what does everyone do about work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i,m interested to know what everyone with R.A or psoriatic arthritus or similar does for work as i had to give up work, against doctors advise, because i was feeling like crap at work and couldnt carry out half my jobs in the time others could. i was a groundworker on building sites so yes very physical work at times and lots of bending and lifting. the more i do, the worse i feel and i feel exhausted most the time now. anyone else feel this way? my medication is salazopyrin

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have fortnightly blood tests which now show my immune system is very low and I am picking up lots of infection. The worst aspect is being shaterringly tired, unable to get through the day without lying down,-which is the opposite of what I am usually. There has been some benefit to my knee but my fingers are as swollen and inflexible as ever. I am not sure what to do!!!

• Posted

Hi, 

im newly diagnosed with RA. Still not 100 % with my diagnosis as no matter what combo of meds I take (been 10 months now) nothing seems to have an affect on my pain, and I appear to get every side effect going!....

Anyway I'm on the verge of losing my job, it's very demanding and stressful at times (midwife), like you I'm finding the exhaustion of just everyday tasks a nightmare!  And same again with the quantity of work, so no idea how I'm going to keep going. It's  sad as it's taken 4 years of blood sweat and tears to get my dream job. Hopefully will find a balance soon so I can keep going with what I love. 

• Posted

Hi 

When you get a long term condition, it affects all sorts of aspects of your life.

Try writing down a list of all the things you enjoy doing (not just work related) and the skills you are good at.  Compare each skill with another on your list, and score 2 for the best and 1 for the other.  This will then give a list of your skills in order or achievement (high to low)

Then do a search for jobs involving the skills you are best at and find out what qualifications or experience they need.

As someone with a disability, there is additional support to get onto courses.

Access to Work will help by providing you with equipment to help you to carry out your job despite any functional limitations.

Get your cv done - always a boost for the old self esteem!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.