Drinking every day...

Posted , 75 users are following.

Hello. I've just signed up here because I thought it might help to acknowledge somewhere, in some small way, that I have a problem with alcohol. And maybe compare notes with other people and their experiences. I'm not ready to tell friends and family yet. I'm in my late 30s and for a long time (4 years) I have been drinking something every day (with very occasional alcohol free spells) - it varies between 2-6 cans each night. Always just in the evening. The daily amount I consume isn't enormous - but over time it's become a seemingly unbreakable habit, and of course I worry about the long term health effects. I've got used to waking up with a woolly head or a hangover. My mind has an incredible duality - every morning I resolve to stop but by the evening I crave it all over again. I get so frustrated with my lack of self control. It's not social drinking - I live alone and most of my drinking is done alone. Often I'll even find myself turning down social invitations because drinking alone in my flat seems so much more pleasurable (I'm a shy and very socially anxious chap). On my own there's no-one to raise an eyebrow, or suggest that I've had enough. It's like the ultimate love/hate thing. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can de-stress me quite like alcohol - but I also know this effect is temporary and that my stress will often come back worse in the morning. I'm concerned about quitting altogether because then my friends will want to know why - and I'll have to admit that there was a problem. It feels shameful somehow. I feel my relationship with alcohol is very different to that of other people; for example I'm always amazed when I see people with half drunk bottles of wine in the fridge. If I ever have any alcohol in the house with me it gets drunk that same day! Anyway, I'm going to try and quit, starting today. I'll let you know how I get on : )

10 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do not go cold turkey its,dangerous and could cause you severe affects please see your GP there are meds to help you become alcohol controlled or alcohol free.

Please don't do it x Linda

• Posted

Thanks Linda. I'm admittedly quite naive on this subject having never given it much consideration until now - but had thought that as my intake has been relatively small (often just a couple of beers each day) I wouldn't need medication to safely quit? I've quit for spells in the past without adverse effects... I'm just curious to know more... 
    • Posted

One of the problems if you go cold turkey is that you get the D.Ts ((delirium tremors),

where you will shake and your body desperate for a drink.

You could have seizure's and more so that is why it is so important to reduce alcohol slowly.

Are you in the UK?

Which part? X

• Posted

Hello, i wish you all the strenth you need! I am in the exact situation! I drink 5 to 6 beers a night of 6.9%sad I also run when i get of work only to rush home to drink and catch a buzz. i always tell myself im not going to drink during the week, but always give in. my husband also drinks evrey day but he drinks slow and is not a binge drinker like me. I dont want to tell my family either. very shameful for me.
    • Posted

Thanks Erica, my best wishes to you - I think I know how you feel. I envy those slow drinkers... I've got to throw it down my neck and get a proper hit. But the thing is, the hit always wears off - and pretty quick too. I guess it will be good for me to try and start seeing my life more in 360 degrees - rather than living for that momentary buzz that's so seductive but short, start to remember how nice it is to wake up with a fresh head, or to feel proud of a boosted mood through the daylight hours. I might start keeping a diary of those positive things?...
  • Posted

Hi Peter I can relate to a lot of what you have said and your words very much Echo what I have experienced so don't feel ashamed. There are many people in the same position as you and whist that doesn't make the regular drinking ok it isn't something to be ashamed about.

Firstly I would try and limit your drinking to maybe the weekends and see how you get on, distraction and keeping busy is def key in keeping yourself busy and focused on something other than drinking. If you can achieve a few non drinking days a week it will be beneficial for your health from the outset.

Do you like reading books? Perhaps get stuck into a good book or take up an exercise class one night a week.

I think it's very difficult to break that cycle of waking up feeling awful and then gradually as the day goes on you feel better and keen to drink again, but once you experience a few clear headed mornings a week and quality nights sleep you will hopefully start to realise which mornings you prefer more!

Good luck on your journey, you'll be fine I'm sure just stay focused. 

• Posted

Thank you, it's really good advice. Was thinking I might join the gym. Looking forward to some decent quality sleep too, as well! Thanks for your good wishes, and good luck on your journey also! 
    • Posted

I had heard about acupuncture helping with alcohol cravings, and also pills, Id like to try just no insurance. good luck on your journey.
    • Posted

I swear by acupuncture. It can reduce cravings for drugs and alcohol. The main reason I have it is to help insomnia. You have to have an open mind about it. I know people who say it's "useless and how can a few needles solve insomnia and it didn't do a thing for me". It won't work with that attitude. However in a relaxed environment with soft soothing music, I've often nodded off when the needles are in place. It works for me and the more you have it, the better the results.
    • Posted

I am trying to focus on the days where I feel so good! I have more energy than I need tho, and then I get anxious that I won't be able to sleep (much like the sober night before) so I end up grabbing a bottle on the way home... I feel like such a failure...
  • Posted

Hello Peter,

As Linda says, it can be dangerous to go cold turkey. I don't think, at the level you have been drinking, you will get serious physical withdrawal symptoms, but if you do find yourself shaking, that is an indicator that you need an alcohol detox.

If not, good luck with it. You might find Nalmefene helpful, that has been discussed quite a lot in this forum. It appears to help some people quite a lot and others not so much, but it's an option, if you can get your GP to prescribe it.

One thing, do NOT be ashamed to say to friends that you are no longer drinking alcohol. It is no big deal to say that you found yourself getting into bad habits so decided to quit before it turned into a bigger problem. Decent friends will be pleased that you recognised it and dealt with it.

• Posted

Actually, I used to drink everyday and I stopped. Even though it's all behind me, all my current friends left me due to my past. So i disagree that his friends will understand.

• Posted

True friends will understand and want to help. ALL MY CURRENT FRIENDS LEFT ME DUE TO MY PAST

In that case you're better off without them. I soon found out who my true friends were when I got done for drink/driving. I didn't notice to start with, the lack of calls, texts, invitations to social events ect.

ok, it hurt a bit at first, Then I realised people who judge harshly and cut you off are not worth bothering with. Am I bothered? No, do I care what they think? No. If I were you Katie, I'd choose my friends wisely now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.