Chevron surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Everyone seems to talk alot about Scarf and Akins surgery. Has anyone had bunions done with Chevron surgery?

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had chevron osteotomy and Akins surgery done by MIS 8 weeks ago. 
    • Posted

How did it go? Are you up and around yet? As you can tell I'm getting the colly wobbles.

• Posted

Are you having MIS surgery? I was absolutely terrified before hand. However, it was much better than I had feared. I had a small amount of pain straight after I came round from the surgery but this was quickly sorted. I had some discomfort but very little real pain. I also had my hammer toe sorted and that was he most uncomfortable. I did keep on top of pain by taking regular pain killers even when I thought that I might not need them. I would definitely recommend this. To me there was no shame in doing this and trying to be brave! Sitting around was albiri v but just have to keep your mind on why you are doing it. I was also terrified of being able to no longer wear the special post surgical shoes fearing a lit if pain but I need. It have worried. I have had some discomfort but not as bad as I feared. My feet are still swollen and I have only been able to go outin walking shoes over the last few days. Before that I was wearing walking sandals with socks! Not a glamorous look.  big toes were very stiff but have been doing some physio exercises and now one  big toe is not yet lying flat but it is improving. I am getting around quite well. Was a bit shocked when the surgeon suggested at 6 weeks that I could walk a mile! However, I can do this now having built it up over the last couple of weeks. Hope that this helps. If you want to know anything else then just ask
    • Posted

I'm not having MIS. But my consultant has promised me I will be pleased with minimal scar. Just got to grit my teeth and get on withit. I'm booked in on 23/01/15.

• Posted

Sure that he is right. The scar will be fine but as long as you are in less pain then that is the main thing. Good luck
  • Posted

My op is described in part as Right chevron

bunionecotomy, had it on October 10th. I've read of a

few types of bunion surgery but not really sure what

the differences are.

• Posted

Hi. I had a Chevron Osteotomy and lateral release in July last year on my right foot. I had my operation under general anaesthetic but the surgeon also gave me a total foot block so I felt no real pain for the following 12 hours. As soon as I got home I had to take paracetamol and codeine as I was told to keep on top of any pain that I would get. My foot was in plaster and I was given a shoe to wear that enabled me to heel walk. I had to wear the shoe for 6 weeks and although it wasnt the nicest looking shoe, it did enable me to hobble about. I was also told to elevate my foot and only get up to go to the toilet. After 2 weeks I had to return to the hospital to have the plaster removed and stitches taken out. My foot was bruised and my big toe was very swollen. Another plaster was put on my foot which stayed on for a further 4 weeks until I had it removed at 6 weeks post op. My foot was swollen and I was advised to rest and elevate as much as possible. The surgeon did tell me that I have had a screw inserted in my toe but I cannot feel it at all. I did find that for some time I couldnt put my big toe to the ground but this did right itself as the tendons stretched. I had a total of 11 weeks off work as my job involves standing and walking as I work in a supermarket. It has taken 12 months for my foot to heal properly but now I can walk normally on it and the scar has faded to just a silver line. I didnt have any follow up appointments nor any physiotherapy after discharge. The key thing is to elevate the foot as much as possible. It is a long recovery but is worth it in the end.
    • Posted

Elizabeth you could be describing my own op

except I didn't have the screw.

I'm nearly 8 weeks post op my toes are not

straight even wearing yod spacers as advised

and tonight for the first time I'm sure I can see

an outline of my bunion returning...

disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I

feel. Did you have any of these symptoms?

• Posted

Hi misskh

I had this problem with scarf osteotomy. I could tell my bumps were still there as soon as the plaster was off.  Well disappointed! !. My GPs wrote to my surgeon that I'm not happy with my result. I'm just waiting for a reply. That will be another couple of weeks at the least. But I can't just let it be after going through everything. I'd rather go it through again and have a better result this time. Are you not going to question it?

• Posted

I had scarf osteotimy and some other extensive work on my feet. They were supposed to do akins but decided against it. I t has improved but I am still not very happy as I feel toe is curving I wards quite severely. I had left foot done 20 yrs ago with excellentt result.

I still have some healing to do but think I need a revision to do the Akins. My surgeon said this is possible and someone on here had to have akins fone separately after surgery.

• Posted

How long has it been since your op?

I really don't know what to do.... my foot is still a bit swollen. Hubby says wait.

Like you, I went through, in my case a double

bunionecotomy to get rid of the lumps.

They were fine when casts came off up until

tonight, infact I couldn't stop looking and

thinking it strange not having the bunion....

maybe I'm seeing things.

• Posted

I had scarf osteotimy and some other extensive work on my feet. They were supposed to do akins but decided against it. I t has improved but I am still not very happy as I feel toe is curving I wards quite severely. I had left foot done 20 yrs ago with excellentt result.

I still have some healing to do but think I need a revision to do the Akins. My surgeon said this is possible and someone on here had to have akins done separately after surgery.

Is frustrating as with so much work done I dont understand why the did not do Akins. I have 12 week check in January so will update you then having said that they have done a great job with my toes and hopefully now I will have less ball of foot pain.

I think us one of those things and not due to lack if skill but maybe Akins was a border line decision for them.i wore bunion brace post stitch removal which helped but withiut it my tie starts to drift and is undoung the good work if the bunion repair.

• Posted

Hi Misskh. The big toe on my right foot still leans in a bit and isnt totally straight but the bunion has gone. I havnt noticed an outline of the bunion on that foot but I had my left foot operated on 20 weeks ago and although my big toe is straight the side where the bunion was isnt as straight as the right foot. This last bunion op was a scarf akin as the bunion wasnt as severe as my right foot. I also wear insoles prescribed by a podiatrist as I have been told I am flat footed and have been told that this can be one of the causes of bunions. I really dont want them to return. It doesnt worry me too much that my big toe isnt totally straight as my bunion doesnt hurt now when I walk and that was the main reason why I had the operation. I do hope your op was a success, my gp tried to talk me out of having it done the first time I saw him about my bunions saying it was a horrible proceedure. I found the op itself not too bad but the actual recovery time is long and has been more painful for me than the operation itself.
    • Posted

Yes I am in the UK. Double bunionectomy as well. I had it done in Salford Oaklands hospital. I waited as well.  Sorry I'm 2 months post op. Waited for swelling to go down. All swellings more or less gone now. But bumps still there. 😣
    • Posted

I had my op as my feet were so painful and the

bunion on right foot had pushed big toe under

the second toe, also right one wouldn't fit

comfortably into shoes.

I walk alot and it was becoming so painful, as

long as I'm eventually pain free and can wear

footwear other than Fitflops I don't mind if my

toes are straight.

• Posted

We must of had our ops around the same

time, October 10th was mine. In writing to the

surgeon did your Dr agree that the outcome was

disappointing?

• Posted

Well the only reason I'm going back to my surgeon and questioning it is because if anybody was to see my feet for the first time they'd think I need bunion surgery now. I know they will start hurting once I get into my size 4 shoes again. I never did it for cosmetic reasons. I do a lot of walking too and they used to throb. I don't want to go through that pain again.
    • Posted

I had my op on the 6th October. 

Yes I asked my GP that if this was the first time you saw my feet you'd think I'm in need of bunion surgery wouldn't you. She agreed.

• Posted

I won't deny it. I am nervous going back to the surgeon because I've heard that they never accept their faults but I have to show him the outcome.
    • Posted

Totally agree with the "not for cosmetic reasons"

and I think if my foot continues to look like the

bunion is returning I'll ring the hospital where I

had my op...surgeon is based up north and only

there every other Friday. Really wish I'd asked

more questions.

• Posted

Jazzy.....elizabeth...

did either of you have any screws/pins inserted

in your toes?

just asking as chatting on another forum and I

seem to be the only one who didn't.

• Posted

Well this is it you see I have. I have 2 screws not in my toes but at the first metatarsal joint but there still doesn't seem to be any kind of allingment. Think I seriously need Akin procedure done too like someone mentioned.
    • Posted

Thank you jazzy. According to my notes I had

Right chevron and left bunionecotomy 1st MTand

2nd toe exterior tenotomy.

So wish I'd have asked more indepth questions

as I've not a clue what any of that means.

I'm not sure if as the swelling is going down

its showing more of the foot shape and after

years of having bunions I don't know what it

should look like, feet come in so many different

shapes.

As I mentioned my surgeon comes down from

Manchester every fortnight for 2 days...he was

a lovely man but very quiet....not very talkative.

• Posted

Well I just hope we both make some good progress😌
    • Posted

sorry late replying. I had screws in both my chevron osteotomy and scarf and akins ops. Cant feel or see the shape and position of them and the surgeon said they are permanent.
    • Posted

The Circle hospital in Reading. Was done on the NHS but its a private hospital.
    • Posted

Mine was like that. As in it was done under nhs but is a private hospital😕
    • Posted

I really misjudged it. Thought being a private hospital the treatment would be better and the whole environment as well but I was so wrong. Unless it was because I was an nhs patient. Wish I could go back in time😢
    • Posted

Bless you...would you of still had the operation?

why go back in time?

As it was a private hospital could you have rang

them and asked to speak to someone regarding

your foot instead of going through the Drs?

The surgeon that done my op was down today I was in two minds to phone but hubby said my

feet look ok.

• Posted

Oh yes no questions about having the surgery done. Most definitely. Maybe I'd change where I would have had it done. Probably at my local hospital Bolton Royal. 

The reason why I had to go back to my GP is that I wasn't discharged by my surgeon.  It was a lady practitioner who works under him. I addressed my concerns to her but was very quickly dismissed. I still wasn't happy so I rang up the next day and asked to speak to the surgeon.  The receptionist said I wasn't a patient of his anymore and if wanted to get in touch with him I would have to through the whole referral process again. You can imagine my disappointment 😣

• Posted

Ah I see... thats a shame it really wouldn't have

hurt for them to spare you 10 minutes to put your

mind at rest.

Do you think you'll have to wait long to see the

surgeon again?

• Posted

I just hope he sees me and doesn't make excuses to tell you the truth. 

I can see it being a couple of weeks at least before l hear from them.

Hope its sooner😞

• Posted

Hopefully it'll all work out fine.

I must admit my surgeon was there during everystep of my OP, he did the consultation, OP

dressings and discharge....told me he didn't like anyone else touching, for want of a better word,

his patients.

Do let me know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi misskh

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Think it was to do with being really disappointed with my outcome. Remember I said I wasn't happy and was going to be referred back to the surgeon who did my surgery. Well I finally saw him in January and he was soooo adamant that he did everything he could with my feet and that my feet would never be straight. Can you imagine my disappointment. I asked him about different procedures like akin and he said he could never do that on my feet due to not having enough space somewhere between the two metatarsal bones or joints or something.

Anyway i went for a second opinion and the surgeon was really nice. Explained things really well. With out me even mentioning anything he started showing me what he could do. I straight away recognised what he was showing me. I asked him "is that the akin procedure" he said yes. Can you imagine my relief😊😊😊

• Posted

Hello there... gosh so are you going to have a second surgery

done?

I must confess I had a melt down and ended up phoning my

surgeons secretary when I was 10 weeks post op as I was in

pain when I walked and was convinced something was a miss,

this all stems from the fact that I never had an x-ray at 6 weeks

when I was discharged so hadn't seen the corrected foot. She

was really lovely and told me to pop overthag evening and she'd

get the surgeon to see me.

He said that he never makes the toes straight as every day

shoes have a slight bend in them and if he did the toe may

press against the side....which made sense.

He also x-rayed my foot which did show that the toe bone was

aligned correctly its just that the top of the toe had a slant. I also don't have any screws as he said these can sometimes cause

problems and have to be removed. I have to go back in March

and see him.

I also saw a podiatrist on Monday just gone and when I

mentioned the boney lump on the top of my foot she didn't think

it was too bad. I explained to her that I wasn't walking as good

as I should be and my toes were still really sore she bent them

back and forth and said they were really stiff and felt that it was

not conected to the OP, she watched me walk bare foot and said

my toes don't touch the floor when I move and this was caused

by my toes not sitting in the correct way....she pushed on the ball

of my foot and my toes sort of realigned themselves to where

they should be. She said she will send me some insoles for my

shoes that are designed to correct the problem and will send for

me in a few weeks to see how things are getting on. Although I

can still see the dorsel bunion, as I call it, and I'd love to see it

gone as when I wear sandals it catches on the strap I don't think I'd have another OP unless if was minimal invasive surgery.

I've a feeling the surgeon will leave things as they are. Since I've

been doing some exercises to my toes that the podiatrist

showed me the pain has really eased in my feet so some good

there.

Would be good to hear how you go on and if you're happy with

the outcome if you do decide on more surgery.

• Posted

Hi misskh,

I think as long you're happy with what you're doing without any more surgery then that's fine.

The thing with my feet is my pain is just as much from the bunions now as it was before surgery if not more some times.

The rest of my feet and my toes are fine. Flexibility wise and everything.

I think il wait till August and if I still feel the same il start the ball rolling from then because it takes a couple of months for appointments to start coming through. So Yeh hope it all gets better for you from now on too and will keep you posted 😉

• Posted

Long time ago now.... but just looking through old posts and

wondered if you had any more surgery done on your feet?

• Posted

Hi,

Nice to hear from you.

I am actually in the process of being referred to the second surgeon now.

Hoping I won't have to wait too long.

Can't wait till its all done,hopefully properly this this time round😊

How are you?

Did you go back in March and have xray again?

• Posted

Hello jazzy

oh my my... Even when I pinged this post back up I didn't

re-read it...... I was never sent the appointment for March, so, no

I didn'tgo back and totally forgot about it. However my feet still

looked wrong and I was given orthotics when I went to see a

NHS Podiatrist which have done nothing to ease the situation.

She ended up by telling me to return to my Dr if things still didn't

improve.

well on Friday just gone I visited a private Podiatrist to see if she could suggest anything. The only thing she recommends and

that needs doing is revised surgery and sooner rather than later.

So I'm worried sick about being told that I can't have corrective

Surgery but the podiatrist said that they do do it on the NHS and as its needed to prevent further problems....my toes don't touch

the floor and are bending inwards and also turning upwards

causing all the toes to move.....I really should stand my ground

and make sure I get the treatment I need.

so I'm going to contact the Dr tomorrow and pray that they send me to see a consultant....really don't want to see the same one

as last time. Keeping my fingers....and probably very soon my

toes crossed.

floor and are all bending to the outsides.....

• Posted

I have absolutely no idea where that last sentance came from!
    • Posted

Hi,

Lol😄

I really hope and pray that another surgeon can do a revision surgery on you.

Even though mine is in the process il only be properly happy about it when it's finally done and all goes well.

I'm sure you can ask for another surgeon because I wouldn't want the same one operating me on my feet either.

I will keep you posted and hopefully likewise.

I wasn't paying alot of attention to the site recently but your name seemed familiar and that's the only reason why I clicked on the message.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi jazzy... it's good that you are back in the system and started

the ball rolling.

I have an appointment to see my Dr on Thursday so all I can do

is hope that she will at least put me down for a consultation with

someone.....but I definatly do not want to go back to the previous

surgeon.

I have a friend who works at a hospital and she asked

to have a chat with th orthopedic surgeon there and he is 99.9%

Certain that I should of had metal work inserted and can't

understand why it wasn't put in place.

Thank you for keeping me updated. Will be good to hear your

results.

• Posted

Hi I had bonuion surgery about 7 weeks now and went in to remove a pin from my big toe .. Looked at my X-ray and was surprised there is as no screws or pins or plates.. I'm a little worried that I haven't heard of this before.. I thought that screws and pins were to hold toe In place so bonuion won't come back .. But I'm having a lot of pain at the bottom of my toe but other then that I feel okay just can't fit into any shoes or men slippers.. 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.