say is leave. The treatment of this condition to The treatment of this condition to your consultant. And have faith.

• Edited

At first I thought the botox did not work but it really did help with the healing process, however it was a painful healing! ( keep repeating to yourself over and over again.... the body wants to Heal- it will Heal. )

• Edited

I found the Nitroglycerin worked the best for me and I also did have the botox ( painful but helped with the healing- I think I also had piles which contributed to the pain - I screamed for about two weeks ) I think for each person it is different. All in all the fissure I had took a good two+ years to fully heal. ( having a b.m. for any of us who have suffered thru this, I think we shall be cautious for the rest of our lives, so this does not happen again. ) I feel for everyone who goes thru this as well, it is exhausting, isolating and depressing and that is why I think this thread is extremely important. To help others know they are not alone and the pain they are feeling has been shared by all of us. We really do understand. Blessings and Healing to you all.

• Posted

Dunno what to say. It's horrific. How long ago since u had botox? I have my second lot on Tuesday, am dreading it as I know what to expect now x

Are you work being okay with u? X

• Posted

Hey, I'm having the second dose on Tuesday and am so scared. Scared because I know what to expect and scared in case it doesnt work.

Has anyone had it the second time?

Can I ask why u don't want the botox? Xx

• Edited

I have not had it a second time and though the first injection was very painful for quite a while, it did seem to help, though.... I still used the nitroglycerin ointment for quite some time afterwards, as well. It's been over a year since the botox shot but all in all the fissure took a good 2+ yrs of being really uncomfortable and in distress before it finally healed. I still watch and am diligent in care for the area down there. I fear constipation or flair ups of IBS- ( both wreck havoc for us who have and are suffering from an anal fissure ) Best of Luck poppy000.

• Edited

I tried every cream for my excruciatingly painful fissure with no relief. The last cream I used was diltiazem. It helped a little but I was still unable to do much because i was in PAIN all day. I would rather go through childbirth, than deal with the pain from fissures.

Once the diltiazem didnt work, my doctor gave me the choice of botox or surgery. I went with botox injections. I had great success with botox. I had it done in December '19. The pain was gone when I woke up from the procedure. It was a MIRACLE!!!! I will say that its now been almost 3 months (pain free) BUT I am starting to get some of the pain again just in the last week or so. I'm extremely scared that I'll be back to where I started. I know botox lasts about 12 weeks, so I was kinda expecting this but its just so horrible and I don't want to deal with it again! I was really hoping the fissure would heal in that time. My doctor said I could have botox again, but did say the surgery is the most effective procedure. I guess I'll have to decide what to do next if the pain keeps coming back.

I just wanted to comment about my success with botox because I read these forums constantly looking for some kind of answer. I really didn't see a lot of success stories with botox. It was a miracle for my pain relief!!! It just doesn't last forever sad to say.

• Posted

snap . I had my first botox in december 2019 as well

my experience has been mixed ..as in 70 percent better than before however I do get the odd moments where I feel pain or maybe I think feel pain as i heard a fissure does effect u physcholigally . in that because you are thinking about it too much your brain tells you there is pain but there isnt

are u in the uk ?

did u get your fissure as a result of childbirth? I am a male and my was caused by stress and a hard stool

my surgeon is dead against surgery as he said it's not reversible. hence whilst it has a high success rate if i was one of the 5 percent where itndoesnt work then i am screwed and have to live with the consequences for life . hende he prefers botox treatment and said botox injections can be repeated

also without asking for too much information when you had your fissure was it painful to poo ? my issue doesnt cone from when I poo. it starts random.times during the day

• Edited

Hi so crazy morning. Went in for my surgery and the surgeon didn't want to do it after I told him I'd had some relief for 10 days . He said it looked slightly better and wanted to hold off as it's such an invasive op.

So yeah, I kind of feel bitter sweet. I was expecting the harrowing pain after the botox but now I'm thinking is that the right thing. Fingers crossed I am HEALING!

• Edited

hello puppy. I presume you was going in for just for botox ? how long have you had the fissue for? think positive because I am sure the doctor would have seen on the camera you're fissure. can see his point in that if it is healing and is more or less healed then there is no point risking putting you to sleep to do this procedure

can I ask poppy

1. when you poop does it feel like razor blades ? as people say this is what a fissure feels like hut I have had no such feeling . I simply get burning and discomfort . I am 7 weeks post botox and stressing as I am approaching that 3 month mark where botox apparently wears off.
    • Posted

Yeah I had botox and skin tag removal in October. Up and down since December (mainly really really down) as I expected the awful pain for 10 weeks as he did say 10 weeks after procedure. Anyway, it just didn't heal. A month ago it was so bad I thought if have to go to A&E but slightly been slightly since then (hence he wants to resist)

Can definitely resonate with the razor blades. Had that for about 16weeks after surgery and gradually got a little better. My daily bm routine and shower/bath /gathering my pain thoughts takes over 2 hours then the pain reduces after about 1ish but obviously feel drained from the pain. I also have awful coccyx pain but I dunno if that's from the trauma of it all.

Are you at pain level in a sense you can do your normal life? Or does it stop you 'living'? Mine certainly has. I cant exercise or work properly and am on a daily concoctions of various fibre supplements and laxitives. Just horrific. So glad u haven't had the razorblades and hope it improves x

• Posted

my concern is razor blades is what people associate with fissures but I am not experiencing that ...touch wood . hence what have I got ? my surgeon said to me it was a fissure hence he gave me botox .

I think fissure causes depression . I was depressed for months. being a bodybuilder I slimmed down too much where it didnt even look like I lift!! only the last few weeks I have started weighliftying again. I think we have to try and forget about it and not let the fissure win and take over our life .

when I poop i have no pain 99 percent of the time. however random points during the day my anus will feel sore and odd time I get buring for a few seconds .

LIS operation my surgeon wanted to avoid at all cost . he also said having seen my fissure it was partially healed hence he doesnt beleive and want to do LIS as its irreversible of the operation is a failure. it does have a great success rate mind u

also when u poop is it nice n soft ? I have used dulocilase stool softer and it ensure I do not have to strain too much at all . also take fiber gel a few times a week .

I am in england but I heard some countries offer laser surgery for a fissure ????

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I'm so sorry to hear how much of an impact this condition has taken on your daily life. It's sometimes hard to remember what things were like before all of this started. I guess I forget to trust that my Dr does know best, as silly as that sounds. This has just been such a long process with so many people misdiagnosing or mistreating me, that by the time I got to a specialist, a lot of my trust in Drs had worn down. I am trying to keep positive and remind myself my body does want to heal and that the botox treatment exists for a reason.

• Edited

Thank you for the reply. Gosh, two years?! I am so sorry, but I hope that means you are nearly recovered now. I have piles as well.. oh it definitely adds to the pain. There was a long period of time where I dreaded going to the bathroom bc of the pain that I knew was coming. It's just so hard to explain to the people around you what's going on. I am especially grateful for this thread for that reason alone.

• Edited

Wishing you all the best with your second round today. I really hope it helps!!

I am feeling more inclined to do botox now if it can help with the healing, I just found it off putting that my Dr said she has heard zero complaints about botox yet here I read countless examples of it being painful or potentially worsening the pain! Then again, I want to remind myself that people who have found relief with botox are probably not taking the time to come online and write about it maybe? Please let us know how the second round goes, I really hope it gives you relief.

• Edited

Thank you for sharing about your success with the botox. It feels good to know it has worked, at least temporarily, for someone. I certainly don't want the surgery so I'm willing to try anything else at this point.

To anyone interested here are some tips I've gathered thru this process:

I take fiber supplements and metamucil (spaced thru the day). I take miralax every other day (any more than that I found that it makes me go to the bathroom too much and aggravated everything. I take vitamin C (someone suggested this in the thread). I soak in a sitz bath after every BM for no more than 10 mins. I used to take long physical baths bc it felt like the only thing that made things "better", but I was advised that could be drying out my skin and worsening the fissures. Keep in mind the ointments also are drying because they are in petroleum jelly. I apply mine 4x a day. I have also seen a pelvic floor physical therapist who performed muscle relaxing techniques. This really helped relieve muscle pain temporarily, so I've tried to copy some of her techniques at home. You can also use a pelvic wand. She suggested stretching before and after a BM - that's just not doable for me every time, but I can see how it would be beneficial. Lastly, this PT taught me how to have a proper BM and I swear by this method. She calls it "shush and push". Sit hunched over to a point that's comfy (for me that is chest almost to knees but not completely), imagine everything opening up down there and shush into your closed fist (a deep long breath) and push your belly out at the same time. Sounds crazy but it helped me!

• Posted

huge impact trust me .

wish I could to back to that day my stool was stuck and forced it out . hindsight wonderful thing I guess .

anyone use herbal oils ? I have been using h-fissures oil however had to gauge whether this is working as i have had botox as well . reviews seem really good mind you

• Edited

Thank you for your tips, that's kind. What is metamucil? And miralax?

Are you on the ointment that causes headaches? That's the one I have now

I've found increasing water, fibre and sleep obviously helps. The witch Hazel wipes that someone recommended on here also help cleanse and relive.

My second botox was cancelled today as my surgeon wishes to leave it.

Can I ask why you dont want the surgery?

What's your pain level out of 10 at the moment?

• Edited

Hey just googled the oils and thank you

I'm so up for these, why don't the docs recommend?

• Posted

sorry to but in I'm.in England and they say surgery should only be used as a last resort . ointments first followed by botox and numerous injections and only then is LIS surgery considered .

whilst LIs has 95 percent success rate if you are one of those 5 percent my surgeon said there is no way back . as in the damage is permanent as they cannot re attach the muscle they cut. hence whikst the surgery is a small procedure the risk of something.gies wrong is massive hence the reluctance to do it in england .

without sounding graphic does anyone stick sudoc cream or other ointments into the actual anus itself or just the outside?? I can fit half my finger nail part of my finger in there but this has taken me ages to do

• Posted

My pain was random and it would come on at all times if the day until it became almost constant! Going poo definitely contributed to the pain, but it would also start in the middle of the night and wake me up. My pain I would describe as an intense throbbing and burning pain that wouldn't let up...absolutely miserable! I've heard others describe it as like feeling razor blades, but I didn't experience that. I was amazed that botox stopped all the pain instantly! After dealing with it for a year I was really feeling hopeless. I would reccomend anyone going through this to give it a try.

• Posted

No when i asked Chelley25 why she didn't want the surgery, I meant botox not Lis.

I live in England too and my surgeon says that doesn't even offer Lis. I've heard all sorts of awful.

I posted a link for the herbal oils to ask you if it was the right one but the comment needs to be moderated. Very intrigued by the herbal side as the Hazel wipes are great xx

• Posted

I did notice that poppy . as in the post was being viewed by the forum first

I googled h fissure oil and a uk company called stress no more stocks them . it's all natural plants and no lie it smells amazing lol

I know a few years back it worked wonders for me hiwever NHS doctors said they cant comment as it's a herbal medicine . hence why I am trying it again hiwever I have also had the botox done so difficult to assess how good and effective it has been this time round if that makes sense

I presume your female by your name? apparently lis us not something they like to give female patients especially if they are young . apparently it effects woman more when they go through menstrual cycle I read

let's hope we dont need lis . my current surgeon said he much rather give me botox every couple of years than give me that lis operation

fingers crossed that all of us here recover from.this annoying and painful condition

my anxiety is kicking in now as I approach the 3 month botox mark

• Edited

I have read all of these posts from the past five years. I thought I was the only one who suffered the terrible pain of a fissure. I have used all the ointments and have had botox once. It truly helped me but I still live in fear of it happening again. I would definitely do the botox again, when needed. I have a rather personal question to ask… I would like to know how having a fissure has affected everyone’s sex life...I have a patient husband....but I have such a fear of pain. I have read all of these posts I haven’t seen this mentioned at all. I'm assuming I’m not the only one that is going through this.

• Posted

as a male it did effect my sex life as I was suffering from anxiety worrying about my fissure . hence was always stressed out. couldn't think about sex as I was worried about the fissure

• Edited

Yep. Completely ruined it and not what you want at my age or with any age i suppose. Also no chance of exercise, full time work or going to the cinema or long seated events.

I just hope and pray my surgeon made the right decision on Tuesday x

• Posted

Hi poppy it's been 6 weeks since I had the botox. It was painful at first but not too bad now. I'm wondering if the pain was due to how bad the fissure was, rather than the botox.

I'm still suffering due to internal hemorrhoids which need treatment, and keep thrombosing.

I find rest, lots of it!! Fruit water stool softener and lactulose help.

Work have been brilliant thankfully, I'm on full pay. 5 weeks off. Going back next week reduced hours for 2 weeks. Hoping to get hemorrhoids treated ASAP.

How are you doing?

• Posted

hi

what are you considering a large dose? 2000mg?

• Posted

I am going for Botox next week. When you had the Botox how much time did it take for the spasms to start easing out. And did the spasms stop completely or did the spasms come back. You mentioned your bleeding has come back and pain is also just as bad. Are you referring to spasm pain?

• Edited

Hey there,

Just wondering how you got on?

Im 10 days post botox and in awful pain directly after a bm. Im so deflated and feel so hopeless. I was pain free for the first week which makes it even more disappointing .I cant understand how I can be in this much pain again even after the botox. the pain lasts most of the day and can still feel it even with the painkillers.

i feel helpless because I cant just call the surgeon up and because of covid. I have a follow up phone call at the end of October! Thanks. Corrina

• Posted

Do you have an update? Wondering how you are doing now? I am in a lot of pain and researching my options.

• Posted

hey! thanks so much for your positive botox story. i have my first botox under aenesthetic tomorrow and I'm so nervous - your post really helped! how are you doing now?

• Posted

havent had it yet. leave for hospital in a few hours. i'm so nervous but reading but reading so many stories on here has really helped to normalise this horrible thing, and not make the various treatments for it seem quite as scary.

• Posted

Hi everyone

I'm new here . I was misdiagnosed with piles for a year when i had a chronic fissure . I knew what i had from research but the GP's did not listen until my fissure was so bad it resembled a stab wound .

i finally got put on the list for botox and tag removal but lockdown happened which postponed this another year .

In my opinion laxatives made my fissure much much worse . I researched online and began using organic psyllium husk which was an absolute game changer and healed my fissure as much was possible without surgery . This stuff honestly made life bearable again . previously i had tried every one of those strong creams under the sun and i know this may sound dramatic but there were nights i would lay awake in pain thinking i just can not continue to live like this any more .

i had an inspection , botox and tag removal on friday , for the first time in months im bleeding and in agony again . I'm hoping this will reduce soon . Im going to start taking my husk again and pray the botox does its job .

thinking of you all and sending love . this really is a tough thing to go through xx

• Posted

Just to add I've only had 4 days off work and I'm back tomorrow . really don't feel ready as BM throb for hours afterwards , how has everyone else coped with working around this ?

thanks x

• Edited

Hi,

I was glad to find this thread to hear similiar experiences. 38 y o female here.

Have had trouble for about 2 years - thought it was piles... even though I think I was given NGT treatment by my GP a few years before that but not really clicking what it was.

Became agonising about 18 months ago and for some reason still thought I had piles. occasionally i thought i had something stuck in my lower bowel. sometimes having gas 'stuck' would cause pressure and pain all day long. reading up on all this now i imagine it was my sphincter in spasm.

several consultations later and, lots of lactulose and many many tubes of NGT that helped a bit but didn't solve anything...

... had botox and sentile pile removal last week under general anaesthetic.

Some pain for the first week but about the same as the fissure pain (when at the usual annoying pinch level not at extreme discomfort level).

my most worry has been trying to prevent sepsis as some bleeding from sentile pile site and no antibiotics prescribed by hospital. also no information provided so have been scouring the internet looking up things.

it's 7 days since now and the pain and bleeding is minimal. i think it's all worth it to eliminate the daily pain from the fissure which obviously wasn't going away on it's own. sods law the week before i went in it wasn't actually that bad and i felt a bit like a time-waster. they said after i came round though that it was a broad based fissure and they had done the botox.

i think bowel movements are easier already

i've tried to majorly up my fibre intake and have been avoiding alcohol and caffeine to avoid de-hydration.

i have occasionally had pain during sex which now thinking about it may well have been related to the fissure. i think i'll leave that for at least another week to see if that makes a difference. if things do heal up (the FAQ I read said wait at least 5-6 weeks to see) then hopefully things will be even better in that department too!

even if i'm back to square 1 using the NGT creams (or alternative one a consultant prescribed which i haven't started yet - u ration what u have just in case!) i still wouldn't regret trying the botox - it feels worth the try.

good luck on your journey and hope life improves for u soon

• Edited

hi, I had a botox injection 7 days ago to treat a fissure and also had some piles tied off.

I have had problems on and off for 10 years after a heart by- pass when I was given morphine, this caused major constipation hence the problem.

My problem became unbearable recently and I was advised to have a botox injection for the fissure. I am just about pain free since the injection, I have a slight tenderness in the area which seems to be getting better,I have not used any creams since and I have not taken any laxatives. My stools have been soft and to be honest if I get the call I must go quickly as my bowels are so loose- nearly too loose!! nearly had an accident! To sum up so far so good and I feel that things are improving by the day, I carry out normal activities , I am 72, its only 7 days since the injection and feeling optimistic that it is a success, hope this helps.

• Edited

Hi im so glad I've read your post. I've been suffering for nearly 2 years with fissure pain. It was caused due the chemo/radiotherapy I had for my cancer. It feels like my life has been put on hold for the last 5 years. I have decided to pay privately as I can't wait for the NHS due to the pain being unbearable. The consultant I saw has said he will do botox ( I wanted the op but he said we need to try this first) I am feeling quite anxious and after reading all these posts have got myself proper stressed over having the botox as it dosent seem to have worked for anyone but then I saw your post so feel a bit relieved now. Thankyou so much for posting, I don't feel as anxious now. I hope you have carried on improving and are on the road to a normal life again 😁 just hope I have the sane result 🤞 take care and thanks again

• Posted

hi, i just recently had a botox fissurectomy literalt yesterday lol, bit personal but i am so worried as i just had my first bowel movement since and it hurt quite a bit as it took a while lol, and now my back passage feels line it burns a bit? Did anyone else have this? i'm really worried its brought my fissure back and hasnt been enough time for the botox to actually work 😕

Sorry lol thanks in advance guys!

• Posted

Hello, Corman4. I've had rectal pain for 3 months now after having diarrhea one day in late April. Doctors did rectal exams and 2 CT scans and can't feel or visually see anything. So, I may have an internal fissure, yet I never bleed during or after bowel movements and no pain associated with them either. Did you get pain in your lower back as well? I get tailbone pain that came along with this for some reason. I'm thinking of getting nitroglycerin to see if I notice a difference in intensity while using it. I'm 42, and was in great shape as a fitness guru before all this happened, so I'm hoping those reason will help me heal. I was supposed to go to Italy to be with my girlfriend who has a home there, yet will need to change plans until I feel better. You are completely healed now?

• Edited

I had a similar surgery and I also thought it came back, but it didn't. It's just been a long recovery for me. Hang in there. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I had surgery for my issues and after that I had the tailbone pain that you are experiencing. The Dr said it was from spasms. I did nitro cream and botox but it's taken awhile to relax the muscles. I hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

thank you, me too haha! Yeah its been a week and i still get pain after a bm and then its sore for some time after still which isn't great 😕

but im contacting my colorectal clinic today so maybe they will shed some light on it for me lol 😃

• Posted

sorry to hear that it such a painful thing to have .I am 5 days now out of having my botox .just got over the constipation due to anaesthetic its evil. but today constipation gone and I don't have any pain just few sharp needle like shooting pains but I put that down to healing .found walking really helps and take fybogel each night so you can make stool as soft as you can so it can heal

• Posted

Hii can you please tell me how king did it take for you to heal post botox procedure. I'm 3-4 days post botox and don't see any change as such .... don't really have pain during BM but discomfort and burning sensation during the day. it's been so uncomfortable and so depressing for months now

• Edited

hiii.....how have you been post botox? ive been 6 days now post Botox but that burning sensation and itch doesn't seem to go. has stress got anything to do with it? have had so many anxiety attacks related to this fissure

• Edited

I'm only 4 days post botox and in worse pain than before! I was hoping that the fissure was starting to heal beforehand using the diltiazem cream and rectogesic ointment but feel like I'm back at square one. I've got to go for a colonoscopy next Monday and I'm dreading it as I know how painful it's going to be. My consultant has pushed for me to have one as I became anemic and she reckons it shouldn't have been caused by the bleeding from the fissure. It's a good job I'm already on antidepressants as dealing with the constant pain is awful!

• Posted

Hi Smackel,

Glad to hear you felt better. I am feeling better too at times but then I get bleeding again and feel that actually it is healing.

I am wondering how it ended up for you after you wrote this. Are you out of the woods eventually?

• Posted

hi, how are you now? did you heal your anal fissure?

by the way, did you have colonoscopy to check where bleeding is coming from? maybe bowels?

• Posted

Hi there,I am reading your post which you posted 3yrs ago and would like to ask you about your recovery...as I had botox injections in rectum 3 weeks ago and I got external hemoroid and am not sure if this is in common to get it after botix or not,...

I would really appreciate your time if you could share with me your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Anna.P

• Posted

this is how it has been for me. Just before the two week mark, the pain has become so unbearable I cant walk too far, sit or stand. I called my dr and I have an appointment with him tomorrow. I am hoping for the more advanced surgery. I know your post is old, what was your outcome?

• Edited

I had botox, fissue tag removed, internal piles banded (didn't know I even had these!), and surgeon put a camera in to check around. That was 5 days ago and so far no major pain, just a dull pain immedialely after the procedure (probably the banding). Going to the toilet has been okay - mild discomfort - certainly not painful. Softners helping.

Leading up to this, I have been suffering from a fissure for about 2 years. Mis-diagnosed by my local doctor originally after I strained on the toilet (my biggest regret ever!!) Once the doctor got it right, the GTN ointment that gives headaches from hell was the first thing I used, and to be fair, it worked and it went away for a few months at a time. That cycle carried on for a while - a few weeks of pain, bit of ointment for a few weeks and back to normal again. It was 6 months ago the the pain cycle just didn't go away that prompted me to get specialist help.

The colorectal surgeon said I had a fissue and an associated skin tag - he prescribed dilitazem cream - that really helped heal things, and with me also taking fibre supplements (game changer for me) I felt it was under control pain wise, but it just never fully went away - I could feel something there. At times it would get worse with stinging and dull pains, and clear mucus - this was all linked to the skin tag area - i think it was getting infected and inflamed. It was at this point I decided to get more help as the constant thinking about this takes it toll on your mental wellbeing.

I went back and was booked in for surgery - he would use a camera to have a thorough look around, remove the tag, if fissue still present, inject botox, and if any internal piles, band them. He did all of that.

Whilst it was only five days ago, I do feel pretty good. I just know the area is tender (to be expected). The feeling of the tag has gone, which I really hope breaks the cycle - that thing getting inflammed I'm sure was the cause, or at the least wasn't helping. I have everything crossed that I keep everything under control and normal life resumes - I'm done with thinking about my bum everyday!

Going forward, I think the experience of this will stay with me. As we all know the pain can be terrible and it greatly affects day to day life. The toll on mental wellbeig is often overlooked by the medical profession. My lifestyle before all of this was pretty good - cycled/run, ate well and drank lots of water. I think it was just a bad day or two of eating that blocked me up one day and the rest is history. I will now be even more mindful of my food, water intake and exercise for the rest of my life. Fibre is your friend here - I really don't think I got enough before.

If you are suffering, hang in there, it does get better once you and your doctor/surgeon work out the best way forward for you.

I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.