I have muscle wastage/weakness...what can it be?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Although I try to be as active as possible my muscles are making life for me difficult, as for years they have been wasting, causing pain and tiredness. All other symptoms point to Fibromyalgia, which I believe doesn't cause muscle wasting.....also have Osteoarthritis.  My muscle problems started in my mid. 30s.....am now 63 and is much worse.  Recent blood tests show normal muscles values....but something must be wrong as my energy level is very low.  Has anyone been /going through the same??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You might like to try reading this page to see if it rings any bells for you. Many people with McArdle's only get diagnosed in their 50s and even later. But if you  have had a Creatine Kinase (CK) blood test and that was normal, then it is highly unlikely to be McArdle's.

http://www.agsd.org.uk/tabid/2814/default.aspx

• Posted

Thank you for the information.....have meanwhile read about McArdle's.

Although I do have some of the symptoms, the CK blood test the other day is normal, so can't point to this.  The muscle wasting I have bothers me the most, which is the cause of my other symptoms.  I don't get anywhere with doctors, as the tests show negative. Can severe osteoarthritis cause muscle wasting?

• Posted

With McArdle's we do get some muscle wasting mainly due to lack of use. But with your normal CK it does sound very unlikely that it is McArdle's. Sorry, I don't know about any connection of osteoprosis with muscle wasting. But I understand that weight bearing exercse is important for bone health, so maybe there could be a connection the other way round. Good luck with your search.
  • Posted

Hi Carol, I had my calves tighten and my arms would burn bad, take breaks brushing teeth.... I was diagnosed with metabolic myopathy.
    • Posted

Hi Nathan, "metabolic myopathy" is a category of conditions rather than a specific disease, it simply means a problem with chemical processing in the muscles. I am wondering whether they identified a specific condition for you?. What you describe fits McArdle's perfectly, although no doubt it could fit many other things as well. If you don't have a specific diagnosis, you might like to read the page I linked above for Carol. If it did turn out to be McArdle's there is a host of support available.
    • Posted

Hi Nathan,  I have those issue to. My Calves are always so tight and sore.  My arms seem to get weak quick now a days.  i never new how to explain to ppl .  Did you get any  thing to help out these issue I would really like  to here  back from you please i have been working out for 10 years now and the last 5 is when things started getting worse for me. 
  • Posted

I'm 32 and have been going to the gym 4-5 days a week for the last 3 years. Over the last few weeks, I've felt an incredible drop in energy and motivation. My shoulders and arms have suddenly become numb and shaky, to the point where I feel I've lost my upper body strength. After undergoing blood tests, my cortisol levels came back normal and there wasn't any sign of a muscle enzyme issue. It's scary. I try to be active, at least if I feel good I'll go walk or get out but most of the time I feel very weak and nauseous, almost like I have the flu.

• Posted

Hello,

What is muscle wastage?  I am 43 and i not sure how to discrib what i have .  for the passed i would say 5 years i am becoming more stiffer, i get muscle spasm anywhere in my body when i am working out or stretching.  all of my joints ache time to time i feel weakness in my ankles and knees.  My calf muscles are very sore all the time.  feel like they can spasms at any time but they dont.  All my blood test say everything is good.  I do have a bad back .  I have pulled out my lower back many times since i was 18.  I have just figure i should live with it as doctors may make it worse if i continue to tlel them to do more.  i figure they should of help me out teh first few visit but they seem to me not to no to much which is scary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.