Flu jab reaction - adult?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had the flu jab about 6 weeks ago (free from work, not for medical issues). Since then I have had either a constant runny nose or a completely blocked up nose. I've tried cold remedies which, surprise, haven't worked. I don't suffer from hay fever or any other allergies so could this be a reaction to the flu jab? I don't want to be like this for xmas!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lyppy,

It is possible that you may have reacted to the flu jab. I have type 2 diabetes which puts me at risk of flu so I have the jab every year.

When my father was alive he worked in a factory as an engineer where it was expected that you had the flu jab but he did not believe in it.

His employer said if he did not have the jab with everone else and then he caught the flu he would not get any sick pay so being very stubbon he refused the jab under those conditions.

It turned out that most of his work mates got flu and he did not.

What can you make of it !

The problem is there is so many different strains of flu and you cannot be innoculated for all of them. On reflection I think you are better of having the jab because if you do actually get real flu it can make you very ill, some people die from it.

This is just my own opinion so it's for you to make your own decision in the future.

Best wishes

Robert

• Posted

Sounds like your father may have been naturally immune to the prevaililng flu viruses.

It would probably be advisable for all people over 65, and those in vulnerable goups to discuss the advisability of receiving the flu jab with their GP.

• Posted

I think you are absolutely right anon, my dad never seemed to get colds or flu but you are also correct in saying the over 65 and the vulnerable groups should definitely get the flu jab. I am diabetic and go for it next week.
    • Posted

The flu has not arrived as far as I know. But I would advise receiving the vaccination a bit earlier next year, say October. But, no harm done.
    • Posted

Dear anon,

You are a lovely lass, and I totally agree with you. It is now the end of January and I am talking about having the flu jab as a diabetic, what a joke!

The truth is I live in Blaenau Ffestiniog North Wales. We have four part time GP's and very limited nurses who are rushed of their feet.

It is very difficult to get these things early. They normally say we wil write to you. When I asked for it they said "o did you get it last year" well lof course I did. Sometimes it is difficult to get the right thing done.

I am sure you see the problem I have.

It is lovely to talk to you.

bobcrachet.

• Posted

I am male.

You are doing the best you can. You are a priority patient for the vaccination. Because of the pressure on the parctice perhaps you should consider requesting a vaccination before October, then you might recieve one before the flu season starts. You know your practice, and only you can decide this calculation.

• Posted

You get it when they decide to give it to you. I would not want to push to hard. I need them much more than they need me. I don't even contribute any more being retired.

• Posted

HI, I recived flu jab as well 6 weeks ago and have been suffering exactly as you , blocked nose for the past 2 weeks and still blocked. Having trouble sleeping at night. I am hoping it will wear off. For the past 10 years I have had the flu jab and after 3 weeks suffer slight cold symtons for a few days. Doc says this is coincidence, asĀ flu jab cannot cause side effects like this. But as I have said this year my nose is blocked virtually constantly.
    • Posted

Surely, the sysmtoms you describe are common side effects of the jab. You cannot catch the flu form the vaccination, but you can have the side effects.
  • Posted

I just had to reply to Lyppy I thought i was the only one to have problems with the flu jab,. I had mine at the end of October and after having the worst cold that lasted for weeks I have been left with sinus problem that I wake up every morning with a stuffed up nose and when my nose is blown there is blood in the mucus.This was my first flu jab and it will also be my last.
    • Posted

Steam inhalation, with a little menthol, may help to unblock you nasel passages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.