some help please

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am not the one who suffers, it is my hubby.  A little background...He hit his ankle on a clutch pedal in a 18 wheeler, ended up going to the hospital for antibiotics every 4 hrs for 2 days..That was 13 yrs ago, it has never completely healed up in that time, always a small hole of sorts.  Seems to get worse in August and really hits a new level by Christmas.  Last yeat I received a phone call from his boss to go home and get his bandages and meet him at the hospital, when I got there i thought someone had been murdered, there was blood everywhere including up the wall.  Apparently while trying to pull up the compression bandage he felt it wet and when he moved it blood sprayed everywhere.  This happened twice in about 4 months, the holes were pretty deep and painful.  He takes torodol and tylenol 3 or 4 depending on the severity.  I will get to the reason for seeking out this forum....has anyone ever had the holes become black, I don't mean the black scabs (we have dealt with that before) but it actually looks like inside the leg is necratizing(?) Not the skin black....I always try to stay positive for him and find something positive to say when I change the dressings, but today I am sitting at this computer crying for him...I just don't know how he is able to carry on.  Anyway enough of me, If anyone could offer any advice on this I would be very thankful........

A loving wife

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

Sorry to hear your husband is suffering, I really feel for him.  I have had a non healing leg ulcer for over 5 years now after hurting my leg on my sons bike pedal.  

My actual ulcer was black and very deep 3 years ago, and found out it was badly infected.  I was admitted to hospital to be given morphine via a drip for the pain and strong antibiotics to get rid of the infection.  At the time I was in a compression stocking as my ulcer had healed but was put back into compression bandages due to the ulcer reopening. 

Has your husband been see by the Vascular Team at a Hospital or had a ultrasound scan of his veins or arteries to find out if there is any underlying problems with his veins or arteries. If not please ask your GP about being referred asap. 

Please do not bottle up your feelings, be honest and talk to your husband about how you are feeling even have a cry on his shoulder if you want or even if you have a close friend or family member you can talk to. I know you are trying to stay positive for him but look after yourself too.  

I am looking into setting up a facebook page for leg ulcer sufferers and their families to chat, rant or seek advice etc from others in the simular situations if its something you would be interested in let me know and I will keep you updated.  

Take care x

• Posted

ty Twinkle Toes.. they debrided it and now have him on some brown paste used years ago on wounds and a different compression bandage.  We will see how this goes.  Please do let me know about the facebook page I am very interested to talk with others as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.