Ulnar Sided Hand/Wrist Pain for over 6 months, what is it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having pain in my right wrist and hand for over 6 months now. It mostly feels like a dull ache/pain and often tenderness which is on the little finger side (ulnar side) of my hand which comes and goes. Recently (within the last month or 2) the pain has spread up to my little finger knuckle joint which also feels tender when the pain flares up, the ache sometimes extends into my forearm as well still on that one side. I've had routine hand x rays (AP, lateral, oblique) which was said to be normal and also an ultrasound of median nerve and flexor tendons which was normal (will upload xray image on here). In the past I have fallen off the skateboard a few times, the worst fall caused me to have stabbing pains in my right wrist when it happened and for a few days it hurt to do anything with it, it never swelled, and it settled to a mild pain, I had problems for a few months after that, I couldn't do the push up position without that wrist hurting a fair bit, and it still is sore when I try now but not as bad, that fall would've been over a year ago though.

When I went to a new Dr about it they did this test which pulled my arm back and stretched my ulnar nerve and I nearly jumped out of my skin, I had severe pain shoot down my arm and into my hand and fingers, so he has ordered me a nerve conduction test because he thinks it might be something to do with the ulnar nerve because of the area of pain and that positive ulnar stretch test. This confuses me because I don't have typical nerve pain or symptoms ( like tingling, numbness or electric shock like pain). My hand just feels achy, sore and tender. I feel like it is most tender when I press around the hamate bone area on the palm and also on the top of the hand where the base of the 4th and 5th metacarpal/hamate bone is, but nothing showed on the xray so this confuses me. One thing I did notice though was a little black triangular shaped thing near the base and right side of my 5th metacarpal bone on the x ray, now i've only studied a tiny bit of radiography and I know nothing about the hand, but that doesn't look normal to me? Let me know what you think, please help!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

my middle finger was first swollen during bowling and has been swollen for two days. Also i cant bend it or move it without pain
  • Posted

I injured my wrist six months ago, June 2016, still cannot use it for sports or anythisng that requires any strength. Same symtoms as you, almost exact. Dr said to have an MRI, waste of money, The only difference in mine vs yours was I continued to play golf three/four times a week until three weeks ago when is hurt so bad I could not play anymore. Trying to rest it now (winter) for a couple of months, using ice and a wrist wrap,  Any new help??  Jay Pisauro
  • Posted

Dealing with something similar =/ Only been a few weeks. If I stand with hands to the side, make a fist, then bend the wrist back so the knucles come up towards my arm, I can feel the dull pain on the ulnar side mostly around the bone that sticks out there, and also some pain in the middle back area of the hand. Just curious if it's the same for either of you guys. From my research there's a fair amount of possibility. Fractured hook of hamate, something with the TFCC, or some kind of tendonitis, and now maybe ulnar nerve. Any updates?

How about you Jay? Any luck with your rest? I hurt mine golfing, hitting off matts in the 30 degree weather.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.