Dry ejaculation

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have recently started taking tamsulosin hydrochloride and am experiencing dry orgasms. I am finding this unsatisfactory is there an alternative drug for enlarged prostrate which will not cause this problem?

Should I consider surgery? sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am having the same! side effects of Flomax(Tamsulosin HCL). Besides my clinical experience in Pediatric oncology pharmacy at Mass. General Hospital in Boston, I really can't know all the side effects of most newly prescribed meds, including some meds that I have been taking for my "changes" in life, but I quite thoroughly do my homework on meds for my enlarged proste gland(58yrs). The reports that say that this drug "may cause" inhibition of semen ejactulation, but it does! I have dry orgasms, and to boot, this drug, in my case, doesn't help my shrinkage. I still have moderate to severe urination inhibition. I was prescribed this drug last yeat from a urologist. I tried it for one week. Coffee, or an alcoholic beverage works great. I went back to the physician and he said "what's your problem? You're not gonig to have any children anyway. I was insulted and stopped the drug. I wonder what side the the FDA is on? The same goes goes for "Statin" type drugs for lowering your lipid profiles. They "DO" cause Rhamdomyolysis (muscle damage), like me.(Simvastatin 20mgQD). I had to stop because of severe muscle pain.

I would like to hear from other patients that are having these problems. Most meds have more damaging side effects that the indicated effects. The problem is not every practitioner mentions some of the serious effects. Sincerely yours, HCB

• Posted

To Bob Jolly regarding Flomax(TamsulosinHCL)0.4mg. 1 cap./per day. I am not your urologist, nor a Genital urinological surgeon. If it was me, I would be cautious about surgery. Speak to a couple of urological physicians to see if you have other alternatives first. From my experience, I have a couple of friends, and a relative, that were checked for kidney stones and alternate meds, before surgery. One person had successful prostate surgery by removing the prostate gland, if cancerous, but fortunately he still had the nerves to have an erection and orgasm, but compromised semen flow. The other had radiation on the gland, and it held. The last one had the gland removed, but lost the nerves that allow pleasure. I don't know how old you are, but the quicker and complete diagnostics are quite important.

Good luck, Henry CB.

• Posted

Yes... It does cause Dry Ejaculations.. I too have an Enlarged Prostate and given this Medication, only started to take it 1 weeks ago, and was soooooooooo worried because of the Dry Ejaculate... Why ? didn't the Doctor tell me This.. I have spent 7 days Frantic with worry. Thank God for the Computer, Google and this Site... at least i now know....
  • Posted

I am now in my third month of taking tamsulosin to treat a mildly enlarged prostate with symptoms which include frequent visits to the bathroom during the night. After effects include dull orgasm and dry ejaculation. I reported this to my GP, a lady doctor who did not see this as an important issue. I have also experienced palpitations, always during the night which add to sleep deprivation. Are there any other medications which might better suit me? I am type 2 diabetic being treated with metformin and also take atrovastatin and blood pressure lowering drugs.
  • Posted

I began and have experienced dry ejaculation.  Doctor did not discuss side effects.
    • Posted

Hi,

I have been taking Alfuzosin Hydrochloride (AH) for my enlarged prostate problem for several years. A few months ago I began to get concerned that they were becoming less effective. So after consultation with my doctor I was prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride (TH) to try as an alternative.

Well! My first dry ejaculation was a worrying experience but after the third time I stopped taking the TH. I`d only taken it for a total of 10 days and as the benefits were no better than my previous medication I went back to AH. My doctor had not mentioned this as a side effect when he prescribed it, maybe he thought I was too old to be concerned!!!

Anyway, unless there is an underlying medical reason for prescribing TH and dry ejaculations are not an issue for you, I would go back to your doctor and discuss alternatives such as AH.

• Posted

Hi,

I have been taking Alfuzosin Hydrochloride (AH) for my enlarged prostate problem for several years. A few months ago I began to get concerned that they were becoming less effective. So after consultation with my doctor I was prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride (TH) to try as an alternative.

Well! My first dry ejaculation was a worrying experience but after the third time I stopped taking the TH. I`d only taken it for a total of 10 days and as the benefits were no better than my previous medication I went back to AH. My doctor had not mentioned this as a side effect when he prescribed it, maybe he thought I was too old to be concerned!!!

Anyway, unless there is an underlying medical reason for prescribing TH and dry ejaculations are not an issue for you, I would go back to your doctor and discuss alternatives such as AH.

• Posted

Bob if you have a TURP you will have partial dry ejaculation but the feeling is not as dull as when taking dreadfull drugs. Dont be afraid of a TURP as it improves your quality of life out of sight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.