Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 400 experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

After taking just one of these, my blood pressure dropped from 127/76 to 112/60 with pulse dropping from 76 to 55.

Every time I tried to relax, my heart thumped oddly in my chest and felt as though it was trying to \"stop\", which was exceptionally unnerving.

I will never take another one and hope these comments help you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

my dad is 87, on various heart, high blood pressure , cholesterol tablets and high dose insulin. he was pescribed these tablets nov 2009, he seemed quiet but was hard to tell as he is pretty sedentary, the following week we went to the uroligist at hospital and when they took his blood pressure foun d it had dropped from usual 180/120 to 87/63 they panicked and told me not to give him any more any more, they said he was lucky to be alive and if his appointment had not been a week after he started taking them he probably would have died. beware if you are taking high blood pressure meds
  • Posted

I have been taking 400 mg of tamsolosin for 7 years now. At first it had a lot of secondary effects but I preferred those to not being able to pee!

now my body has got used to it more - it kinda learns somehow, I think to adjust BP better. But swallowing is a problem because it affects the muscle at the bottom of the throat. But I am careful to recognise it's having problems and then take smaller mouthfuls when it cannot manage normal mouthfuls.

But overall the side effects are much less than when I first started taking it.

• Posted

I've been taking 400 mg of tamsulosin for about three weeks, with good results and none of the side effects mentioned in the leaflet - but I have noticed that pills & capsules tend to lodge at the stomach entrance more than before - I need to wash them down or eat something substantial afterwards. Not sure if this is just a coincidence, but your post suggests it could be the tamsulosin. I guess alpha blockers act on all muscle of the same type...
    • Posted

Yes, I have taken tamsulosin 400mg for 7 years now.

They do need a good strong swallow with water or they get stuck in the throat.

Also, the sphincter at the bottom of the throat is affected a bit because it is similar tissue to prostrate I believe.

I cannot swallow sardines - quite dangerous I need to be careful swallowing - not too much and give time for food to get to the tummy.

Hope that helps..

• Posted

Thanks Steve, it's good to know it can be effective over the long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.