Advice appreciated

Posted , 6 users are following.

I thought it was food poisoning and constipation. I took two laxatives. When I went to the toilet I nearly passed out with the pain. Then four days of fever and chills. Doctor prescribed antibiotics. No effect. One week later went to another doctor, ultrasound scan - diagnosed with diverticulitis - antibiotic dosage doubled. Low fiber diet prescribed. (I am sure this made me feel worse)  10 days of more antibiotics - no real improvement (though I kept working even though I felt terrible) I have now reached the one month mark. Fever and chills have gone, I think my colon feels a little better though still ongoing discomfort in lower left side. Question - why is it taking so long? Is is because I didn't bed rest? How long does it take for the discomfort to go? What's next Ct or colonoscopy? Any advice appreciated...

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Michael ,i hope you dont mind me being blunt ..You need to get this sorted quickly and not rely on waiting fand waiting for your Consultant to make a dicision on your health ,you have to DEMAND the scan and Colonoscopy  to see whats going on ....., I like you became ill with Bowel pain ,My GP said antibiotics would sort me out .Days later i underwent emergency Surgery for a ruptered bowel...quick as that  ..i dont think people realise an infection or cronic diverticulitus is a Killer
    • Posted

Hi Michael, I ended up in hospital 3 years ago and was on drips every day for a week. I had severe pain, heavy bleeding and collapsed in the hospital due to electrolytes being low because of the bleeding and going back and fore the toilet all day. The pain was the worse I have ever had. The Dr said I was going to have a CT scan while in hospital, but changed his mind and told me to have a colonoscopy in outpatients 6 weeks later which confirmed diverticulitis. 

I have'nt felt right since but have'nt had a bad attack. I am mostly constipated, so have to make sure I take laxatives now and then. I think I must have had antibiotics via the drip. I would'nt want to go through that pain / bleeding again. As far as I remember, I was not given any advice on what to eat. When I returned to outpatients I was told to phone an ambulance straight away if I bleed again. I was also told the diverticulitis was mild. If that was mild I don't know what a bad attack is like, because my attack was horrendous.

Perhaps you should have a colonoscopy to see how bad it is.       

• Posted

Sorry this message was meant for Michael.
    • Posted

Thank you. Your bluntness is appreciated. I will sort out the scan and scope immediately. I needed someone to write that. Thank you.
    • Posted

thank you Meryl. Will do. What you went through sounds horrific. I hope you feel better. Compared to you my situation was bearable. Get well.
  • Posted

Hello Michael

I have also had bad bouts of diverticultis and the hospital said " when it starts, do not eat for three days but drink lots and lots and lots of water. Next go on to very light food to allow the colon to heal. Try and get plenty of rest as I found it helps. Next  Gradually get back to small regular meals and in the morning have some bran scattered on porridge or cereals etc (a nice fine one can be bought in health food shop) Do not eat nuts, pips or skins. Hope you feel better soon and I wish you a happy diverticul free 2015 year.  Vera

• Posted

Thank you Vera - how long does the discomfort in the colon last after an attack with you?I finished the antibiotics a week ago and still can feel the odd pain, swollen nymph nodes etc?
  • Posted

Hello Michael

My attack was now just before Christmas and so all was put on hold regarding Xmas meals for me. I am only just begining to get back to what I call "normal"

I think the best thing to do is take notice of the after effects and go gently back to usual diet such as eat chicken and not red meats, Mashed potato is best and I have managed carrot mashed up and a few sprouts and gravy. Very slowly introduce other foods. Ive had Ice cream, Jelly, tin peaches ok so far also Ryvita with  butter and cream cheese. I have been also having each morning before my morning cuppa____ A glass of "Fybrogel" which can be bought from the chemist or perhaps on prescription from doctor. It can be got in an orange flavour and is not at all unpleasant to take. This helps to give bulk to stools and avoids constipation which is most important. I have found that wine, and other drinks can sometimes trigger attacks and as Ive mentioned before __--Keep off tomatoes and pips  also nuts. This all sounds a "downer" but it is better than having a frightening and unpleasantly painful Diverticular attack. Hope you are feeling abit better now. Another helpful thing I found was to have just one day a week on only liquids (not easy to do but it gives the gut a rest) Keep in touch Michael and let me know how you are. Best wishes for New Year.  Vera

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Things seem to be calming down. I still have the odd pang, here and there, but the tiredness and constant pain have gone. I have a CT booked for Monday. Will take your advice.
  • Posted

Hi Michael ,Nice to know your not alone ?? not really ,as i bet you wish you hadnt got this problem .As said in previous message ,my diverticulitus was unnoticed until the bowel perforated and nearly killed me . Thankfully (if that makes sence) yours is a  common complaint .My surgeon said the cause of diverticula problems are inborn ,he said you cannot prevent it ,but i  can ease   problems by looking at   diet .Write down what you eat ,when you eat it ,and how you are affected   ,note your good and bad days 

• Posted

Thanks...things a lot better. Just sensitivity after going to the toilet. I have the CT booked for monday. Still in shock - it's been one month of hell. A nasty surprise. I think it was brought on by stress...Thanks for the support.
  • Posted

Hello Michael. You are right in thinking that Stress can bring diverticular attacks.  I am a qualified Relaxation Therapist and have helped lots of people by teaching relaxation to them . A good tip to start is when you feel worked up about something to close your eyes, relax hands feet and legs(of course be sitting or lying down)

Clench fists and gradually release them __-Breathe deeply and slowly. Try to visualise a place where you were happy and contented and let your imagination continue with this picture for a time.  Then open your eyes and slowly get up.

I wish I were nearer to help but give it a try.  Vera

• Posted

I had this twice. Once about 2 years ago and im just going through it again. The first time my gp put me on nexium it worked until i stopped. So i did a repeat course for another month and the pain left.

This time my gp said i have the same as before ( stomach lining breach and acid burning wall)

So back on nexium .... so far so good.

Also he said i have pockets on the large intestine and its possible food gets trapped in these pockets and have caused pain.

Friends at work had similar symptoms and said stop eating seeds, nuts n anything hard that can get caught in the pockets.

Ive cut those out and have more yogurt. Yogurt feels really soothing to my stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.