Do I go for surgery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After two months of fear because my hand is numb, swollen, and too stiff to use after it came out of plaster following a broken wrist and being discharged from hospital with the encouraging words "You should get some of the use of your hand back eventually..." I finally got to see another consultant. 

He has diagnosed CRPS and has booked me in for emergency surgery on Friday.  I don't know who will be doing the operation or what they are going to do.  Do I turn up at the appointed time and ask then or not go and just live with it?  I am very lucky as the pain is not severe, just numbness, cold and over sensitivity on the skin

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Depends on what they are planning on doing to your wrist - I broke my ankle (tib n fib) lomg time ago now and had so many ops on it I have CRPS and i am in constant pain - I have since found out that there is a possibility if I hadnt let them operate on it so often (causing more nerve damage wach time) that the pain may not be as severe as it is. When my ankle healed i still couldnt walk properly without a severe limp - after z plasty and manipulations I had to have it fused (my leg and ankle are like a join the dots puzzle with scarring) - I have since had private c
  • Posted

Sorry hit send before i finished ;-)

I basically got a second opinion about the amount of surgery I had on my injured ankle and have since been told the level of crps could have been caused by the excessive amounts of surgery I had - there is no way of proving this but before you let them operate again be sure to ask what the reward will be and the % of use pain relief you will get from it - sometimes it is on a 'possibly fix it ever so slightly' mode when really you could be causing yourself more unnecessary damage - good luck with it though and rely do hope they can gove you back some proper use of your hand soon

• Posted

I'd wait. You need to know exactly what they are going to do. You've got your CRPS diagnosis. I think it's too early to go down the surgery route. Get regular physiotherapy where you'll have desensitisation. If your pain is not too severe you should respond well to physio.
  • Posted

I would wait I was told surgery ain't good when u have crops I have it I had two surgery one the side arm ended up with it when I took my wrap off after my second surgery I didn't want to b touched I knew something was wrong I was in so much pain and my Dr left me like that said I was fine no worries then the pain got worse and worse I would cry myself to sleep every night and he kept saying it was normal its normal ur fine well months later I went to a pain center bc they said I had chronic pain and that Dr fell over in disbelief that I made it Thur these months in so much pain and he said u have it and he just left u like that not careing at all nothing for pain no nerve meds or anything I said nope he left me like that well finally I got some relief from this Dr he's been so great I have had some injections didn't work but he's going out of his way surgery isn't gonna help and my Dr specialized in this area and he told surgery won't help if I was u I would get a second opinion to b on the safe side bc this can get worse bc mine has u can tell my arm is different and the pain I can badly fiction my Dr was surprised I made it with the pain but I did hard but I made now my pain has gotten a lot worse if I was u I would do ur resherch this girl I speek to almost every day she lives in another country but she HAS help me alot if it wasn't for her I wouldn't know what to ask my Dr or anything she's been so great to me she knows who she is and I talk to her when I'm down bc u do get pretty depressed about it but do ur resheach before u decide anything sorry my spelling is bad my hand doesn't work so good in The morning but get a 2nd opinion if I was u good luck 
  • Posted

i am an admin for a fb support group,called crps/rsdfighters.i started it as there is such little help out there for all of us,i try to always answer CRPS problems on patient.info! i am bedbound and want people to be prevented from ending up like me!Pleeeease take 500mg of vitamin c daily.this helps prevent any spreads or flare ups! 1500mg after an operation for 2 weeks! ANY INJURY CAN LEAD TO A SPREAD! ESPECIALLY ANOTHER OPERATION.EVEN WHEN HAVING BLOOD TAKEN,THEY MUST USE THE SMALLEST NEEDLE,AS THIS IS STILL AN INJURY! THIS IS FROM WIKI!......Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) formerly reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), "causalgia", or reflex neurovascular dystrophy (RND) is an amplified musculoskeletal pain syndrome (AMPS). It is a chronic systemic disease characterized by severe pain, swelling, and changes in the skin. CRPS is expected to worsen over time.[1][citation needed] It often initially affects an arm or a leg and often spreads throughout the body; 92% of patients have reported experiencing its spread, and 35% of patients report symptoms throughout their whole body.[2]Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is a multifactorial disorder with clinical features of neurogenic inflammation (swelling in the central nervous system), nociceptive sensitisation (which causes extreme sensitivity or allodynia), vasomotor dysfunction (blood flow problems which cause swelling and discolouration) and maladaptive neuroplasticity (where the brain changes and adapts with constant pain signals); CRPS is the result of an "aberrant [inappropriate] response to tissue injury".[3] Treatment is complicated, involving drugs, physical therapy, psychologic treatments, and neuromodulation and is usually unsatisfactory, especially if begun late.CRPS has the unfortunate honour of being described as the most painful long term condition (of those that have been tested), scoring 42 out of a possible 50 on the McGill pain scale, above such events as amputation and childbirth.[7]

CRPS is not caused by psychological factors, yet the constant pain and reduced quality of life has been known to cause psychological problems (such as increased depression and anxiety).[8] Evidence suggests that CRPS has both physical and psychological factors. Although "research does not reveal support for specific personality or psychopathology predictors of the condition," CRPS is associated with psychosocial effects, including impaired social and occupational function. In addition, the very poor quality of life, for some, has led to high rates of depression and suicide among sufferers, which has motivated appeals for greater understanding.[9]

Daily vitamin C has been shown to reduce the risk of CRPS after an injury, leading to calls for greater awareness, especially in the emergency room setting. In two placebo-controlled randomized clinical trials, Zollinger, et al., showed that patients who took 500 mg of vitamin C daily after a wrist fracture were less likely to develop CRPS afterwards.[10] The cause of CRPS is currently unknown. Precipitating factors include injury and surgery, although there are documented cases where no injury had occurred at the original site.[citation needed] I HOPE THIS INFORMATION GIVES YOU SOME HELP MY LOVE.NEED OUGHT,JUST SHOUT HUN,ALL THE BEST,LOVE SLEBBY33 (SARAH) XXX

• Posted

I Dont have fb that's the bad thing and I have no one around here that has it I ended up with after my 2nd surgery and then my doc said there's nothing wring and left me for 6 months in a lot of pain so I Dont have anyone to ask about stuff and I Dont have fb so I can go onto that site which probley would b very helpful bc my husband Dont understand anything about this and that u get really depressed and how bad the pain is him family thinks I'm just jokeing about it and that it Dont hurt that bad I wish I could raise awareness around here for ppl to understand about this I wish there was like print outs or paplets that I could show them that its real that I have it and its very painful bc im in a lot of pain and it just gotten really bad they say I'm not in any pain if I can get up to take care of my family which I do every day no matter the pain I have it in my right arm which I'm right handed and it sucks to have this and no one to really talk to about it bc ppl Dont get it 
  • Posted

Hello I have been diagnosed with crps and I am confused about what is happening in my body. I was wondering what surgery your doctor sent you in for because my doctor said it was incurable... Please get back to me thank you
    • Posted

It was carpal tunnel surgery.  I did go ahead with it because the surgeon was so insistent and no other treatment was offered.  DON'T do it!!

it was a massive mistake and I still have a lot of pain round the scar.  Eventually I got intensive physiology which helped a lot and I mostly manage without painkillers although I can't bear anything round my wrist, which is annoying as I'd like to wear a watch and am sad I can't wear my wedding ring.  I get tired more quickly than I did before and then it gets worse but mostly I am getting on with life and counting myself fortunate

• Posted

Sometimes people need other surgery directly or indirectly

It is not to get rid of crps, you are right to say there is no cure.

I might need surgery because crps has caused problems but

Won't cure crps, indeed it may have terrible impact. Will have

to decide when time comes. Hope this helps. I am a new

patient too, it's terrifying!

• Posted

Should have been physiotherapy not whatever I said!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.