Perthes Affecting Me In Later Life

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Perthes Disease at the age of 3 but my parents were told we would just have to keep an eye on it, so I was checked up on by the consultant every 6 months.

At the age of 9 or 10 I was discharges after no medical treatment....

I am now 22 years old and am suffering with increased pains in the same hip and it seems to be preventing me from doing the 2 activities I enjoy most - horse riding and motorbiking. I can be doing either and about 10 mins into it my hip is so painful.

What I would like to know is......is this normal?

I have been trying to get in with my GP for the past 6 weeks so I can be referred back to the consultant at the hospital (he told me to do so if any problems) but my surgery is ridiculous and I cannot get an appt with my family GP so Im not sure what to do.

I have bought some crutches now off my own back as it seems it is the only way to aid me at the minute.

Any information/advice would be gratefully recd.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My son is now 11 years old. He got Perthes at the age of 4.

He has been put in a wheelchair for about 4 and a half years. After that time : he was allowed to step around. But the doctor was very clear in his advice for the future. If my son would start sporting (on a weekly basic) the chance that the head of his hip gives him problems again at the age of 20 is very big.

This is, says the doctor, because the new builded head of his hip isn't as strong as the original bones. His hip will be worned out when it will be aggraveted too much.

So his advise is that my son should walk around without doing sports on daily, weekly basic. Accept swimming, riding a bicycle - all the other sports are too damaging.

I suppose that in your case....doctors never give you that advice. And now your head of your hip seems to be worned out. Here in Belgium the only thing you can do is to implant a new hip...

I hope you find a doctor with enough experience with this disease to help you along.

• Posted

hi

i had perths when i was 8 in 1978 i had a metal plate fixed to my hip for two years and then it was removed .

after 3 years i began playing fooyball which i played till i was 30 and i have also worked as a builder since i was 16 i am now 40 and my hip has only given me a few problems , about 2 years ago i started getting pains in my hip and somedays i couldnt walk. my doctor sent me for physio in hospital and they said i had to build my hip muscles to ease the pain and it worked i am now pain free , after reading some of the posts on here i can only stress that you find a doctor who knows perthsand how best to treat the problem

hope you are better soon

• Posted

Hi,

I had perthes when I was about 5 years old and had intensive physiotherapy for about 6 months and then they decided to operate. I had the same as the other guest who had a metal plate fixed to my hip for two years and then it was removed. 

I still have issues with my hip and it does hurt now and then but I was told to do excerise to strength it and it seems to have helped. I rock climb, i've done 3 winter seasons and love snowboarding, hike, swim, biking, used to kayak and windsurf so I'm not sure whats best. I just thought you might has well enjoy life and see what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.