Effects of taking the drug Losartan

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taken Losartan for almost a year now, and I find I have a very dry nouth, insomnia and at times a dry cough, sometimes  I fel like I am going to choke. Has anybody else experienced any of these symtomts while on Losartan

Valerie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking 100 mgs for 2 months and so far no side affects. Are you taking any other medications. I was taking benziphril for high blood pressure but it gave me a hacking cough so my doctor switched me to losatan becuse he said it has no side affects.
  • Posted

This drug caused a cough for me, I stopped the drug and the cough went away!
  • Posted

Valerie, I think that you are not drinking enough during the day and that you are somewhat dehydrated so that you have a dry mouth.

I am taking losartan at 75mg bd and no longer have a constipation problem since I decided to pour fluid into myself during the day, at nighttime and on waking.

The dry cough might be related to dehydration also in that your phlegm becomes stickier and more difficult to move.

Remember that losartan blocks the angiotensin's action of conserving fluid/water so that you are losing more.

• Posted

Often a diuretic is prescribed along with losartan....what should happen then? In my case when also taking a diuretic my urine output went way down and I had pain in my pelvic area.

• Posted

Frankly, I don't know! I've never been on a diuretic with my losartan.

I got pain in my pelvic area above the pubes, and I assumed it was bladder when taking losartan on its own.

I decided I was dehydrated, started to put water into me and have never had any further pain there nor constipation, which was associated with it, even though I've increased the dose by at least 50% in a day.

The losartan would allow more water out and the diuretic would do the same, I suppose.

Hence you got dry and your urine strong and irritating the bladder, but I'm guessing from my own experience.

• Posted

I might not have made sense. Maybe you did pass a lot of urine initially on the combination but weren't aware of it.

Then, your urine flow fell because there was less to get rid of.

Maybe the losartain needs water or equivalent, whilst the diuretic gets rid of something in addition to water.

• Posted

Beacuse of prostate problems over the years I always very aware of my output.

I had my first doses of losartan and a diuretic at 6am when in hospital after very high BP and and a stress ECG that indicated blocked arteries and was to have an angiogram that afternoon. I did not pass a drop all morning nor until well after the angiogram. The angiogram was clear and my the stress test was a false positive (my second) as was my third one three years ago. 

• Posted

I think you'll have to do some googling on pale and dark urine, don't you think?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.